Author Topic: Unleashed Battle Packs  (Read 39164 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Unleashed Battle Packs
« on: July 15, 2005, 09:18 PM »
The rumours of the Unleashed line coming to end are true. The new line is now called the Unleashed Battle Packs, which will carry on the "spirit" of the original Unleashed line. This means these 2 inch figures will have minimal articulation, but be released in 4-packs with a retail price of $9.99. The first wave will include The Battle of Kashyyyk (Yoda, Aayla Secura and 2 Wookiees) and Clone Commanders and will hit retailers in December. The second wave will include Clone Troopers and Wookiee Warriors.

http://www.jedidefender.com//news/images/cc05dump/DSC08907.jpg

http://www.jedidefender.com//news/images/cc05dump/DSC08918.jpg

http://www.jedidefender.com//news/images/cc05dump/DSC08944.jpg

http://www.jedidefender.com//news/images/cc05dump/DSC08947.jpg

http://www.jedidefender.com//news/images/cc05dump/DSC08946.jpg

As boneheaded as I think it was to cancel the 7" Unleashed, I have to admit these do look pretty nifty. Not unlike the LOTR Armies of Middle-earth toys I guess. And assembling big ol' hordes will be much more feasible with these than with 3 3/4". I'll dabble in the line, but I expect my main focus to stay on the 3 3/4".

But putting these out in a market with Attacktix, WOTC minis, Bust-ups, and Galactic Heroes seems like a bad idea. Trying to compete with WOTC I can see, but don't they know Attacktix is their OWN product? ::)

On the other hand, the nice thing about these compared with the minis is they're a little bigger and appear much sturdier, plus they won't be randomized.

BTW, I'm guessing Aayla does not actually belong in the first Kashyyyk set (with Yoda and 2 Wookiees) and it's really Luminara Unduli or maybe even Quinlan Vos.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 03:42 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Unleashed Battle Packs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:59 PM »
LAME! But congrats to team JediDefender on snapping pics. They seem to be the only ones who got them.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 10:32 PM »
I shall buy these mini's in the spirit of the Unleashed.  They do not look awful, but dumping Unleashed was and is stupid.  Suggesting these are a replacement is absurd.  They are competition for the mini market, nothing more. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 10:41 PM »
Amazing but true - I've never collected a single miniature-type line, regardless of manufacturer (except now Kubricks, I suppose).  I don't think it'll be hard to continue that trend.

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 02:54 AM »
I'm usually a very positive person, but I will not buy any of these.  I collect a bunch of stuff, but only 4 lines of actual action figures.  Unleashed was one of them, I'm very upset at Hasbro's decision to end my absolute favorite action figure line.  My wallet is happy though.   ;)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 03:24 AM »
Here's my pick from the Hasbro Booth:

They also said 75% of the series would be army building figures.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 03:27 AM »
Yuck! IMHO, they suck! I'm not even going to bother with them.  >:(

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 04:05 AM »
Yuck! IMHO, they suck! I'm not even going to bother with them.  >:(

IMHO I totally agree with you. 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 08:40 AM »
What a crock of ****.  Take the absolute best thing you got going for you, drop it and then replace it with crap like this.  ******* brillant.

Although I will say some of those clones and wookiees would have rocked as 7" Unleashed.  I'll take some solice that the regular Unleashed is "on hiatus".  Hopefully that means a comeback to what some many collectors love.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 03:44 PM »
let me guess, the battle packs will cost MORE than buying SA Clones to do good diaromas with.

lol
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 04:11 PM »
Nope, $9.99 per 4-pack.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 01:39 AM »
More from Rebelscum:

Mostly army builders, there are plans for 13 sets for 2006, featuring characters from all 6 Star Wars films. The sets break down as follows:

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Commander Cody, General Grievous, Destroyer Droid
Obi-Wan's Attack Battalion

Battle Droids
Utapaun Warriors
Aayla's Starcorp
Yoda, Tarfful, Chewbacca, Gree
Yoda's Elite Corp
Wookiee Warriors

Hoth Rebel Soldiers
Han Solo & Tauntaun
Snow Troopers

Darth Vader, Han Solo, Princess Leia, C-3PO
Snowtroopers
Luke Skywalker & Wampa

Nice of them to put the main characters separately from the army builders. Seriously. I half-expected them to do, say, 3 clones and Obi-Wan, 3 clones and Cody, 3 Wookiees and Yoda, etc., so that if you army build you'd end up with a bunch of extra mains.

I can see myself assembling a little horde of clones and Wookiees, but that's probably it. Though if they do vehicles on this scale (AT-AT, AT-TE, etc.) I might pick up some of those.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 01:40 AM by Valin Kenobi »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 09:58 AM »
I'm really disappointed with the 7" Unleashed leaving, or put on hiatus, or whatever they want to call it.  I guess we knew it was coming from the rumors, but I still held out a little hope.  Hopefully they will make a comeback someday, whether it has to be as exclusives, or online, or back at retail.  I think this was definitely a mistake for them, and they may have been judging this by the overshipment (and resulting pegwarming) of the Obi-Wan/Anakin ones.  Otherwise, I haven't seen a lot of pegwarming with this line...aside from Dooku and Mace at one of our Wal-Marts.  Actually, I think the majority of slow sellers have been PT ones as opposed to the OT.

Anyways, back on topic...the Battle Packs.  I don't know about these.  Its not something I'm really interested in, but I guess they might be neat for dioramas.  I'm not planning on getting any of these, unless I see them in person and they look much better than expected.  If they had a pack with Han, Chewie, Luke, Leia, etc, I might pick one up just for fun.  The clones and wookiees would have been nice in the larger scale, and I will give them credit for focusing primarily on "armies" with these.  That actually makes sense ;).  For now, not interested.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 01:54 PM »
Ugghh, the Hasbro budget must be VERY tight!

I can't even keep track of the mini lines they have going right now between Galactic Heroes and those mini ships.

Really, slapping the Unleashed name on these 2" figures is an injustice to the 7" figures we have come to love. 

These new conglomerations are nothing but mini diorama figures - that's it.  Substituting these for the original Unleashed line is blasphemy.

:'(

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 05:34 PM »
All I'm going to say about the 2" line is this: NO.   >:(