Author Topic: Question for PN fans...  (Read 2753 times)

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
Question for PN fans...
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:18 PM »
OK, I'm working up my script for KOE 2. Here's my problem: Some of the shots will simply be things I can't accomplish the way I want to accomplish them. Photoshop and matte stills and all, I can't get the look I want.

Some of the best PNs I've read sometimes don't have epic photography, so I'm thinking I might be beating myself up all for nothing. I'm not sure. I'm struggling with lack of time, lack of props, but a story I really, really want to continue here.

How about a poll?

Of the following three options, which most closely states your feeling on photo novels?

1. The story is more important than the pics to me.

2. The pics have to be good, or I usually won't bother with the story.

3. A good photo novel needs a strong story and strong photos to be worth the effort of making it, and to be worth the effort of reading it.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Question for PN fans...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 11:54 PM »
The story is the most important thing IMO. That being said picture quality is somewhat important, because good pictures can really add to a story, and bad pictures can detract from it. That being said don't stress yourself over it too much, the story is still the most important part and I'll read it regardless. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 01:11 AM »
In Rem[/b], your photonovel to date has been absolutely amazing, both in terms of the story and the pictures.

But I'd rather see a story with pictures not as great than nothing at all!  Your story, irrespective of the pictures, is great. 

Besides, given the stellar quality of what we've already seen, when you say the pics won't be as good, I'm sure they'll still be at least terrific.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to spend the kind of time I want to on my story (which has been on hiatus now for six weeks).  I am often frustrated by the shortcuts I have to take and wish I could spend more time on the great kinds of images you and Chewie and others make. 

But, at the end of the day, I'm glad to at least get something out there (when I do).  Sometimes, you just have to compromise.  And that's better than doing nothing.
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 09:22 AM »
I feel pretty much the same as you guys. I think a good story will carry any shortcomings in photography. I'm not sure the reverse is true. Obviously a great story with great pictures is, well, great. :)

I did some staging last night for a photo session, and I think I'll be OK to start shooting KOE2 in the next few nights. The script is mostly there - it's *really* short, but necessary, and I hope it will get me back into the groove.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 09:34 AM »
Normally, I'd like good story and good pics. But I like the obvious care, thought and insight into 'human' nature that I see in your stories so much that I'm pretty sure I'd read yer stuff w/o any pics at all.  Just my 2 cents. :-\

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 05:30 PM »
I'd say #1 is the most important with me. Any readers of my old ones, I concentrated on the storyline rather that pic quality because my camera sucks. Go with whatever you want, InRem, it's your story. I'll still love it anyway.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 05:53 PM »
In Rem,

I've found that the story to me is the most important thing, but good quality pics really do help too... some of my earier PN's in the Rykrof series are horrible in terms of quality, I tend to be embarrased by them! 

Now that I've gotten further into the series, I think my skills have gotten better in terms of quality pics and effects, but not to the point where I'm satisfied with them... and I'm always afraid that my storyline won't meet the expectations of everyone.

But essentially the most important thing is storytelling I think.  Go for whatever you feel is best... but again, I lean towards storytelling as the most important aspect.  There's more creativity there... I've seen a few PN attempts by some people with excellent pics, but all it was to me was some cool pics of Clones in action.  That really wasn't much of a story to me.

It's your story, we're just very interested fans of your work.  I'm sure whatever you do will be great.

:P

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Chewie, I've always thought that BOTH, your story and your photos were done well. And on the original question, I think the story is the most important part of the photonovel. But   you really shouldn't care because BOTH, your pics and your story are amazing! Once I get the body I need (Ebay or no Ebay), I'm going start my photonovel. The first chapter should be up by mid-June. (But don't holdd me to that. I might go to band camp. That's two weeks right there.)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 09:59 PM »
1 time at band camp
sorry couldnt resist but anyway in rem id rather have more updats than a purely special effects pic. look at SA he uses no special effects at all. and his stroies are some of the bst out there

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 03:09 PM »
look at SA he uses no special effects at all. and his stroies are some of the bst out there

Thanx for the kind words, SMARTY.  But I have to admit, I have sinned twice.  DI has used two special effects shots.  :-[

But to answer IN REM's question, IMO, the story is the most important part.  I think that is why people come back to see updates.  When readers say thay want more or can't wait for the next update, that is a good sign that they enjoy the story.

The pic should be of good quality, however.  If the pics are too detailed, too far away, or too blurry, no story will ever compensate for bad pics.  It's not a photonovel, then.    Special effects do make the pics better, I will admit.

One of my favorite photonovel is YODABOY's Gunship 47.  This appeared in the RS forums a while ago.  His pics were simple, with no dioramas or scenery, just his desk and bedroom.  He added some laser blasts when necessary but his story was fun and exciting.  Simple, but effective.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate