Author Topic: JD and Toy Fair  (Read 18542 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
JD and Toy Fair
« on: February 13, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Yeah, but you've gotta admit, Rebelscum's Toy Fair coverage is pretty sweet.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Rebelscum
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Jedi Defenders coverage topped it.  :P  J/K

I actually thought Yak Faces coverage of ToyFair was pretty good. As was Galactic Hunters. I love Rebel Scums blurb about it, "Rebelscum's annual coverage of the 2006 International Toy Fair", I may be reading it wrong, but I didn't know the 2006 Toy Fair came every year.   ;D

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:29 PM »

Yeah, I'm digging that coverage they have of the new Little Mermaid collectibles.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 09:15 AM »

Yeah, I'm digging that coverage they have of the new Little Mermaid collectibles.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:23 AM »
I actually thought Yak Faces coverage of ToyFair was pretty good.

Thank you  ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 09:24 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 11:50 AM »

Well, at least you know new Little Mermaid collectibles are at Toy Fair. Seriously, WTF happened with the JD Toy Fair coverage? Is there a discussion about this somewhere?

There's got to be more to it than the sick/weather note on the front page. JD only sent one guy to Toy Fair?
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Seriously, WTF happened with the JD Toy Fair coverage?
There's got to be more to it than the sick/weather note on the front page.

Trust me Deanpaul, all the staff here is incredibly disappointed that we couldn't bring you coverage of Toy Fair.  But the "small" blizzard in New York combined with a very ugly illness prevented us from doing this. 

...edit...  Yes, JD sent one guy to Toy Fair.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 01:48 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Trust me Deanpaul, all the staff here is incredibly disappointed that we couldn't bring you coverage of Toy Fair.  But the "small" blizzard in New York combined with a very ugly illness prevented us from doing this. 

Jesse, your enthusiasm around here is great but your sarcasm doesn't answer my question. And let's be clear, this isn't just about you not bringing me coverage. There are other people here that were expecting to see a report and some pictures. It's been hyped on the main page all week, and I remember seeing a thread suggesting questions to be taken to the show that forum members were curious about for some time. It's been talked up for months, and then wasn't delivered or adequately discussed.

You say you’re disappointed? I don’t hear disappointed. I hear a shrug. I guess I was under the impression that Jedi Defender gave a crap about covering Toy Fair. It's not like this is the first time the NY report fell apart, remember 2004? Sure, they're just toys. But Jedi Defender has access to shows like Toy Fair that the average person doesn't, and this year even the nose-bleed sites managed to get someone there.

I'm not blaming Dave, or anyone else, but was Dave the only staff guy covering this? I'm just asking a simple question about what happened. One guy craps out (for the second time) and the whole thing doesn't happen? You might want to rethink that next year. No one else from the staff wanted to go along? C'mon.

I guess I thought Jedi Defender was a little more together than letting something like Toy Fair fall apart. Maybe it's just not that important to the site? Then say so. This debacle makes JD look like it has the organizational skills of a Junior High yearbook committee, if that. After all, they usually get the book out.

Thanks again for completely ignoring my original question. Overall, very poor performance. F-
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 02:26 PM »
You say you’re disappointed? I don’t hear disappointed. I hear a shrug.

You hear a shrug?  You don't think I'm disappointed?  Star Wars has been a hobby for me for so many years and it's given me so much.  This is actually one of the most exciting times everfor Star Wars collectibles as many companies have jumped on board to create some incredible lines.  And I certainly wanted to bring that to everyone at JD because it was very important to me.  However, did we let our members down?  Undoubtedly.  Why?  Perhaps we weren't organized enough, but certainly part of the reason is that, personally speaking, I don't have the finances to make it to all the toy shows. 

And to show how bad I feel for being a part of letting our great members down, I'm resigning my staff position here at JD.

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 03:35 PM »

And to show how bad I feel for being a part of letting our great members down, I'm resigning my staff position here at JD.

Okay, I know I'm not especially active in the forums here so my opinion probably means little, but how many others think this is not right?

So the TF coverage fell apart.  Does that make you any less of a leader for these forums?

I think not.

Ian
Moderator - www.thebothanspy.com
Former Admin - www.snowtroopers.ca

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 03:55 PM »

Okay, I know I'm not especially active in the forums here so my opinion probably means little, but how many others think this is not right?

So the TF coverage fell apart.  Does that make you any less of a leader for these forums?

I think not.

Ian

I agree Ian. Jesse has been an excellent staff member here, and I don't think that he should leave based on this solely alone. If there are other factors behind his resignation, thats fine, but I think that the site shouldn't lose a great staff member because of the Toy Fair coverage, or lack there of.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 03:59 PM »
C'mon Jesse...is it the reason for the Toy fair blunder or the reason you left in another forum about Hasbro's toy outputs this year? I don't think you should leave for all this... you are our 'balancer' after all :(.

Why couldn't we send more folks. Does the site not get enough funds from sponsors through the year to afford send multiple members to every show annually? Perhaps an administrator's postings or PM about the JD's personal income (from sponsors) would clear this up? Out of all the staff members there were no others wanted(or could) to go? Was that the reason? Then what is the reason? An explanation or reason please(why we only send 1)? This happened BEFORE and we didn't learn?

Sending 1 to a show is just waiting for a disaster to happen..as proved 1 person from one location ...something happened and there's no backup.(risky)

<wish Coleman went then I could stock up on gold titanium ties  :P JK>

--Urb

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 04:41 PM »

WTH? Come on now. Don't you think that's an overreaction?

If there are other reasons, then that's your business (admittedly I don't have all the facts before me), but how is this your fault and yours alone? Anyway, this is only one screwup of a single event, on an otherwise outstanding track record. Don't do this.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 06:19 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Ok usually I don't respond to any of the silly site drama/politics bull****, but I gotta say that anyone bitching and moaning because things didn't work out for JD to get someone to cover Toy Fair is ******* ridiculous. Having ran and currently running a Star Wars fan site, I know how difficult it can be to get something like coverage for Toy Fair done.

For starters, has anyone thought that perhaps JD had one staff member slated to go to the show because only one staff member was able to make it? Being that this is a fan site, every person that works on this site has a life and responsibilities away from it. Work, school, family, health, finances, any one of these issues could prevent a person or persons from going to New York for Toy Fair. Perhaps the one member who could go, was able to work around their real-life issues so that they can go, but to expect a large number of people to do so isn't very smart.

And what about finances? I know a couple of staff members are in Canada and a couple more are in California, a 2-3 day trip to NYC could cost a bundle. Perhaps they can't afford to drop that kind of cash just to cover a toy show. And don't go expecting sponsors to cover the bill too, their payments often can't even cover the costs of running a site and that's even if they pay you in cash. And so what, that would leave Chris to flip the bill to get any of the staff to NYC for the show. Do you all expect him to be able to cover costs just because other site owners have the luxury of doing so? No ****** way, if I recall correctly he's a college kid (like many of you) and he's in this for the hobby.

So the Jedidefender coverage didn't work out, in the end big ******* deal. I'm sure the staff members and particularly the one person who was supposed to go are disappointed. And certainly many of us fans are disappointed that we didn't get to read about JD's take on the show, but it's not the end of the world. **** happens and it happens often, they made a concerted effort to try to get things to work out. Unfortunately, external factors came into play to prevent the coverage, coverage which by the way cost you nothing so don't even go complaining about not getting something that would have been free to you anyways.

So until you go out there and try to run a site that can compete with a big boy like RS, GH, or SSG, keep your complaints to yourself. Unless you've been involved in trying to get **** together on such a scale just to make fans of your site happy, you have no bearing to judge them for a minor, practically insignificat, faux pas.

Oh and Jesse, don't ****** resign as a staff member due to the lack of Toy Fair coverage. If other ****'s going on that's making you resign just say so, but don't feed any naysayers the potential delight of your resignation due to this ****, it ain't worth it.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 05:05 PM »
It kind of is a big deal, as Toy Fair is one of the two marquee events in any given year (along with the San Diego Comic Con) for new toy/collectible items/pictures/news.

When dumbass sites like Sandtroopers can get Toy Fair coverage, and JD can't, that's kind of a problem.

Should JesseVader08 have quit his staff position?  No, because it doesn't appear to have been his responsibility at all.  But still, the lack of JD's coverage is something that should at the very least be questioned. 

It's bush league.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."