Author Topic: JD and Toy Fair  (Read 18544 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Rebelscum
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2006, 08:05 PM »
In the spirit of bitching about things that don't matter . . . a lesson in homophones.

. . .  Just try to bare in mind that "**** happens" . . .

Bare = to make naked. (in the case of the Top 5 Hotties, I suppose I "bare in mind" frequently)
Bear =  to hold/carry

I'm asking you guys though to take a step back and bare with us as we change things up where we need to.  

Bare = again, make naked. . .and I'd rather not do that with you guys, but again in the case of the Top 5 Hotties, I'm afraid it's likely that I already have at one time or another.
Bear = to endure

. . .but it doesn't have a baring on your guys' individual thoughts.  . . .

Baring = showing one's ass.  (see Slothus)
Bearing = relation or connection

Barely anything new was shown, and what was shown wasn't making me do backflips, so that's a plus. 

DING DING DING DING DING   :-*

Bastard.   >:(

Ya know I was writing that thinking something wasn't right...  but after all the typing I did last night, both public and private, I didn't really care.

And YOU can kiss my BARE ass.   :-* (_Y_)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: JD and Toy Fair
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2006, 08:16 PM »
This is the longest thread I have ever read....really...(I just thought I'd point that out).  I am too old to respond with anything that doesn't sound like a mother hen (Chris is younger than both my kids) so I'm just going to ask the same question that someone else did before, where's Alice?? :-*
Beth

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Ran her over when I pulled in to the driveway. The shopping bag full of groceries flew everywhere what a DISASTER!

ROFLOL wooohooo.. ;D

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2006, 09:33 PM »
This bickering is pointless...

Others have articulated my view points already, but I just wanted to say that first and foremost I'm concerned about Dave's health I wish him a speedy recovery. Sure the timing is awful, but that happens and there's nothing we can do. I'm only dissapointed because, like others, I love this site and want to see it grow and TF coverage surely attracts news members. I know we're all frustrated, but I'll bet we're not as frustrated as Chris and the staff members who wanted badly to provide us with excellent coverage.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2006, 11:39 PM »
I don't see what the issue is. Someone from JD couldn't go, but it's not like we didn't see any pictures from the event.

**** happens, and they're just ******* toys.

I begin to sympathize with a guy like Philip Wise, having to put up with **** like this every day. Now I can see why he takes a terse attitude towards his members. Granted, he's making buckets of cash, but still.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Skyhoucker

• Youngling
  • It will be done, my lord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2006, 11:48 PM »
Great points Virex. My issue is... all those people you listed are being paid for their performance...

Bottom line, that's what I was talking about...

We understand that JD didn't get coverage, but it's not like you couldn't go to another site for 5 minutes and see their coverage.  You want someone to be able to come through a pristine 100% of the time, go look at RS, they have a hardcore cashflow... but don't bitch bitch bitch about JD's lack of coverage, **** happens.  Like you don't have things that take priority to going to a convention and taking pictures.  Like I said before, don't like it, do it yourself.   ;)

I'm done on this topic.  It's ****** that it had to be started in the first place...
Finally finished RotS

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2006, 12:01 AM »
There are bigger issues here than just, "well, we had to go somewhere else to see the pictures," folks.  It's more along the lines of "why did this happen in the first place, and what can be done to prevent it from happening again?"

The pictures themselves stopped being the issue over the weekend, after all the other sites got their pictures up.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2006, 12:32 AM »
Has anyone else read this entire thread and feel like they just got done watching the 6:00 news?

It just seems eerily similar to how the press is reacting to the whole Cheney-shot-a-guy-and-didn't-tell-anyone-for-three-days thing...

Eh...maybe it's just me.

Anyway, it does suck that JD wasn't able to have coverage of TF but realistically nothing was shown that we hadn't already heard about and, in some cases, seen pictures of. 

I didn't read all the commentary from the various sites, I mostly just looked at photos.  And although it's nice to see pictures and coverage on your favorite site, I always hit 3, 4 or 5 different sites because everyone gets a different shot, includes something that someone else missed or covers other lines that may be cool but not related to SW.

As a matter of fact, a large number of sites I visited for info weren't even SW sites, they were more generic toy sites.  A lot of times those guys end up with better overviews of lines rather than focusing on minute details and that type of coverage is sometimes better IMO.  I take the same approach to get all my news, I don't just watch CBS I also look at CNN, MSNBC, Fox and Internet blogs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes, it does suck that something happened and JD didn't get coverage, but that doesn't mean that coverage and pictures weren't available.  And you don't have to go to sites you don't care for if you don't want to...there was plenty of coverage available from various sites.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2006, 12:45 AM »
And I can attest that we're obviously going to learn from this as a staff and having contingency plans built up for these things.  Some things fell through, the weather surely didn't help, and ironically having someone close to the event wound up working against us (in conjunction with the weather...  Had someone been flying in we'd probably have had that person there by Friday to handle it), so that's just an irony we didn't foresee.

