Author Topic: 78th Annual Academy Awards  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: 78th Annual Academy Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 6, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I've voiced my opinions on the Academy before and although I started losing respect for them when Forest Gump won over Shawshank, the final straw was when Sean Astin didn't get a supporting actor nomination for any of the LOTR movies.

I agree with you there, but it's had for me to loose respect when my peers and I don't agree (any peers, not just the academy) when my peers are judging by the same set of criteria. I personally think the Shawshank/Gump year was one of those years where it was a tough choice (so was Pulp Fiction). Was Shawshank a better film? Maybe. Was it crafted any better than Gump? I don't think so. They were both outstanding IMO. But, I still can see why Gump won. As far as Astin, he was outstanding and it was a crying shame that he wasn't nominated, but best supporting actor is always a tough one because usually, everyone nominated was equally outstanding. And I agree with Bill Cable too about Jackson. His was the better performance, but what are you going to do? Academically critiquing a film and or performance can only take you so far. After that, it's about which one resinated more with you, and I can't find fault when you have a group equally outstanding choices and your personal favorate didn't make the cut.  :P

Besides, for as much as the acedemy gets it wrong, the do get it right. Case in point, Crash winning best picture. It was.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 6, 2006, 01:16 PM »
I agree with you there, but it's had for me to loose respect when my peers and I don't agree (any peers, not just the academy) when my peers are judging by the same set of criteria.

The the Screen Actors Guild awards are for you, not the Oscars!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 6, 2006, 01:43 PM »
I agree with you there, but it's had for me to loose respect when my peers and I don't agree (any peers, not just the academy) when my peers are judging by the same set of criteria.

Sorry Rob, I'm a little slow, please explain. :-[

I may have phrased it wrong, but what I was trying to say was that I don't disrespect people for making intelligent decisions if I don't agree with the decision.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 7, 2006, 09:45 AM »
I've voiced my opinions on the Academy before and although I started losing respect for them when Forest Gump won over Shawshank...

I couldn't agree anymore. That year pissed me off to no end. Shawshank was such a beautifully crafted film. Gump was no more than a retard sitting on a bench and I think the only reason it won was Hanks...
I tell myself every year that i'm not going to watch the Oscars but I end up doing so anyways even though I haven't seen 99 percent of the movies nominated. This year I was glad to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman win. I haven't seen Capote and nor do I plan to. I just think he is a phenominal actor and really puts all of himself into his roles. He deserved to win 100%...
Three Six Mafia won best song, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! While I don't think the song category had any real strong contenders this year, I still don't think that was the best out there...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 7, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Well, they are right, it IS hard out here for a pimp.

Maybe the Academy rewarded them for telling it like it is.

Seriously though, I don't care much for the liberal elitists getting together to shun the rest of the country - although I am happy that Hoffman won - two of my favorite movies - The Big Lebowski and Boogie Nights - feature some of his best acting!

:P
« Last Edit: March 7, 2006, 09:54 AM by ruiner »

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 7, 2006, 10:12 AM »
Well, they are right, it IS hard out here for a pimp.

Maybe the Academy rewarded them for telling it like it is.

Seriously though, I don't care much for the liberal elitists getting together to shun the rest of the country - although I am happy that Hoffman won - two of my favorite movies - The Big Lebowski and Boogie Nights - feature some of his best acting!

:P

I loved him in Punch-Drunk Love as The Mattress Man, I think Sandler should have been nominated for that movie, his best work yet...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 7, 2006, 11:43 AM »
You know, I have not seen Punch Drunk Love - I love Paul Anderson, but absolutely loathe Adam Sandler.  I simply cannot stand the man.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 7, 2006, 12:00 PM »
How can you be best director and not have best picture?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 7, 2006, 12:06 PM »
How can you be best director and not have best picture?

Because they're two separate things?

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 7, 2006, 01:25 PM »
You know, I have not seen Punch Drunk Love - I love Paul Anderson, but absolutely loathe Adam Sandler.  I simply cannot stand the man.

I recommend you rent it. If you like Anderson, you'll like this. This is unlike anything Sandler has ever done, no gibberish or shennanigans. Just straight up black-comedy and drama...
« Last Edit: March 7, 2006, 01:27 PM by Madcow »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 7, 2006, 03:29 PM »

Sorry Rob, I'm a little slow, please explain. :-[

I may have phrased it wrong, but what I was trying to say was that I don't disrespect people for making intelligent decisions if I don't agree with the decision.

I may have misread your post - I thought you were implying that the Oscars were more meaningful because they were being judged by their peers, which is what the SAG Awards do, not the Oscars.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 8, 2006, 09:44 AM »

Seriously though, I don't care much for the liberal elitists getting together to shun the rest of the country -

Could you explain this comment? What does the rest of the counrty have to do with the Academy Awards?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 8, 2006, 10:32 AM »
We get it, republicans think hollywood is all liberal - just like that evil media. 

(Nevermind the dozens of conservative actors that I could name off of the top of my head who are plenty vocal in their own right.

Either way, let's keep this from getting political - since we all know it's not allowed.  :)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 8, 2006, 12:20 PM »
Rob - please let me get these two words in (RE: Darth Anton's question):

George Clooney.

Thanks.  I'm done.   8)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder