Author Topic: Titanium Series 3.75" Die-Cast Figures  (Read 96287 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Titanium Series 3.75" Forged Figures
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2005, 03:31 PM »
Does anyone else question whether Hasbro really needs to have the Unleashed at $15 anyway?  Aren't they fairly identical in scale, articulation and size to McFarlane figures?  Doesn't matter whether you're talking Twisted Oz, Sportspicks or Elvis, the McFarlane stuff is equivalent at 2/3 the price.  I would have thought that the UL stuff would have had that tidy additional $5 margin.

The extra $5 must be for the "awesome" artwork on the cards - McFarlane ain't got that!   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Does anyone else question whether Hasbro really needs to have the Unleashed at $15 anyway?  Aren't they fairly identical in scale, articulation and size to McFarlane figures?  Doesn't matter whether you're talking Twisted Oz, Sportspicks or Elvis, the McFarlane stuff is equivalent at 2/3 the price.  I would have thought that the UL stuff would have had that tidy additional $5 margin.

They are pretty close. I have in my office at work both my Star Wars Unleashed and my McFarlane Matrix open collections.

From the untrained/non-sci-fi-geeks I get a lot of "are these all from the same movie?"

More recently though, I get a lot of the Dads coming in asking "Where do you get those cool Star Wars statues? My son is really into Star Wars and I'd love to get him some." My patented answer is to go over to the TRU right near by and purchase the Anakin and Obi-Wan pair from ROTS  ;D -- gotta get 'em sold to make room for the Shocktrooper/Chewie/Han wave somehow!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2005, 04:43 PM »
I think this is some sort of ploy as they are probably surprised with the response that people are showing towards the Attakus 3-3/4" line.

I'm all for it IF they limit it to the OT (the prequels like this would be a bad move in my opinion as probably only the hardcore collectors want these, and most of the die hards seem to be OT enthusiasts) and make some sort of awesome, somewhat large diorama/environments for them.

:P

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2005, 11:39 AM »
Man, for $15 SRP, I just don't get it.

Why will retailers support a line that is readily available in plastic?  And if price is an issue with Unleashed (at $15) why are these die cast figures any different??

Something doesn't jive here.

???

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2005, 12:49 PM »
You're right ruiner... I think they are just trying to go about something different and see what happens.  With there being no more films, they are more apt to try something new.

With the 7" Unleashed, it seemed like some waves did good, some did awful.  To me it was a line that had a short leash.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 05:39 PM »
LOL-Hasbro can charge the 15$ because they are hasbro, not mcfarlane. You know what? I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and claim that the hasbro toy group is more popular,more known, been around a long time etc and they know it. They are supposedly "the industry"(for star wars.) Other companies are getting more poplular but let's face it..are they really at hasbro's level? C'mon..really? Yeah, yeah I acknowledge the other companies but who has most of the Lucas liscences? I'm not saying the other man's. are bad- (I love the mcfarlane detail),(the dragon series is awesome). I'm just saying ..as smaller companies with far fewer licensing how much can they REALLY afford to charge. This isn't to say that even a bigger company like Hasbro can make freq. mistakes(see the aayla unleashed wave(overproduction))-but what I am saying is with so many customers (completist collectors) they do have a monopoly and can charge what ever they decide.

LOL- I really beleive they could have continued to market the unleashed line for 20$ apiece and continued production and they still would be selling-NP-Especially if they dump the 12in line earlier last year. IMO

Offline zachmoe

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 05:07 AM »
I think the reason why Hasbro is changing the line is because, as many people have pointed out, the 3 3/4 inch line is by far the most popular.  It sells the most.  It is the line that most collectors collect.  I believe that Hasbro is under the impression that the reason it does so well is because it is the right size, at least in the opinion of most collectors.  I believe that they are attempting to target the people that only collect the 3 3/4 inch figures, and offer them something a little more collectable, maybe more detail, something that will stand out a little bit more than the regular 3 3/4 inch figures.  I absolutely hate the fact that the Unleashed are being discontiuned, I have loved that line ever since it came out.  However, some people hate the unleashed line, and I'm sure there are those people out there who are glad to see them go.  The new line is different, I like it a lot better than those crappy Force Battlers, but not enough to give up the Unleashed line.  Is there anyone who is excited by the new expensive 3 3/4 line?  Just curious, as most people seem to hate the idea.  Anyone willing to give them a chance?   

Offline Firebat

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2005, 06:38 PM »
I like the idea of 3.75" die cast figures, but only for certain characters. Die cast works for Boba, Vader, Troops, and Droids, but that's it. It would seem odd to have a human or alien figures made of die-cast.

Overall, I'm sad to see the Unleashed line changed to the small scale. Their was so much potential wasted.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2005, 01:36 AM »
I'd have liked Die-cast droids actually, but only droids.

Fett, the Stormie's...  They looked more plastic to me in the film than metal.  Fett's armor looked metal, but not like the Fett figure we saw (metallic looking all over which is just odd).

A metal 3PO unit or R2 though, that's appealling.  Or a metal Gonk droid...  Could be cool.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2005, 05:34 PM »
The only good thing I see coming out of this line is a fighting weapon.  You know instead of using a roll of quarters.....8)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2005, 11:00 PM »
The only good thing I see coming out of this line is a fighting weapon.  You know instead of using a roll of quarters.....8)

So chalk you up for one Titanium Fett and one used men's athletic sock? Once you got both you're in the mood for busting heads? Hehe
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Although I'm not really interested in this line, especially at $15 a piece, I thought this little piece of info was interesting...from the latest RS Q and A:

"Based on what we were told at Comic Con, the Forged figures will have some articulation, but not as much as the basic figures. It's a trade off when you go to that type of material (Die-cast metal), but it sounds like Hasbro is at least trying to do some other interesting things with the line. For instance the Boba Fett figure will feature a removable helmet, a first for this particular character…"

So Hasbro finally decides to do a removable helmet Boba Fett, and its in the Titanium line?  Yeah, that makes sense.  Of course this isn't technically "confirmed", but I'm sure there will be some people upset about this.  I mean, its nice that they are doing it, but I think it would be quite well received in the "basic" figure line.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2005, 10:07 AM »
So Hasbro finally decides to do a removable helmet Boba Fett, and its in the Titanium line?  Yeah, that makes sense.  Of course this isn't technically "confirmed", but I'm sure there will be some people upset about this.  I mean, its nice that they are doing it, but I think it would be quite well received in the "basic" figure line.

I'd guess because they know they need a gimmick to try to sell this to the guys like me who have zero interest in this line.

I'd wager that a removable helmet on Boba Fett will be enough of a pull that some people will end up grabbing this one.  Maybe they will finally do a removable helmet Stormtrooper for this line too?   ::)

I still think this whole idea is pretty lame though.  No offense to anyone who is planning to buy this line, but buying $15 metal figures seems kinda lame to me when I can get a $5-6 plastic version with more articulation.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2005, 02:04 PM »
metal Battledroids, Super Battledroids, Droidekas, Magnaguards and General Greivous would be great. I'd finally have battledroids that didn't bend in the warmth of spring.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2005, 03:17 PM »
How about a Battle Droid 3-pk, priced at $20.00?  I'm game.