Problems are having the iron taken to them, believe me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2006, 04:05 AM »
so that's just an irony we didn't foresee.

It's OK, it's my website too...I guess "we" didn't know Murphy was attending then. It's OK, I'm sure we'll get kick-ass coverage at the CC from..Matt? Did I ever tell you the one about how he had a chance to be on a TV documentary about SW geeks and fans and he turned it down? Well, I did too(turned it down). He even had a JD shirt on(not a pink one!)!Nice guy..so modest.  ;)Another JD member agreed to do the video interview instead. Mattie answered alot of Q's until they wanted the camera on and then that was it. MMmm Hmmm.. how many knew about THAT incident...LOL

Hey..at least I'm responsible enough to turn down a video interview about our website where I could...uhhh ..possibly be myself and adversely effect it :-[. Phew ..lookin' back now I'm glad I didn't ..aww

I wish Mattie would come on here and talk some smack to me right now.. haven't seen a post of his in a long while-

--Urb

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2006, 04:11 PM »
There are bigger issues here than just, "well, we had to go somewhere else to see the pictures," folks.  It's more along the lines of "why did this happen in the first place, and what can be done to prevent it from happening again?"

Do we really need all this redundant coverage from every single web site?  Seems to me to be a waste of time and resources.  GH had fantastic photos of every Star Wars thing you'd want to see at Toy Fair.  And RS had those wonderful photos of... uh.. SpongeBob.  Sure, it'd be wonderful if there were equally nice photos here, but I think it'd be even nicer if JD had some nice, exclusive coverage of something we didn't see in 6 other places.

I guess I'm just looking at it from a newspaper industry perspective.  Every single newspaper doesn't send people to the White House to cover press conferences - they get their coverage from the AP, and they focus on local coverage.  Since JD has a good relationship (outside the forums) with other SW sites, it'd seem to me to be much more efficient if you'd work together and share photos from events like this.

I mean, if a guy on the staff wants the free press pass and wants to walk around a convention, have at it.  But if it's too expensive or not feasible to make it to a big event, I don't think you guys should kill yourselves over it to make it there.  These web sites are all free, so you really have no obligation to anybody to provide exclusive coverage of every event.  Hell, http://CreatureCantina.com hasn't sent anybody anywhere since I scored that free press pass to Wizard World Philly last year.   ;D
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2006, 05:49 PM »

And YOU can kiss my BARE ass.   :-* (_Y_)

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Mine's more hairy.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2006, 12:23 AM »
All right, here it is. I'm the ******* who ****** up this site's coverage of Toy Fair this year (as well as in 2004). If you want to bitch about it to anyone, do it to me. Send me a pm. Ask for my address, so you can send me a hate package of dog ****. But it's all my fault. Don't blame anyone else. Blame me. I suck.

And for the record, the reason the other sites were able to get coverage of Toy Fair while we were not? Location. You see, being a staff member here works out well for the site, because I live in New Jersey, about a 20 minute car ride outside of Manhattan. Less than an hour by public transportation. Convenient? Sure is. 99% of those other sites had people who live outside of NYC, and flew in to town for the weekend to cover the event. They were probably staying at a hotel somewhere within walking distance of the Javits Center. So when they woke up on Sunday morning, and there was 27" of snow outside, it wasn't a big deal to them. But for me, waking up on Sunday morning and finding 27" of snow outside was a nightmare. I won't even get into the "I have a 103 fever and the flu" excuse. We'll skip over that. That's my fault.

On a normal, everyday morning, it takes about 20 minutes by bus to get from my house to Journal Square, where I can catch the PATH train over to NYC. From there it's maybe another 20 minutes by train, and I'm smack dab in the middle of NYC. On a normal day.

When I wake up and there are 27" of snow on the ground, guess what? My car is not leaving it's spot on the street. I have the absolute worst car in the snow (trust me, I've tried to drive in the snow and it sucks balls) - a 1990 Nissan 240SX. And the bus that would have taken me from my house to Journal Square wasn't running. I guess the bus company decided that since it was Sunday, and most people were off from work anyway, they weren't going to put any lives in danger by running the bus service. And you know what? It was the right choice.

And in case anyone forgot, back in 2004 was an almost identical case. Yeah, I was sick then too, but hey, that's my fault.

So yeah, maybe those other sites were able to get to the show. And yeah, maybe some of them are considered "below" us on the scale, but they showed us up at Toy Fair. Good for them. Go you.

So what it all comes down to is this: blame me. I dropped the ball. Me. No one else. Don't blamce Chris, or Jesse, or Matt, or the other guy named Jesse, or Scott, Dale, Jeff, Rob, Brad, Jared, or Thomas (who?) - it's all me. I'll be honest, I didn't read the thread. Maybe the first two or three posts. But I just didn't feel like reading them all. And if you don't like that - then **** off. No one makes you come here. If you don't like it - leave. I don't get "paid" to do this. I sure as **** won't miss you. And I'm sure you won't miss me either.

And in case you don't want to believe that "I was sick with a 103 fever and had the flu" bull****, just take a look at my current activity on this site. Over the past week and a half or so, I think I have less than 5 posts, and probably about 10 minutes spent online here. And that's just sad, because I'm usually pretty active. When I'm not hunched over the toilet puking my guts out for hours at a time, at least. This place is my home away from home, my escape. Or at least it was.

Peace.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2006, 05:06 AM »
You know what pisses me off about this whole sitation. No Alice. Seriously, WTF happened to him?

...I am too old to respond with anything that doesn't sound like a mother hen (Chris is younger than both my kids) so I'm just going to ask the same question that someone else did before, where's Alice?? :-*

I wish Mattie would come on here and talk some smack to me right now.. haven't seen a post of his in a long while-

I'm still around, barely.  But seeing how adversely this site can apparently affect some people makes me even less inclined to chime my MIA ass in around here - especially right now.  Fortunately I wasn't around during all the hoopla this week though, so my belated reply here will be somewhat tempered.  While criticism of, and disappointment in, our lack of TF coverage is certainly very warranted, I think some people are going a tad overboard, and being overly dramatic here.  Granted, I think if we'd posted an updated news blurb on the main page about not being able to attend TF a bit sooner, it may have helped reduce the ****storm here a little.  But the blurb we did eventually post was accurate - bad health and bad weather kept our guy from being able to do his reporting duties.  The conspiracy theories to the contrary are completely asinine.

So Deanpaul and Birchall are/were highly pissed off at us because we couldn't cover Toy Fair this year.  Big ******' deal.  If they couldn't find Toy Fair pix elsewhere, then they're probably ready for the Special Olympics.  I'm fairly confident, however, that they managed to find plenty of TF pix, but just wanted to give the staff a piece of their mind, and rile up our members in here a bit for some mild amusement, and a pointless debate in semantics.  If Dp feels like JD betrayed his trust and lied to him, then I'm sending his engagement ring back to him, 'cause obviously we weren't meant to be.  If Virex thinks there's other deeper/hidden issues going on here, let him think that.  The rest of us, especially the staff, knows our lack of attendance was nothing more than a simple money and/or time constraint.  Obviously every single person at this site would love to attend Toy Fair (staff or otherwise), but as Jason, Josh and others have pointed out, that's not always feasible for most of us.  JD definitely doesn't generate the type of revenue to afford any of us a trip, that's for damned sure.  Like Chris said, our limited advertising and referall fees pay the bills, and not much more.  Dave is our local guy on the scene when it comes to TF, and as we've all seen, and as he's stated above, that didn't work out this week (or two years ago either).  So guess what?  I had to scope out the pictures at GH and RS.  Big whoop.

But to see six pages of animosity stem from just a few isolated posts from two or three disgruntled guys is just silly.  If people here can't figure out that the more riled up they get over those guys' posts causes said individuals to fan the fire even more, then you should pay better attention around the boards.  Fortunately, it appears to me that most everyone else seems to understand and/or sympathize with our unfortunate TF coverage issues this week, as disappointed as they may be in us, and was able to find pictures of the few new items elsewhere.  Good deal.

Obviously the entire staff here is disappointed that things didn't work out better for JD's TF coverage this year, and we apologize to our readers for that, as we strive to do the best we can here in supporting our beloved Star Wars hobby.  But when our fansite falls short, try not to take it too personally.  **** happens.  At least in our world.  That said, we're always interested in listening to our community's ideas and constructive criticisms on how to make this site better.  Obviously, providing TF coverage is a no-brainer.  We get it.  Hopefully we'll have better luck next year.  Or maybe we won't.  Who knows...?

Guess it might be a good idea for me to start working on my Comic Con plans first thing in the morning though, eh?

- M
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 05:57 AM by JediMAC »