Author Topic: help the power button to my main computer is dead  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
help the power button to my main computer is dead
« on: February 17, 2006, 10:34 PM »
HELP my power button won't work on my computer. Any suggestions, besides sending it to a shop. ???

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: help the power button to my main computer is dead
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 10:40 PM »
1. Check and make sure the power is plugged in on the tower and the outlet.
2. Check it on a different outlet to make sure the out let isn't burned out.
3. Open in up and make sure all the internal cables are plugged in correctly and snuggly.
4. Send it into the shop.

BTW, how are you posting this if your power button isn't working?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 10:41 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:43 PM »
My moms computer, it's what she uses for work. My computer is broken and I tried all those things except opening it up. Which I don't want to do, I might really break it. :o

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:46 PM »
Shut the computer down, and wait for it to turn back on by itself.

If it doesn't come back on, it was never meant to be.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:58 PM »
My moms computer, it's what she uses for work. My computer is broken and I tried all those things except opening it up. Which I don't want to do, I might really break it. :o

You won't hurt anything as long as you are carefull, Don't touch the mother board and you'll be fine. I've opened mine up plenty of times and it still works fine.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 12:43 AM »
My girlfriend's power supply died a few months ago.  I called those Geek Squad chodes and they wanted something like $60.00 to do a diagnosis.  Then, they wanted $55.00 for the part, and an additional $60.00 for the labor to put it in.

I said, well can we skip the diagnosis part since it's the power supply, and he tried to talk me out of it saying that it could be tons of different things. 

So the next day we bought a Power Supply that was rated the same as her old one at Circuit City for like $40.00

I swapped them out in about 3 minutes and the computer is fine.

Bottom line, unless you're completely and utterly terrified to open up your computer, you can usually save a fortune doing things yourself.

Also, Geek Squad is way overpriced compared to Comp USA - if you're going to take it somewhere, I reccomend not going to Best Buy.  I had an external HD that had a bad partition on it about 3 months ago and Best Buy wanted $80.00 (roughly) to do data recovery for me - but for that price you only got whatever would fit on a DVD - meaning about 4.5 GB.

I had like 70 gigs on that HD at the time - they told me that it would be an additional $80.00 per DVD of recovery.

I told them to shove it up their ass, took it to Comp USA and they got everything back for me, cleaned up the HD so it worked again, and put it all back where it went for $70.00 out the door.

Geek Squad sucks.[/rant]

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Well thanks for all of your suggestions, but my dad is gonna take it to comp renaisance tuesday o then i should get it back by wed-thurs. :-\

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:35 AM »
My Dad took it to geek squad, ::) but I didn't have to pay for it, :P and it's back up and running ;D.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 12:18 PM »
My Dad took it to geek squad, ::)

Your dad got ripped off.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 03:37 AM »
Find a local guy, you usually win out by getting service because he wants you to come back.  That's what I've done.  Guy built my PC, and he's worked on it any time it needed it or I needed help...  Sometimes for free.  He also does upgrades on the cheapity cheap.  If you find a good PC guy it's like finding a good mechanic.  Keep him and be appreciative.

I have managed to learn to do a lot myself, but I know when I'm in doubt of myself on anything I have a good backup plan.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77