Author Topic: Unleashed Battle Packs  (Read 39258 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Unleashed Battle Packs
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2006, 06:53 PM »
I'm spending far too much money on these sets.  Over the course of the last three days, I've gotten:

3 x Utapau Clone Troopers
3 x Utapau Battle Droids
1 x Hoth Rebel Soldiers
1 x Snowtroopers 4 Pack

Plus, I've got another Utapau Clone pack and the Utapau Commanders set coming in the mail from HTS.com, and if the Hoth stuff would ever hit a bit more, I'd be buying even more Snowtroopers and HRSes.  For a line that I hated the very notion of at the very beginning, I've fallen for them HARD.   :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2006, 06:26 PM »
Yike.  So you're actually army building with them, huh Michael?  I'm trying to avoid that myself.  I know it won't be a problem with the PT sets, but hopefully I don't cave on the OT ones.  But considering there's already decent little "armies" in each set, I'm hoping that'll suffice for my needs.

Found both Snowtrooper sets the other day, so I think I'm just down to needing the Probot/Vader and Han/Chewie sets to (temporarily) wrap things up.  Now if I could just clear some space to set the little suckers up...

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2006, 11:22 AM »
.  I just wish they would come up with scale at-st's ans at-ats so it would be prefect. Oh and a falcon

If you think about it the Basic Line Falcon, AT-AT, AT-ST, Imp Shuttle and Royal Starship are actually scaled better to this line. I'd hate to open a can of worms but I'd be interested to see these things modified to work with this line.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2006, 12:10 PM »
Yike.  So you're actually army building with them, huh Michael? 

To an extent.  Due to the nature of the poses on some of the Clones in the Utapau and Kashyyyk sets, and due to the fact that the Wookiees aren't varied enough to want to buy in more than two sets for me (color wise; why they didnt' do some paint variants with them is beyond me, especially with them being the seeming pegwarmer of the line), I'm holding off on certain sets.    Still, I've gotten 5 Utapau Clone sets, and 4 Utapau Droids sets by this point, so I think I'm done with the former for the time being.  The latter, however, I'd be buying every time I saw them if they were out in abundance.

I *really* wish that I could get a second Grievous' Bodyguard to display on Grievous' other side to balance things out.  Unfortunately, I have no need for another Grievous/Cody/Kenobi (same reason I'm not buying more of the Kashyyyk Clones due to Gree's inclusion), so unless someone has an extra one lying around, I'm going to have to make due with the one MagnaGuard.

I'm still having a hell of a time tracking down the Han/Chewie/Tauntaun set.  The stores around here either haven't gotten the Hoth sets at all (Target and TRU) or they have gotten one shipment of the assortment with the Wampa and Vader packs and then nothing else.  That sucks too as the Han and Tauntaun was the one I was most looking forward to out of that entire assortment.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2006, 09:09 AM »
I'm still having a hell of a time tracking down the Han/Chewie/Tauntaun set.  The stores around here either haven't gotten the Hoth sets at all (Target and TRU) or they have gotten one shipment of the assortment with the Wampa and Vader packs and then nothing else.  That sucks too as the Han and Tauntaun was the one I was most looking forward to out of that entire assortment.

That's the one I thought I'd pick up - if any - from this line as well.  I hadn't seen any Hoth sets in town (aside from the Snowspeeder) until this weekend, and it seems our local WM is sort of in the same situation.  They seem to have the other wave of Hoth stuff, with Vader/Wampa/etc.  No sign of the Han/Chewie/Tauntaun pack here yet either.  I really don't need another line, but I do see where these could be kind of fun - especially if you had the space to set up "scenes".

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Well, I caved in and ordered the Han/Chewie/Tauntaun set from HTS.com, along with two more Hoth Rebel Alliance Troopers sets.  I'm going so overboard on these things that it's not even funny. :)  All the Hoth sets with the exception of the Snowtrooper four pack are listed as in-stock at HTS at the moment in case anyone wants to give them a look.

As for the 10-packs later this fall/early winter, the only thing I see as a drawback is the fact that Vader and Luke are in the Hoth set.  I can understand why they would want to throw the main characters in some things, but in a line that is most definitely not marketed toward children and is predominantly army-builder driven, why Luke and Vader need to be included in the Hoth set is beyond me. 

The way it looks, there are three 10-packs:  Kashyyyk, Hoth, and Geonosis.  The Hoth set at least has two figures that aren't army builders (and one of those HRSes has a different colored vest than the regular version from the way the photos make it look); Geonosis has the Order 66 Mace with a different colored base along with a lot of Clones with (at least) new heads, and the Kashyyyk set apparently has those hideous green striped BDs that I'm refusing to buy in the 3.75" line.  Matt, since you saw these up close and can compare the photos a bit better than I can, what else am I missing in terms of details?

(Oh, and PM me, as I want to ask you something completely unrelated)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #126 on: September 2, 2006, 04:17 AM »
The Han/Chewie/Tauntaun is the only set I've yet to see now as well...  I'm almost wondering if it's been delayed just a little bit, and not shipping in the current assortments (I never check case ratios).  Has anyone heard of someone finding one yet?

I've actually seen a few more of the Hoth Snowtrooper and Rebel Trooper sets this week at Target, so it looks like they're starting to trickle out a little more finally.  They seem to be selling through way faster than the two larger Hoth sets, which is unfortunate, since that may suggest doom for the larger sets in the future, due to lack of support.  Hopefully that's not the case though, as that's one of the primary reasons I got into this line - to hopefully get some cool dioramas/playsets going along with the figures (ala the failed Armies of Middle Earth LOTR line).

Still no corrected Rebel insignias on the Luke Snowspeeder Pilot helmet.  Really hoping Hasbro pulls through with fixing that ridiculous error.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 3, 2006, 02:03 PM »
The Han/Chewie/Tauntaun is the only set I've yet to see now as well...  I'm almost wondering if it's been delayed just a little bit, and not shipping in the current assortments (I never check case ratios).  Has anyone heard of someone finding one yet?

EE had one case assortment of the Hoth wave listed as in stock that had 2 of the Han/Chewie/Tauntaun set plus 2 each of the HRS and Snowtrooper 4 packs.  The 2 troop builder sets are in two other case assortments, but the H/C/T set is only in this case assortment right now.  Weird.

I did get my set I ordered from HTS earlier this week and even though Han doesn't look so hot (either version; the arm position is really awkward), the Tauntaun is nice and the Chewie is decent too.  These sets seem to sell through a lot quicker than the PT sets (particularly the Snowtroopers who *fly* off the pegs in either variety), but the deluxe sets (the cannons and the Snowspeeder) just aren't moving at all, sadly.  The more I look at them, the more I want to see future sets along these lines (an Endor bunker with AT-ST would be the top of that list for me, I think), but with the sluggish sales, it probably won't happen.  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 5, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I saw the Han/Chewie/Tauntaun set up here today on a US card (I don't know if they come in tri/bi lingual versions).  Four pieces on the peg 2x chewie and 1 each of rebel troopers and snowtroopers. 

Must say the OT (especially Hoth) stuff looks mighty sharp, but I won't be buying any.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2006, 08:55 AM »
The Shocktrooper sets are coming....

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2006, 12:18 AM »
I saw the Han/Chewie/Tauntaun set up here today...

I finally found a couple of these elusive suckers today (at WM).  First I've ever seen of 'em.  What's with Canada getting them before SoCal?!  >:(

That catches me up with these finally, until the next sets roll out.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2006, 12:21 PM »
501st
Jedi
New Empire
Shocktroopers
Royal Guards

all on the way

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2006, 06:40 PM »
Indeed, right here: http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1159898340,26508,

*sigh* I shall require all four.

http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=5898&zoneid=2

Of this wave, I just want the Geonosis set. Clear pass on Hoth, and once I pick up the Gree troopers set I will already have the figures from the Kashyyyk set (well, besides the curious camo battle droids).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 06:48 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2006, 08:08 PM »
Pssst....hey guys who actually like these....

A New Empire Set

The Jedi Masters Set

Shocktrooper Batallion Set

Vader's 501st Legion Set

They're listed as "in stock" so I'm hoping it's not a mistake as I placed my own order for one of each a short time ago.  Too bad the 25% off code doesn't work anymore, but there they are.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2006, 09:48 PM »
Even though the order status on the website is still "Not Yet Shipped" and even though I have yet to get a shipping confirmation email, the four new Order 66 ULBPs arrived on my doorstep today.  I haven't had a chance to go over them completely (I did open them, however; I just haven't inspected them closely), but here's what I can say about each set:

-A NEW EMPIRE:  The Royal Guard in "attack" mode has the outer robe as a separately molded piece, and the undercloak bodysuit has some kind of knives on a thigh bandolier on each leg.  In other words, it doesn't look like the undercloak bodysuit of the ROTS Royal Guard action figure.  Sidious and Vader are both very nicely sculpted, although the paint applications on my Sidious' face are a bit wonky.  Plus the base on Vader is kind of rubbery, so I'm going to have to do some adjusting so he'll stand properly.

-JEDI MASTERS:  Again, Saesee Tiin falls prey to the poorly painted face affliction, and Mace is holding his robe in a very unusual way.  Kit Fisto's blade is not attached in the package (it's in a small baggie taped behind him on the cardboard backdrop), and all three figures (most notably Mace) have bases molded in clear plastic with painted applications, with Mace's having various shards of broken glass from Palpatine's office window laying on the stairs.  The Royal Guard included in this set is the exact same figure as included in the "New Empire" set and is, essentially, a salt/pepper shaker on a very small scale.

I'd also like to point out that Hasbro makes a really poor attempt at explaining why Agen Kolar is not included in this set in the bio on the back.  Basically, Hasbro wants us to forget the fact that Kolar rode with Fisto, Mace, and Tiin to the Chancellor's Office in that Gunship and instead believe that THEY HAD TO WAIT ON HIM IN PALPATINE'S WAITING ROOM.  I guess Kolar had to visit the Midicholri-Can on the way in.  Sith or not, a Jedi's gotta go when he's gotta go, I suppose.

-SHOCK TROOPER ATTACK BATALLION:  Two figures are straight repaints of the Utapau Clone Troopers from the first wave of the year (the wide stance standing guy and the awkward running pose kneeling guy), with the other two being new molds.  The only complaint I have is that the bases on the two new guys are not solid, and are instead hollow.  The best way I can describe this shortcoming is how the Unleashed 7" bases were always solid (ala Padme, AOTC Anakin, etc) and then all of a sudden Aayla Secura and the Tusken Raider had hollow bases.  Not a big deal and it doesn't affect the quality of the pose, but still it reeks of cutting corners.

-VADER'S 501st LEGION:  Only one repaint in the bunch (the standing at attention Utapau Clone Trooper) and he's got an entirely new base.  Great poses on the new guys, great bases (made to look like pieces of the Jedi Temple stairs and decor), and a good variety with no real stinker poses.  This is one that people who collect this line (e.g. me) are going to want in multiples, and I must say that the Vader from the New Empire set looks very nice leading them all. 

Overall, I'd say these sets get a 8 out of 10 overall with my only sore spot being the non-inclusion of Agen Kolar and Hasbro's rather lame attempt at explaining his non-inclusion.  The 501st and Shocktrooper sets are great for army building, and the New Empire and Jedi Master sets are great for having more main and secondary characters to fill out the shelves.  Of course, since I'm one of about 10 people across the country collecting these at this point, that doesn't say a whole lot, does it? :)