Author Topic: FX X-Wing  (Read 4300 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
FX X-Wing
« on: March 8, 2006, 02:41 PM »
I just picked up a FX X-Wing and I'm wondering why the box is so freaking big.  I have the Saga editions, even have a few hanging from the ceiling but I can't quite figure out the box size.  Did Kenner just try and make the ship appear larger than it actually is or are my eyes deceiving me?  I'm not opening this thing, so I'm just wondering.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2006, 02:41 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Gorkoracing

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: FX X-Wing
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I have 2 i think but have never opened them but i believe i remember a picture of the 2 xwings compared together and the fx xwing was a tad bit larger than the old x-wing.  Anyone else confirm this.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Well the FX X-Wing is more than twice the size of the regular electronic one from POTF2.  I did not get the Saga one so I do not know which one it is.  The FX one was made for being opened and displayed.  The boX is about the same length of the ship so that should give you an idea.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2006, 08:32 PM by Gatillo »
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2006, 09:29 AM »
The FX/saga x-wing is more that a tad bigger than the old one. It's almost twice the size. ;)

As far as why the FX X-wing box is larger in width, it's anyone's guess. It was the first release, perhaps when it came around to the saga releases they realized they didn't need such a huge size?  :-\
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 05:59 AM »
The FX box was oddly sized.  Short of having the guns on it, it really could have been assembled in there, but yet it wasn't, so that's weird.  The window boxes were much more appealing too (the ones used for the TRU exclusives).  I think that, since the original ship was A) more expensive, and B) in a cheaper package (not window boxed), that Hasbro was trying to give the illusion of "bang for your buck" by issuing the FX X-Wing in a larger box.

You paid more for it than the TRU ships and ultimately you got less IMO.  Electronics are actually a minimal cost increase I found out recently...  They're generally crude and simplistic electronics with little effort to their development, so to a person like me you get more out of the TRU ships which fit figures, came with figures, etc.... 

The FX X-Wing was really revolutionary at the time...  But even it looks comically small next to the new, properly scaled, TIE Fighter...  Call me crazy but I'd take a new to-scale X-Wing...  Y-Wing too.  The two best fighters in the trilogy for me. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 04:38 PM »
I think the thing was close to $50 at original retail, and it probably was in such a huge box to give the buyer the bang-for-the-buck feeling as was said.

I remember seeing some of these during the great purge for $20 and I never bought one. Then they up and disappeared one day.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 04:05 AM »
Yeah, if you had Hills, you had these things in droves for $20 or even less.  I bought tons...  Was gonna customize but the scale of it just turned me off eventually and I sold them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:24 AM »
The scaled didn't deter me for some reason. I bought a couple at $20 and customized two. I made a Biggs and Porkins fighter with their respective droids, but still haven't displayed them. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."