Author Topic: Group Project XI - The Rykrof Project  (Read 80303 times)

Offline Commander_Miseria

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Touching from a distance further all the time..."
    • View Profile
Re: Group Project XI - The Rykrof Project
« Reply #105 on: March 9, 2006, 11:40 AM »
hmmm we'll see. I have a mock up and I just need to take a pic of it. It's looking pretty cool. I'm trying to get a rebel that looks a little bit less than a militia soldier as I'd imagine the rebels had a lot of support in the beginning.

I was thinking the obi-wan head would work because the Saga one doesn't really look like Ewan at all  :P

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 9, 2006, 10:14 PM »
well then hate to double post, but here is my entry!  :P

This is Rykrof Enloe at the end of the Clone Wars and the beginning of the Rebellion.  He is Commander of a rebel Ground forces unit and uses his knowledge of Clone battle strategy to battle the newly equipped Stormtrooper Elite.

PARTS USED:
HEAD- Obi wan Saga pilot
TORSO- Commtech luke
LEGS- Roadblock G.I. JOE (2003)
SHOULDER ARMOR- at-te gunner
EQUIPMENT HARNESS- EP1 naboo accesory pack

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 9, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Commander_Miseria, first off thanks for making a Rykrof custom.  I do think that it still looks like Obi Wan, but that is ok.  Maybe to change that you could darken the hair on him and his goatee.  But it can look however you want of course.

Interesting design, cool to see a different perspective on the character after the Clone Wars.  You are right that he'll be very active after Order 66 for sure.  I am going to try and surprise everyone with how the photonovel series goes in that time period however.

Very nice custom, the harness is my favorite part.  Really looks like he's ready for jungle warfare.   :)

:P

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 9, 2006, 10:43 PM »
thanks chewie. I'm thinking if i trim the hair back it may be a little bit closer to the endor trooper head. That way he won't have the "jedi mullet"  :P

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #109 on: March 9, 2006, 11:25 PM »
I've been really enjoying seeing everyone's Rykrof contributions -- this is a really wonderful idea for a casting call, and a great way to honor one of our very own photonovel pioneers. 

Incidentally, to those out there who are STILL vacillating, Yestertoys.com STILL has the bearded Endor Rebel for $2.  I just ordered two of them so I can try my hand at Ry, too.  With a price that low, there's no excuse not to try Ry!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2006, 09:27 AM »
Has anybody received anything from Yestertoys.com?  I posted before, but I'll ask again because I would cautious ordering from them.  I e-mailed them last week and still have not yet received a response.  I heard they had gone out of business last year and they have not updated their web site since then.
Anyway, if anybody receives anything (response/products) please let me/us know because, while their service sucked hardcore, their prices were too good to pass up.

Also, these Rykrofs are looking great, I need to find my Endor Rebels before I can try anything though  :-\
I think that the Obi-Wan definitely looks like an older Rykrof, but you just need to trim and darken the hair.  It's cool to see different heads for Rykrof that still look like him.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Doesn't yestertoys.com have a phone number you can call? You probably should check with your credit card company to see if they can actually process your charge. For all you know, they could be charging into a dead account.

As for Rykrof, this is truely a very impressive figure. I love the seemless merging of the gi joe legs to the Luke body. How did you handle the joe rubber bands? Does this mean the legs are glued in place? Very well painted and the harness is a great idea. He's very jungle warfar feeling. I'd say this figure is one of the best i've seen you do. He's far superior to your clones. He's a great example of merging toy line parts and making them look like they are made for each other.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2006, 02:50 PM »
thanks for all the comments guys. Ya i did take a part the whole rubber band thing and he is glued at the waist, but all the other articulation remained intact. I loved the working holster so i couldn't let those legs go to waste  :P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2006, 04:06 PM »
So arn't the legs kind of floppy without the rubber band tension?

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2006, 04:33 PM »
No they're pretty stiff actually. The tension of the rubber band doesn't effect the legs because there is a seperate rod on the bottom, that the legs connect to on balljoints.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2006, 12:35 AM »
Alright, so I decided to enter this challenge. First ever 3 and 3/4 inch custom! :)

I don't have any Saga Endor Soldiers, so I used my spare Red Leader Obi Wan and painted the beard and hair black. I think it came out great, and looks a lot like Rykrof.

This is a Cold Weather version of him, for planets like Hoth.

Okay, I didn't have any paint, so I used a sharpie. :( I still think it looks good though.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2006, 12:38 AM »
Damn Trav. Looks a whole lot like Rykrof. Damn.

Maybe not CW era, but definatley an older more...war hardened Rykrof.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2006, 01:27 AM »
He definately is not a happy man. It does look alot like Rykrof. What do you think Chewie?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2006, 02:06 AM »
Okay, finished up my Rykrof custom - I went way outside the box on this one.  I give you a Rykrof Android:

I think he looks better in person than the photos (they show off too many of the flaws).   For what its worth, the Rykrof head was one of the casts that I made - this one looked a little "thin" in the face like it had been squished together too much.  It matches the thin frame of the IG-88.  The other parts are EP1 C-3PO with the leg plating from the AOTC 3PO.  Because of the way the IG-88 and 3PO legs us different joint types (both had pegs on them), I had to dremel into the 3PO leg and trim the IG-88 waist.  Unfortunately I had to glue the leg in place to keep it there  :-[    I wassurprised that the 3PO and IG-88 legs were the same length.  I also glued the head in place because I was lazy  :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 09:34 AM by BrentS »

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2006, 07:58 AM »
Diddly- That sharpie will probably turn purple, so watch out and try to paint it. DO NOT LET NEAR WATER. That enduces purplizing. Its actually a very nice custom though. I think I'm gonna use an Obi head now.