Author Topic: Cheapest/best way(s) to buy old figures?  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
Cheapest/best way(s) to buy old figures?
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:01 PM »
Living in a smallish city with no place to buy figures 90% of the time besides one Wal Mart or the internet, combined with "jumping on the wagon" a bit late, I've missed many, many figure lines. So I find myself buying a lot of used figures that I want on eBay in the last few months, and that's worked out pretty good... for the most part.

However, there are a few pieces that have gotten rarer, and I can't seem to find for humanly affordable prices on eBay. Increasing this problem is that nearly all of these auctions only sell these rarer figures MOC, which is nice but I really don't need, preferring loose figures.

Eventually I might cough up enough money to actually buy these things (though I feel a bit guilty spending $20 on one figure in any situation), so I'd really like to explore some other options for buying these figures. I would like to find the least expensive way available for getting ahold of these figures, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

This isn't a "wants" trading list post or anything (yet, at least), just some examples of the figures I'm wanting and having trouble finding under $20 (or in the evolutions' case, $30) on eBay:

Mara Jade (POTF EU)
Han Solo (VOTC)
Chewbacca (VOTC)
Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader Evolutions

I'm having a less extreme version of the problem with finding a few other things, such as the Saga/OTC Jedi Luke.

I'm sorry if this thread is out of place or full of noob-ish annoyance >.< I know it's quite likely I won't find these figures below $20 anywhere, so I'll understand if that's the case. Thank you for reading and any assistance/advice offered.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapest/best way(s) to buy old figures?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:53 PM »
I'm a bit surprised you're having trouble with the ones listed at least.  Mara Jade was going for under $10 a lot not so long ago on ebay.  She had been considerably higher, but dropped and stayed down for a long time.  I'd suggest just keep watching the 'bay for her, she'll come up cheap.

The VOTC are a tale of two ends of the spectrum.  Han was remarkably plentiful and even clearanced up here in Canada.  Chewie and the rest of the wave he was in was less common, or at least perceived to be less common.  I guess I'm not surprised to see difficulty with Chewie, but I am surprised by Han. 

As for the evolutions set, well, they sold really well, retailed at $20 (or higher online) and are a very nice set of three high quality figures.  I really don't see that one dropping at all, though I think if you check Amazon and Entertainment Earth, you'll still find it online.  I'd be more concerned about this one going up than any of the others.

What to do about it?  Haunt the buy/sell/trade sections of the various boards and see what can come up.  This board in particular is better than most with people actually willing to help out without expecting your first born in return.  Post a wanted items thread and see what happens.  I'm sure there are some VOTC lying around out there.  Spare evolutions will be tougher though, but someone's always getting out of some segment of the hobby.  Mara Jade is probably best left to ebay, but with her appearing on the toyfare fan's choice top 25, I expect her price may climb in the short term.  But I saw almost all of that EU stuff go for under $10 and lower than $5 per piece not so long ago, save the Space Trooper and Dark Trooper.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 12:03 AM »
Oops- perhaps I shouldn't have listed Han there. Truth be told, I've spent a lot more time looking for VOTC Chewbaccas and Stormtroopers, and it seems there are at the moment a few Hans going for more like $15. I'll likely be buying one of those soon, then >.< And I'll try to watch what I say a bit more, as well.

Thank you very much, though! I very much appreciate your advice and will try to follow it. The thought of looking for Evolutions Anakin on an online retailer hadn't even occured to me; I need to look into that.

I've watched a number of Mara Jade auctions in the last few weeks and all of them topped $20; at the moment I've got my eye on a loose one ending tommorrow with no bids at $13, though I have my doubts, it might work out well.

Thanks!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 04:11 AM »
And I'll try to watch what I say a bit more, as well.

Don't wory about that at all. We all had to start in this hobby at some point, the only way you'll learn is to ask questions, so no worries there. :)

Morgbug gave you some good advice, especially when it comes to checking the classifieds here, (and other places too I suppose, but I think you'll find the classifieds here have prices that are much more fair.) I saw a VOTC go for $8 just the other day actually. Check out some of JDs sponsors too, sometimes you can find a good deal through some of them. There's a website called eplanettoys.com too that I've found has some really good deals and they are very reliable when it comes to shipping and customer service.

I've found http://www.razorsedgecollectibles.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24&sort=2a&page=1 to be pretty good too.

Good luck finding what you are looking for and don't be afraid to ask more questions. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 12:03 PM »
Okay, thank you ^^ To be honest, I'm not sure I completely understand how to use the classifieds/how the process works. Can you just post in the appropriate forum that you want so and so figure(s) under so and so price in so and so condition(s), and then someone might reply if they're willing to sell one meeting those parameters? Also, how is shipping/handling accounted for?

I also noticed that people seem to bump their own want lists when they don't get replies and fall too low (probably back a page, I'd think) on the threads list; is that frowned on at all, or limited to a certain amount of times you're allowed to do it or something?

Right at the moment I unfortunately don't have a whole lot of money I can (practically, that is) spend on figures, so most purchasing will probably have to wait a few weeks unless I find something great. While I am keeping an eye out for the other figures I want, my main focus in online buying at the moment is trying to find an affordable Mara Jade... that, and I'm saving some money back in case I can find the VTSCs in stores, of course. (I was totally surprised when I found out they were even making them, actually; Endor Han looks even cooler than the first VOTC Han, and a SA Scout Trooper and X-Wing Luke...!)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 01:39 PM »
I'd suggest looking through the classifieds section on sites like this one. Many times you can get stuff for very cheap, and even make a friend out of the deal.  8)

Just make a list of what you want to buy, and the minimum condition the figures you want have to be in. Setting prices can be iffy, because you can be overcharged easily, so I'd just leave them out and you can work out the price with the seller. Shipping is paid by the buyer.

Its up to you as to how often you bump your threads. Its not against the rules, but its frowned upon to bump your thread too many times. A good rule of thumb is that when it hits the 3rd page to bump it.

Just keep an eye out for deals...eventually you'll find what you are looking for at a decent price.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:43 PM by Victor_Von_Doom »
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski