Author Topic: 78th Annual Academy Awards  (Read 8265 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
78th Annual Academy Awards
« on: March 5, 2006, 09:17 PM »
So is anyone watching? They just announced the Makeup (The only category SW was nominated for) winner, and needless to say it wasn't SW. **** the Chronicles Of Narnia. **** the Academy.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 78th Annual Academy Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2006, 09:40 PM »
Award shows mean virtually nothing to me - I'm not really interested in what the Academy thinks.   

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2006, 09:48 PM »
I'm watching.  It's a rare thing this year that no fewer than 5 movies that I absolutely loved are up for awards. 

Good Night and Good Luck
A History of Violence
Syriana
Walk the Line
and
The Constant Gardener

It's usually one or two and they never win anything anyway.  Of course, of the 5 movies - most of them will probably lose out to Brokeback Mountain in the end...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2006, 09:58 PM »
I agree with Jesse, these awards shows are somebody elses view of what "is" or "isn't" good.  I vote with my money so I think that box office should be what determines the winner, not whether or not some shut ins in California think that something is more socially impacting or a story that "needed" to be told.  It might very well be, but unless Box office supports it, forget it.  Just my opinion.  I think it would stop the whole problem that I have only heard of 2 of the movies even being considered for best picture.  It has nothing to do with the fact ROTS was totally overlooked (the acting wasn't that great, but the effects should have been a no brainer.)

I just don't think you can be Best Picture of 2005 if it was only shown in 3 cities in December...

I don't the have ANY credentials to make any statements, didn't study film in school, wasn't an art major, don't work in the industy, but I have the internet, so I can share my uniformed opinion with the whole world!! :)

OK after Rob posted while I was Typing...I've heard of 4, I just forgot and didn't get a chance to see any of them...
« Last Edit: March 5, 2006, 10:00 PM by pmundheim »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Best Oscar win ever!  :D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2006, 11:03 PM »
Best Oscar win ever!  :D

Eh hem...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2006, 11:12 PM »
Sorry, Landau rulz!  :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: March 5, 2006, 11:24 PM »
It really is mind boggling that Sith wasn't at least nominated for Effects (Clones back in the day as well)

What they did was revolutionary and to think that 80-90% of what you see is CGI...and I really don't consider myself to be a huge fanboy or anything.  Just watching the Short on the DVD about all it took to make that minute of duel footage and multiply that by 130-140...yowzers

I think this is the first year in a long, long time that I haven't even seen one of the nominated Best Picture films, so I can't really comment on any of it, glad to see Hoffman win though, that guy has always been brilliant

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 5, 2006, 11:35 PM »
I was suprised that Sith wasn't nominated too - but it wouldn't have mattered, what they did in King Kong was absolutely beyond amazing from an effects stand point.  The award was completely deserved.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2006, 11:59 PM »
Sorry, Landau rulz!  :-*

That was the moment when I lost all respect for the Oscars.  SAM JACKSON WUZ ROBBED!!!

I'm pretty surprised after all the hype for Brokeback that Crash won best picture.  I didn't see any of the nominated films, but Crash was the one of them that I was most interested in watching.  Munich would be second.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2006, 12:08 AM »
out of all the movies nominated, Revenge of the Sith was all i saw. probably won't even get around to watching any of the others either. so who cares what the academy thinks.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 6, 2006, 12:10 AM »
That was the moment when I lost all respect for the Oscars. 

I lost interest when Ghandi won for best costume, for a bed sheet!   :-X

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 6, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Well, the I guess I'm one of the few around here who more or less agrees with the academy. I could see how most people feel, but lets face it, the academy (when politics isn't playing a huge role) is all about a the craft of film making, not a popularity contest. If you want popularity, stick with the MTV movie awards. I feel this is one of the few years that the academy got it right for the most part. I was surprised the Reese Witherspoon and George Clooney won and very satisfied thd Crash and Ang Lee got their kudos. As for SW and Make-Up, it was a tough call for me. I didn't consider Cinderella man in the running because boxing fight make-up's been done before, but Narnia and SW were both quality contenders. I didn't think SW deserved an FX nomination. There was nothing really new (visually) in ROTS and they were pretty uninspired.

Out of all the popular films this year that I feel could have or should have been nominated for awards, I think Batman Begins coud have been a best picture contneder, Sin City for VFX, 40 Year Old Virgin for Original Screenplay and the dark horse of Ian MacDiramid for ROTS.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 6, 2006, 10:43 AM »
I'm with Anton on this one - everything except for the 40 Year Old Virgin part.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 6, 2006, 11:31 AM »
I've voiced my opinions on the Academy before and although I started losing respect for them when Forest Gump won over Shawshank, the final straw was when Sean Astin didn't get a supporting actor nomination for any of the LOTR movies.

I don't think ROTS was worthy of a nomination in any of the top categories except for supporting actor for Ian...so I definitely agree with Anton on that!

But costume, make up and sound editing were all great for ROTS and I thought they should have been nominated for those.  A lot of the CGI stuff was innovated for TPM and AOTC, and they were both nominated, but neither won.  As with LOTR getting thrown a bone on Return of the King I thought maybe Lucas and Co. would get a nod this time around for stuff they didn't win on TPM and AOTC...guess not.

I think that Sin City getting locked out probably had to do with Rodriguez not being in the Directors Guild anymore...can a film even get nominated if it's not associated anymore?  Or maybe everyone was just bitter.  I don't know.  But it was probably payback for him being a "maverick" or whatever.  That film did a lot to advance digital filmmaking, the costumes and makeup were incredible and am I the only one that thought Mickey Rourke should have been nominated for a supporting actor?

I also agree with pmundheim about not nominating movies that opened in limited release over Christmas weekend.  If 100 people saw it in L.A. and NY before January 1st of 2006 can it really be considered a 2005 movie?  Better yet, can it really be considered that great?  Eh...

The only film that was nominated for best picture that I saw was Crash and I really liked it and I'm glad it won.  I definitely have to see Good Night, and Good Luck and Capote but I'm not that interested in Munich.  I'll probably see Brokeback Mountain but it's not high on my list.  And I just have to comment on that film...I'm sure it was good, I don't doubt that, but I look at it this way; if it was a similar film with all the production, direction, music and costume, and the story was about a man and a woman, it probably wouldn't even be on the list...anywhere.  I use Pride & Prejudice as an example to back that claim up...love story with high production quality and directing but other than Keira's nomination for supporting actress the only other nominations were technical (costume and art). 

Most of the acting awards were a toss-up, I guess, but I'm psyched that Hoffman won best actor.  That guy is a genius!  I didn't really have a horse in any of the other races.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"