Author Topic: JD and Toy Fair  (Read 18590 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Rebelscum
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2006, 12:31 PM »
You know what REALLY burns my ass???

A wee flame about three feet tall.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2006, 12:46 PM »
If it's really such a problem that some people didn't get their Toy Fair news, then perhaps they should've gone to Toy Fair and done up some articles for the rest of us to read... Perhaps contribute to the site in that way... you'd be a hero for it.  Oh, and now comes the "it's not my job" or "I can't afford to do stuff like that"... odd isn't it?

I'm sorry, that's just such a bull**** argument.  "If you don't like it, you can do it yourself."

The next time you're served a bad meal at a restaurant--"don't like it, you can do it yourself."  Yes, you can go to culinary school and become a chef, and you can cook the meal just the way you like it.

And if you complain about the poor game the quarterback of your favorite NFL team had. . .  "I'd like to see you get out there and try."  Like you'd actually have to be a pro football player to say that somebody stunk it up.

Or the next time you complain about one of Hasbro's action figures. . .  could you imagine? 

Just because I don't personally operate a Star Wars website, doesn't mean that I don't personally have the right to think (and say) that the lack of coverage sucked.

I'm done making my point, because I've already repeated it ad nauseam, and the staff knows where I'm coming from, but let's end this whole "I'd like to see you do a better job" bull****.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2006, 12:52 PM »
Great points Virex. My issue is... all those people you listed are being paid for their performance. As I said, when you start paying my salary I will give you the best damn coverage of Toy Fair you could possibly ask for. Or you can accept that a mistake was made which is being fixed and that we will do whatever we can to bring you that best damn coverage next time or at the next show. Free of charge. On a side note, we were lucky that there wasn't really jack **** shown that was new or unheard of. But regardless, I'm glad to hear you've decided to stop making your point. :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2006, 01:05 PM »
Great points Virex. My issue is... all those people you listed are being paid for their performance. As I said, when you start paying my salary I will give you the best damn coverage of Toy Fair you could possibly ask for. Or you can accept that a mistake was made which is being fixed and that we will do whatever we can to bring you that best damn coverage next time or at the next show. Free of charge. On a side note, we were lucky that there wasn't really jack **** shown that was new or unheard of. But regardless, I'm glad to hear you've decided to stop making your point. :)

I do accept it.  I understand that people were "sick," or what have you.  **** happens.  I get it.  But this whole "can't complain about it unless you actually do it/pay for it" stuff has got to stop.  It's a cop-out, and it's crap.

But if you want to talk about payments, and that sort of thing, that's cool.  What kind of reimbursements are you getting from the sponsors of the site?  And of that, how much is going to the other staff members who are working for you?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2006, 01:15 PM »
The reimbursements we getting from the sponsors are much, much less than you would think and with that money I pay for the server and all related hosting fees. The staff here works for free, and they willingly and knowingly accept that.

You can complain all you want. The only effect that complaining will have on you is that people will see you as more of an ass than you already are.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2006, 01:26 PM »
The reimbursements we getting from the sponsors are much, much less than you would think and with that money I pay for the server and all related hosting fees. The staff here works for free, and they willingly and knowingly accept that.

Alright.  Thanks.  I've always been a bit curious as to how that works.  So, after the server costs and the fees, is there anything left over for you?

You can complain all you want. The only effect that complaining will have on you is that people will see you as more of an ass than you already are.

I am a total ass.  I have been for years.  I know it, everybody here knows it.  So, by complaining, if I'm viewed as more of an ass, no big deal.  I don't care.  If people don't like me, so be it.  That's on them. 

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2006, 02:28 PM »
For me, this is about accountability. That means doing what you say you're going to do, being accountable for your actions and their consequences. If something comes up that prevents doing what you said you would do, fine. But be straight with that. Tell me what really happened.

This isn't about wether the site is free, the geographic location of members, personal finances, operating a site/site revenue or any other point in Jason's post. Wheter his post is true or not isn't the point. It's not relevant to the issue. A lot of people have jumped on those topics, and in the big picture they're fine. But again, they don't answer the questions I asked which were simple.

On page two this thread began arguing the wrong points. Or at least, different points than the ones I made on page two.

To infer that my questions are "bitching, moaning, and complaining" assigns tone to them that, well, just isn't there. They were simple, and for the most part went unanswered. I've taken the liberty to fill in answers using a quote where appropriate, and others from inference.

Q1: Seriously, WTF happened with the JD Toy Fair coverage?

A1:
I need to talk with Dave further because there are some things that should not have happened that did. For the record, Dave was on site at Toy Fair. I'm leaving it at that until I can take care of the issue as best as possible. When I have a concise answer, I'll post it.

Was this a big screw-up? It sure as hell was and as I said before, I will come back and give the full story when I know it.

Q2: Is there a discussion somewhere?
A2: Yes, in the Saga section. But don't expect any answers there. You can't handle the truth/we don't have the truth, and it makes us look like a Junior High yearbook committee.

Q3: JD only sent one guy to Toy Fair?
A3: Yes, JD only sent one guy to Toy Fair.

Great. The reply from Chris is what I was looking for, at least the part of his reply I quoted. I'm interested in hearing the update. How long is that going to take? It's been three days. Is this a deep rabbit hole, because obviously there's more to it than just "sick" and "weather".

This also isn't about being let down. At least not for me. I expected to see a report, because it had been promised for weeks. The only thing I'm surprised by is the lack of explanation about what happened and the tone of some of the replies in this thread.

Jesse resigned before this thread went to hell, so I'm going to guess there were other factors influencing his decision to do that. I meant what I said about appreciating his enthusiasm. He's done a lot in a (relatively) short time as a moderator. I'm glad he was reinstated. I also meant the rest of what I said, but want to be clear that the "shrug" comment was directed at the site's overall response to missing Toy Fair, not his.

I like this site, and like Matt this is the only place I post, even then I don't post a lot. Do I expect any one site to have everything? No, just what they say they will - or an explanation.

One thing I like about Jedi Defender is the discussions we've had here in the past that haven't spiraled into hissy fits like this one has. Granted, we're usually looking at other sites in those, and not in the mirror. Is that what is different here? At least no one pulled out the lock, so there's still hope.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2006, 02:36 PM »
I hearby offer to cover comic con as a backup backup reporter for JD. I'm planning on going anyway and I have a really snazzy digital camera now that kicks all sorts of ass.

See, I'm a problem solver.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2006, 02:48 PM »
I hearby offer to cover comic con as a backup backup reporter for JD. I'm planning on going anyway and I have a really snazzy digital camera now that kicks all sorts of ass.

See, I'm a problem solver.  ;D

Super, one of the better things to come out of the thread.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: JD and Toy Fair
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Oops, topic just got split and I replied to the wrong one.

Super, one of the better things to come out of the thread.

I don't know about THAT...but it's a genuine offer nonetheless.  I didn't see the lack of coverage as a big deal (stuff happens), but it's clear some people were really upset by it.

So...next con I'm going to, I'll raise a hand to volunteer.  If someone gets sick, broke, or dead...then hey, they have a backup.   ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Josh, can you be as scathing as Colman to Hasbro?  Or as persistent?  If you can pull it off, fine.  But if you can't, don't take away my personal highlight of the year.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2006, 03:30 PM »
I had 'em reeling last year I asked 3 questions(made several other stated facts) that they were hoping they wouldn't have to answer. They looked pretty poorly managed as a result of their political answers. A LOT of folks were snickering and saying negative things about their new design team leader afterwords. Coleman was right in the front and it was funny because they kept trying to look around,over, down anything to not make eye contact with him(LOL). You know how when a dog is busted and he knows it and you hold his head in your hands and he can't look at you no matter what? That's what it looked liked they were doing with MAtt...LOL. Myself and Jediscar noticed it 4 rows back and it was reallly funny. ;D

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2006, 03:34 PM »
I didn't make it last year, what were Matt's scathing questions?

The year before that I was at the panel Matt went to as well...and I think I asked a couple of "hard hitting" ones.  One was about the decline in lightsaber quality (they went from that awesom metal back to plastic that year).  I brought up something someone at RS suggested about a magnet on the belt to hold them (which they should have done). The year before that I did a lot of bitching about Jedi Master points, and we later got those silly auctions.....because a lot of people had just as much curiosity as me.

However, the best questions are always the guys that ask why Hasbro doesn't sell figures directly instead of all the shortages at retail.  People love that one and Hasbro hates it for some reason. They really think all their figures hit retail equally.

Of course, if you want a really off-topic reporter that will get them scratching their heads, my wife always asks them whether or not they'll ever bring Jem back.  Every convention we see them at.  She even asked at a Star Wars panel one year.   At C3 they told her they were thinking about it, which has only encouraged this quest of hers. ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 03:34 PM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Toy Fair Junk
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2006, 03:35 PM »
OK, before I get started, I spun this Toy Fair stuff off since it really has nothing to do with Rebelscum anymore (other than a tangential point about how we let you talk "bad" about us without just locking and/or deleting the thread... for the most part  ;)).

Well, at least you know new Little Mermaid collectibles are at Toy Fair. Seriously, WTF happened with the JD Toy Fair coverage?

What happened with the JD coverage?  Well, as it has been painfully explored in here, we didn't have any coverage.  Despite planning and preparation and front page hyping, we dropped the ball.

Again, in my mind it doesn't really matter the who/what/when/why of it.  The end result is we promised coverage and then didn't have any.  It sucks.  I know I felt bad about it, that's why I posted my aplogies in the Saga Toy Fair Thread.  I assumed the rest of the gang would also extend apologies and comment once more info was known on the details, but no one did so I guess I can see how that came off as appearing like no one cared enough to comment.

Is there a discussion about this somewhere?

Not really, just my post on the main page and in the Saga Toy Fair Thread... and then of course this messy thread here.

Obviously if more info had been shared as to the how/why of the Toy Fair screw-up, this thread may have never rolled out the way it did.  I posted what I knew at the time and I assumed that the others around here would fill in more details as they became available (which, again, didn't happen for whatever reason).

Heck, I'm on staff here and I'm still not exactly sure how on earth we made it on-site at Toy Fair (as Chris said in one of his posts), but couldn't get things straight to get coverage going.  The weather made us miss appointments at Toy Fair, then we couldn't get them rescheduled or something is my best understanding of the situation.

There's got to be more to it than the sick/weather note on the front page. JD only sent one guy to Toy Fair?

Yeah, we only sent one guy to Toy Fair, because we only have 1 guy who lives close enough to go.  This is where all that money talk comes in.  Unfortunately, we don't have the finances to send someone to stay in NYC, so we sent the guy who lives closest and can make it.  He was taking a buddy of his to help take photos and what not.

Like Jesse pointed out, this was a big factor in what happened.  We took for granted that Dave could get into the city with public transportation so he didn't need to stay in downtown.  If he had been able to stay in NYC like some of the other sites, the snow wouldn't have been an issue.  As such, it was a big issue for the way we planned our coverage.   :-\

I know this doesn't deal with everything that has transpired in this thread, but I think it hits the high (or low) points of the discussion.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2006, 04:12 PM »
I'm not sure I can offer much more than what Jeff said.  It turns out Dave did manage to make it out to Toy Fair on Monday despite still being sick (which caused him to miss Sunday).  Because his plans initially involved meeting with the various companies on Sunday, they wouldn't allow him to make appointments on the Monday when he arrived.  (Which personally pisses me off - I'm disgusted how he was treated)

What I can offer is my apology to Deanpaul for losing my cool.  JD is a pretty important place to me, so when you asked some tough questions, I took them as an attack rather than genuinely wanting to know what want wrong and how we can prevent it from happening again.  Normally I pride myself in keeping my cool, but I wasn't able to do so because I was (obviously) emotional about the disappointment in missing a key event for our front page reporting.