Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2006  (Read 21308 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NFL OffSeason 2006
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2006, 01:23 AM »
PA repealed its helmet laws a while back...  Not too long ago though, just a few years really.  I forget when exactly as I am too poor to own a Harley as I'd like to. :)

But yeah, I can see it from both sides...  If you want to it should be your right and all that jazz...  That's my personal stand on the matter.  At the same time I think the Steelers should have it contracted that he HAS to wear a helmet...  Personally if I were Rooney I'd have it in the contract that he can't ride a motorcycle till he's out of the organization but that's my opinion.  You invest in the person, and the person has reckless disregard for his own safety, so it's a touchy situation.

Riding without a helmet is dumb though really...  Even if it's what you feel is your right.  I wouldn't do it, but that's me.  I'd ride with the old style WW 1 German spiked helmet.  I love those. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2006, 02:00 AM »
With Kellen Winslow as a shining example, no NFL player in their right mind would ride a motorcycle at all.  All you have to do is slip up one time and your career could be over (nevermind that your life could be over...).

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2006, 10:58 AM »
The dude is a moron IMO. Any football player who rides a mototcycle is a moron. Anyone on this planet who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is a moron.

It's like they see these other players on the news who are all fractured and twisted and whatnot, and they say to themselves, "Yeah, so what? It'll never happen to me". Well, guess what benny-boy, it happened. And I myself never liked the guy. I think he needed soemthing like this to show him that the universe doesn't revolve around him.

Sheesh.

Yo is what yo is.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2006, 11:41 AM »
The dude is a moron IMO. Any football player who rides a mototcycle is a moron. Anyone on this planet who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is a moron.

It's like they see these other players on the news who are all fractured and twisted and whatnot, and they say to themselves, "Yeah, so what? It'll never happen to me". Well, guess what benny-boy, it happened. And I myself never liked the guy. I think he needed soemthing like this to show him that the universe doesn't revolve around him.

Sheesh.

Seahawks fan?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2006, 12:15 PM »
LOL..my thought too, Dressel.

I kind of like this QB...he's one of those rare rookies that came into the league and I noticed that he never seemed to have any fear in the game...whether winning or losing he played with alot of confidence in every game.

No, it doesn't appear to me that he acts 'like the world revolves around him' but more like he's just a very confident personality...I wouldn't say arrogant(see Deion or Terrell Owens= overlyconfident) though.

He's actually just doing what he wants to do in his free time...nothing wrong with it. I do think that...in his business there should have been some kind of contract stipulation drawn up for the team's security.

That said with his personality..it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's riding without a helmet again in the future. Motorcycles are dangerous for many reasons
alot of them for factors not having to do with how they're driven.

All this and I'm not even a Steelers fan.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2006, 01:29 PM »
He is cocky IMO. Maybe not to you, but to me, he seems cocky. From the interviews I've seen of him, he seems to be cocky. But that's just my opinion
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2006, 03:30 PM »
He is cocky IMO. Maybe not to you, but to me, he seems cocky. From the interviews I've seen of him, he seems to be cocky. But that's just my opinion

I think Ben is pretty modest.  In most of the interviews I've heard, he admits that he is a quarterback who does not put up phenomenal numbers.  He's aware of fantasy football fans, and says that he is a "horrible" pick for their fantasy team.  I think he seems pretty down to earth.

At the same time, I realize not every interview is the same, and you may have heard him come across differently.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2006, 03:42 PM »
Well, being in Pittsburgh and seeing him practically weekly now for the past 2 years, if not more frequently somehow, I can safely say he's not cocky and I'm not really sure where any of the anymosity comes from other than Dressel's observation earlier...

He's been incredibly humble and supportive of his teammates above and beyond his own personal "glory" on the field.  He's very easy to talk to in person (from what I've met of him myself), and very chatty.  He's actually somewhat a Star Wars fan too (not my own finding out on this, just what I've heard) and he's been generous in the community here.  If that's cocky, so be it, but I've seen absolutely nothing that would make me want to dump on his character like that. 

"Cocky" doesn't sit well with the Rooney's or the Pittsburgh fans...  Burress was "cocky", and he's not here now.  From what I've seen of Roethlisberger he's not even confident all the time in his ability to take charge of the game, though he says he's coming along, so I think quite differently on the man. 

Riding a motorcycle is anyone's perogative...  Riding without a helmet is too in this state, so whatever anyone's opinion may be on it, it's the law that he is allowed to.  I hope he sees the light though and that he wouldn't step on the field without his helmet so he shouldn't fly down the highway without one either.  The accident was completely the other person's fault (by early reports) as well, so it never SHOULD have happened, but stuff does and here we are.  Sounds like he's not worse for wear really so he should be thankful and wiser now, I hope. 

Bradshaw told him to wait'll he's 30 and his career is over to do this stuff...  I agree.  Then again, he's a grown man and I hope he at least wears his helmet during his riding hobby.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2006, 04:42 PM »
I have a street bike and would never consider for a second riding around without a helmet, but I still resent the fact that I'm "forced" to wear one. Seatbelts fall into the same category for me too. It bothers me to no end that I'm required by law to wear one, yet I'm also allowed by the same traffic law to ride a bike with absolutely no seat belt protection. I don't need a law to make the safe choice in either situation, but evidently others do.

I'm surpised the media hasn't picked up more on Ben's interview last year when he discussed why he thought he was a safe rider. He mentions only going out in groups and riding Cruisers, never sport bikes. Last time I checked, you don't get more sport than a 'Busa. It also looked like he wasn't cruising around with a pack, but using his bike to get between interviews. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2006, 04:45 PM »
I used to ride a motorcycle, before we had helmet laws and 20 years ago I dropped $300+ on a full face Bell helmet.  Ever fall off your bike and hit your head?  Figure out how much more it would hurt at 10x the speed and how much damage that would do.  It's not difficult to figure out.  

The accident was completely the other person's fault (by early reports) as well, so it never SHOULD have happened, but stuff does and here we are.

No one plans to be in an accident, whether in a car, on a motorcycle or otherwise.  But they do happen.  When I was riding my motorcycle, more than enough time I was 'challenged' to race by jackasses in cars - not just fast ones either, big slow ones.  I've had people cut me off on purpose, swerve into my lane for 'fun'.  Driving a motorcycle is a dangerous thing to do and it's fun as hell.  But I got rid of my bike simply because riding it was too dangerous because other people found it sporting to take runs at me.  

All this without mentioning the inherent lack of protection on a motorcycle.  There's no protective frame around you; there's no seatbelt; there's no airbag.  

I've seen a guy die from an accident while wearing a helmet.  There's no guarantees and that's probably Roethlisberger's defense.  At the same time, I've seen guys get up and walk away because of them.  

I have zero sympathy for Big Ben.  I don't dislike him at all, I don't think ill of him.  But riding a bike without a helmet just isn't an intelligent thing to do.  I do have sympathy for Pittsburgh fans, Ben's family, friends and teammates because they've got a dumbass with a weak imagination for a QB/friend.  

Like Jamie, I don't think laws are necessary.  I consider it to be proof positive of evolution and natural selection at work.  If you ain't got the brains, you ain't got that much to lose. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2006, 06:38 PM »
That's kind of my stance... My only amendment to it is that it should be within the man's contract that he either CANNOT ride a bike without major financial penalties, or he at the very least must have full protective gear on...  And then he still is at risk for career-ending injury for any other number of body parts (his knees were a huge concern as they were hurt but very minor by today's reports, and he'll hopefully be active in training camp actually).

He should consider himself fortunate and if he's seen on a bike without a helmet, Steelers fans should heckle the **** out of him at every turn, and make his life miserable for it.  He owes too many people to keep himself safe for him to do things like that.

At the same time I agree with Jamie and you Brent about the laws...  I tend not to wear a seatbelt, and it's not safe but it's my choice and I shouldn't be forced to...  If I rode a bike, I would wear a helmet.  It should be your choice in the matter either way.  Roethlisberger should have that choice taken away from himself by the Rooney's though, not the commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2006, 06:46 PM »
When you get in a wreck, and you're ejected from your car, and your insurance has to cover hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of medical bills, all our premiums go up.

That's why seatbelts are law - and that's why I'm okay with seatbelts being law.

Same should go for helmets.  Whether this incident is one where a helmet would have helped or not, there are plenty of instances where helmets save lives and prevent injuries.  Anyone riding without one is a fool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2006, 06:49 PM »
I just saw on the news here that the statistic is (or theirs was anyhow) that 37 out of 100 motorcycle injuries while wearing a helmet are proven to save the life of the rider...  Or that's what their stat was anyway.  I'd believe it though...

And your point is valid Rob, but that's not to say that maybe the Insurance rules/regulations should be reformed instead of laws imposed...  IE: if you're hurt while not wearing a seatbelt insurance is negated or whatnot.  I'm sure more would wear theirs then.  I wear mine more than I used to for certain but not always.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2006, 06:53 PM »
I don't see how you could reform those types of regulations.... they boil down to business decisions and bottom line financials.  I'd be open to them though - the small-goverment part of me wishes that it was everyone's individual choice.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2006, 03:03 AM »
I don't dislike him at all, I don't think ill of him.  But riding a bike without a helmet just isn't an intelligent thing to do.

To me, it really is as simple as that.  Personally, I swear by wearing a helmet since I'd be a vegetable without one -- I was hit by a car on my bike and bounced off the pavement.  It just doesn't make sense to not wear one.