Author Topic: Best CD's of the 90's  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Best CD's of the 90's
« on: May 9, 2003, 09:59 AM »
I'll name my top 5, you can list as many as you want...No real order but these 5 are my cream of the 90's crop

Tom Petty ~ Wildflowers

I broke up with a pretty serious girlfriend in 1996, I must have listened to this CD 200 times, it deals with loss of love, how crappy it makes you feel and how everything will be alright.  Tom's guitar work is amazing and the classic video moment (weeks later Snoop Dogg was blanketing the airwaves  ::))

"So let me get to the point, lets roll another reaara"  

Alice in Chains ~ Jar of Flies

This is an EP so there are only 7 songs on here and 1 is an instrumental.  The 6 songs together though are some of the greatest songs I have ever heard, Layne's lament of spiraling into a hopeless addiction is very evident.  Another CD I could listen to for hours and hours

Smashing Pumpkins ~ Siamese Dream

One of those discs that doesn't have a bad track on it from beginining to the end every song is just balls on solid rock.  How it all lays out and blaneds from song to song is an amazing collection of art.  That to me is one of the greatest parts about CD's too.  This was a staple in the disc changers while playing thousands of games of Sega NHL Hockey.  I abosuletly love this CD

Pearl Jam ~ No Code

Not everyone's favorite Pearl Jam CD, but it is mine.  Kind of goes back to Siamese Dream, the first string of 6 songs are all amoungst my favorite PJ songs:

Sometimes
Hail, Hail
Who You Are (I wish they would still play this in concert)
In My Tree
Smile
Off He Goes

The B-Side of the Record is full of some great gems as well, a lot of fans hate this one, one of their worst sellers, I still remember lining up at Best Buy at midnight and listening to No Code all night long.   :'(

Soul Asylum ~ Grave Dancers Union

This CD will always have a special place in my heart...a really special place :-*  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Best CD's of the 90's
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2003, 10:06 AM »
I think the obvious choice would be Nevermind by Nirvana, but I'll go with Superunknown by Soundgarden.  An all around solid album by one of the underated "grunge" bands (AIC being the other)

I like your choices of Tom Petty and Soul Asylum, Scott.  Both are pretty solid albums.  I had a chance to see TP&tHB in concert supporting Wildflowers and it was incredible.  Probably one of my top concert experiences.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 9, 2003, 10:36 AM »
Nevermind is a great CD and in general I like Nirvana, but after a while to me, it all starts sounding the same.  They do mix it up a bit and especially on Something In The Way

For me though Incesticide and Unplugged are leaps and bounds ahead of Nevermind.  Just me though (Unlpugged just missed the cut  :-*)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 9, 2003, 10:39 AM »
That Smashing Pumpkins was an awesome CD.  What CD do I think is the best one that came out?  I have no idea.      :-\
dustrho

Jango Fettish

« Reply #4 on: May 9, 2003, 11:13 AM »

Rrrrrico......Suaaaaaave.

Yes, Virginia! There is a NKOTB Greatest Hits CD!

You're unbelievable...if you actually bought this album.

Ahh, yes. Young Black Teenagers. "Spin the Cap".

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 9, 2003, 11:24 AM »
As mentioned, Nevermind by Nirvana. #1.  :-*

Virex

« Reply #6 on: May 9, 2003, 11:25 AM »
My personal favorite of the 90's:  Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream

Very nearly a perfect record.  Those thick-ass guitars.  Those drums.  There's not any other record that sounds like this one, unless it's Collective Soul, ripping it off.  :)

My original pick for best album of the 90's:  U2, Achtung, Baby!

If Siamese Dream is a nearly perfect record, then Achtung is the perfect one.  How crazy is it that they could totally change their sound and their style, and still come out with an album that was just as good, if not better, than The Joshua Tree?

My alternate pick for best album of the 90's:  Radiohead, OK Computer

Again, like U2, they totally changed their sound from the excellent, more-traditional rock record The Bends, with the electronic, sparse-yet-layered new one, with fantastic results.

Honorable mentions:

Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville
Wilco, Being There  
The Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin
Sonic Youth, Dirty
Beck, Odelay
PJ Harvey, Rid of Me
Pavement, Slanted & Enchanted
« Last Edit: May 9, 2003, 11:31 AM by Virex »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 9, 2003, 11:35 AM »
OK Computer and Achtung are also in my Top 10, every song on Achtung Baby is a near masterpiece, One, Even Better than the Real Thing, Wild Horses, Mysterious Ways...great, great CD

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2003, 11:36 AM »
There are three albums that I just happened upon during the 90's that weren't from giant rockstars or heavily promoted singles, but continue to rank in my all-time favorites (namely, the CD rack where I keep all my current favorite albums for quick listening). Maybe not "the best" of their day, but definitely unsung:

Kyuss--Blues for the Red Sun: A solid album from the force that eventually went on to become Queens of the Stone Age, this album is so thick and heavy, the sludgiest grunge I've ever heard, but also beautiful.  The opening track "Thumb" just builds and builds. Other stand outs include "Thong Song" (uh, not  that Thong Song) "Allen Wrench" and "Freedom Run." For fans of the Queens, or anyone who was into STP, Nirvana, or Pearl jam in the mid 90s.

Compulsion--Comforter: Another album along the grungier side, and I think the only album this band ever released. It sort of bridges the gap between pure grunge and the new-punk of Green Day. What impresses most is the heart, thought and feeling behind these songs. Great tracks include "Delivery", "Eating", "Mall Monarchy", and "Domestique." Anyone who can straddle punk and grunge will appreciate the sounds here.

Life, Sex, and Death--The Silent Majority: This album is impossible to peg. The vocals are indescribable--from fluttering falsetto to raging bile in a split second. The band comes in as super-processed as any 80's hair band. The songs range from straight-ahead hard rock to bluesy to inspirational. Anothewr band the world never heard from again. Instantly memorable tunes include "Tank," "School's for Fools", and "The Farm Song." I'd say fans of Faith No More or anyone who can listen to both Nirvana and Poison in the same day.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2003, 01:28 PM »
My favorite is Guns n' Roses masterpiece Use Your Illusions I and II, that is some great music.  November Rain, Don't Cry, Estranged, You Could Be Mine, etc etc etc
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 9, 2003, 01:29 PM »
This is a really subjective topic, but here are my top ten, in no particular:

Nirvana-Nevermind
Pearl Jam-Ten
Alice In Chains-DIRT
Mr. Bungle-Mr Bungle
PJ Harvey-Rid Of Me
Radiohead-OK Computer
Radiohead-The Bends
Motocaster-Get Loaded
The Reverend Horton Heat-Liquor In The Front
Veruca Salt-America Thighs
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: May 9, 2003, 02:18 PM »
Oh sure it is totally subjective...I am intrigued by Muftak's listings may have to check them out :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2003, 02:25 PM »
In a landslide:

Followed closely by:

I'll tell you want I want, what I really, really want...  Word to ya' mutha...   ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2003, 10:38 PM »
 :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member