Author Topic: Dremel Tool - Questions/Comments  (Read 3139 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Dremel Tool - Questions/Comments
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Trier posted a few pics of some Dremmel tools he's recently acquired.  It made me wonder what tips/attachments people use most commonly. 

For drilling out / hollowing helmets and heads what is preferred, a drill bit type attachmenet (like Trier's photo) or an Aluminum Oxide grinding stone (sort of triangular shaped)?

I've used the AlumOxid grinder in the past with moderate sucess, but the wedge shaped tips sometimes causes problems.

Any other tips, tools, or dremmel tricks??
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:14 PM by Jeff »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Dremel tools
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 12:44 PM »
You know, I'm really an amateur when it comes to this and disorganized.  I have my dremel, but can't find any of the bits for it, just the primary one and I use that all the time.  I just try and be very careful with it, basically just use it to hollow out heads.

:P

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 01:10 PM »
first, I get in there with a drill bit,
then I use the bit you use until I need to shape it out on the inside,
 i use a ball shaped grinding bit then a small 1/8th inch round grinding bit to finish any extra corners. Hope that helps Brent

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 05:39 PM »
I use only two bits- same size, 1 cylindrical and 1 cone-shaped. They work pretty well, I think that I just suck at Dremeling, especially hollowing out helmets.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline TR1ER

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Commando Customs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 07:19 PM »
I do not know what I would do with out my Dremel! :P  I always try to use it on the lowest setting the faster the setting you may lose control. trust me I have had many parts shoot right out my hand and skin my face! :o

Chewie have you checked Home dept or any other tool strores for the bits? I have also seen complete sets that have a Dremel and like a 50 pcs bit set at Big Lots for $20 or $30. the set is not made by Dremel but it does the same thing. If I did not have my Dremel I would have picked that set up as that set also includes a nice hanger for you tool.
A site dedicated to all types of customs from GIJOE,STAR WARS,MARVEL and 12" scale. So stop on by and check out http://www.commandocustoms.com/board/ .

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 10:17 AM »
The two bits I use the most often are a drill bit and an engraving bit for carving/ removing detail.  The engraving bits really allow you to do fine detail work without creating a hatchet job.  Definitely a good investment.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 02:20 PM »
Sounds like the consensus is getting a drill bit and and engraving bit to go along with the Aluminum Oxide grinding stones.