Author Topic: Wizard World - Chicago  (Read 25169 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Wizard World Chicago - 2004
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2004, 10:12 AM »
I will definitely be there Friday and Saturday, and I'm thinking about not going on Sunday.  I still can't believe Hasbro won't be there.  What a joke!  It should still be a lot of fun though, even if they're not going to be there.  Hopefully I'll be able to land some deals with the dealers there like I did last year... I was able to pick up about 10 POTJ Imperial Commanders for $1 each.   :o

Only one more day to go and Wizard World will be upon us.  See you there!   ;D
dustrho

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard World Chicago - 2004
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2004, 11:13 PM »
i know it's a long shot, but if anybody happens to pick up an extra luke stormtrooper bust, please keep me in mind  ;D

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Wizard World - Chicago
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2006, 03:27 PM »
I just saw some news about Ray Park and Daniel Logan being at the Chicago Wizards World show.  I've never attended one of those.  Anyone have any experience?  Is their a decent vendor area with (decent) prices on SW stuff.  Keep in mind, I'd mostly be looking for older figures/toys for custom purposes.

Anyone have experience with Wizards World??

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Wizards World Chicago - 2006
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2006, 04:39 PM »
I've been to this show for the past three years.  It's definitely one of the better conventions in the country.  I would say it's easily the second best.  However, having been to Comic Con in San Diego last week, there's a big dropoff from number 1 to number 2.

There's definitely a good number of dealers here.  You can pick up just about anything here.  Are you going to score current things at retail prices?  Probably not.  But as far as older items go, you'll probably wind up paying fair market prices.  The key though is to be a smart shopper.  Know what things should cost and haggle for the best deal you can.  It's pretty much a microcosm of dealers.  Some are going to have good prices, and others won't.

As for exhibitors?  Hasbro did not attend this show last year, and it seems that they're only doing Comic Con now.  But you can find some Star Wars licensees like Gentle Giant, Official Pix and Dark Horse at this show.

As for the promoters?  They do a decent enough job.  But the cattle pens that they herd you into each morning in order to get on the floor at opening are borderline degrading.  Not sure what the ticket price is this year.  Typically I've attended all 3 or 4 days.  But I'm not attending this year.  It's a long drive for me and there's not much incentive for me to go.  I did attend the Wizard show in Boston last fall.  That one was a disaster!  Poor turnout, poor facilities, and not enough vendors.  I also attend their Philly show annually.  That has actually turned into one of the best shows on the East Coast.  I don't know enough to say about either their Texas or Los Angeles shows.  Overall I think Wizard is putting together some good shows, so if you're inclined you might want to check out the Chicago show.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 04:41 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 4, 2006, 01:04 AM »
They cancelled the Boston show because of the bad turnout.  I don't know why it did so badly, never looked it up.  They always have recaps of the shows on their web site but I don't think they even did that for Boston and it seems to have been completely wiped off their site now.

I PM'ed you info about Philly but I agree with Nicklab that that show has gotten better as it's gone along.  Last year seemed to be the exception from a toy standpoint but this year was one of the best for shopping IMO.

I recommend going to the Chicago show, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 5, 2006, 09:50 AM »
Ughhh, the Boston show.  You would think that a show in one of the coolest cities in New England would be a great location for a show, right?  Not really.

The hall was small compared with the other Wizard World events I've been to, for starters.  That was the first point of suspicion.

The dealer/exhibitor turnout?  Not great.  I've seen better turnouts at Big Apple Con's shows, and those guys have a decent, medium sized promotion that's doing a show every 3 - 4 months.  I get the feeling that the table costs were pretty high, especially after I heard what Wizard World was charging for tables at their Chicago show.  My guess is that cost scared off a number of dealers.

Then there was the fan turnout.  It was reasonable for a show this size, but not really at capacity for the hall.  You weren't jammed up trying to navigate the show.  It seems that the fanbase that Wizard World THOUGHT might be in the Boston / New England area just didn't turn out.  One thing that may have been a turnoff was that there weren't a good number of hotel rooms available in the immediate area.  And after checking out the hotel situation in Boston generally, it seems that hotels in the city are QUITE expensive.  I'm guessing here, but I think that may have deterred a number of the hardcore con fans who make roadtrips to shows like this on a regular basis.  It certainly wasn't necessary to go back to this show for a second day.  You could successfully scour this show in an afternoon and be done.

Feedback

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Any JD members going to Wizard World Chicago next week?
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2008, 11:24 AM »
Just wanted to see if any Jedidefender members will be at WW Chicago next weekend. I will be there on Friday and maybe Saturday. LMK, would love to meet some other members if time allows.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Any JD members going to Wizard World Chicago next week?
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I've gone in previous years but I don't think I'll be there this year.  Have fun!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46 PM »
I attended this show for about 3 years in a row.  Having Hasbro as an exhibitor was a bigtime draw for me.  But since Hasbro pulled out, as have several other Star Wars licensees, I decided to stop going.

Still, this is a great show for toys and comics.  And Chicago is a very cool city.  But it's not cool enough for me to drive 700+ miles.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2008, 12:02 AM »
CorranHorn, a Chicago local, may be there JOT...  You could contact him here on the boards.  He's a good bud of mine.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2008, 11:44 AM »
We actually have met before in person, he is a really nice guy. Thanks for the heads up, I was just checking. This years show is now missing Mattel since they bumped it up 2 months, not a good move they should have pushed the show back to Sept.

I just wanted to see.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2008, 06:02 PM »
I'm a nice guy? Uh oh my reputation is getting soft  :D

Hahah, I don't think I'll be making it to Wizard World - I've gotta work the majority of the weekend. Hopefully that isn't the case, but not likely. :(

JOT: I know a bunch of the guys from the Chicago Trade Federation are going, you might see a few of them there. Head on over to the site - http://www.ctfed.org - they're a good bunch of guys. BTW have you been to Quake at all lately? I've been meaning to head on by and see what Dave's got, but haven't had time. Any new or interesting stuff there?

Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2008, 07:15 PM »
I'd have never said you're a nice guy, if it makes you feel better. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2008, 09:34 PM »
I'd have never said you're a nice guy, if it makes you feel better. :)

you know how to say all the right things  :-*

HAH!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2008, 08:58 AM »
I'm a nice guy? Uh oh my reputation is getting soft  :D

Hahah, I don't think I'll be making it to Wizard World - I've gotta work the majority of the weekend. Hopefully that isn't the case, but not likely. :(

JOT: I know a bunch of the guys from the Chicago Trade Federation are going, you might see a few of them there. Head on over to the site - http://www.ctfed.org - they're a good bunch of guys. BTW have you been to Quake at all lately? I've been meaning to head on by and see what Dave's got, but haven't had time. Any new or interesting stuff there?

I hate the whole emo thing, so I retract my comments about you. From what it sounds and looks like, this years WW might be the weakest it's been in years. The date change to June is an oddball time to have it. It's too early in the summer so there is no big news to share, they lost a lot of Exhibitors so you may not be missing much. I will check out the site you sent me and see what's up. I will only be going on Friday, LMK if anything changes for you.

I have not been you Quake in eons, I have not had a reason to go as I am caught up on all past stuff. I should stop in to take a peek, summer was always a good time as people dump a lot of stuff there to pay for vacations. You might be able to find some good stuff.(The SW bargain bin was always were the best treasures were found.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:01 AM by JACKOFTRADZE »