Author Topic: Titanium Series 3.75" Die-Cast Figures  (Read 96269 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Titanium Series 3.75" Forged Figures
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2006, 10:25 PM »
New pictures of helmet-less Vader and Boba here:

http://www.mintinbox.net/Actus/06-01/titanium-proto

For the first official removable-helmet Boba figure we've ever gotten, I'm a little disappointed.  We've gotten removable-helmet Jango and Clone heads out the wazoo, and they've all looked pretty much identical to each other.

I was hoping that for Boba, they could at least change up his head somewhat.  You know, like with a different haircut (like longer hair), or a heavily-scarred face, or even something silly like an eyepatch or a bionic eye or something.  Just anything, to make it different from all those Jangos and Clones we've gotten.

Oh well.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2006, 11:09 PM »
I really don't get the point of these figures (as is the case of almost all of the crap Hasbro has put out this year...i.e. Transformers, Motorcycles, Die Cast, Mini Unleashed etc)  But, if and when they get to do a C-3PO and R2, count me in

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2006, 11:10 PM »

For the first official removable-helmet Boba figure we've ever gotten, I'm a little disappointed.  We've gotten removable-helmet Jango and Clone heads out the wazoo, and they've all looked pretty much identical to each other.

I have to agree - it seems so anti-climactic to wait for so many years to see what he looks like underneath, only to now see that he looks like every other clone.  Surely it would have been fun to work with Lucasfilm to develop some sort of backstory to a huge scar on his face.  

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Too bad they couldn't model the head after Boba from the Infinities comic series.

Really looks nothing like Jango or any clone, AND has the long facial scar from some kind of past encounter.

Oh, and the figures kind of suck. Like Scott said, what's the point of them?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2006, 11:24 PM »
Oh, and the figures kind of suck. Like Scott said, what's the point of them?

The pretty case they come in.  Seriously, I think they're trying to think along the lines of the MOMC collector by doing this with a dressed up display base/cover.  I'll likely buy the Vader one, simply because I can't pass up anything of Darth Vader, but I won't be going any further than that.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2006, 11:32 PM »
There was just so much potential for the first helmet-less Boba.  Pre-pubescent Boba had longish-hair in Clones, why not carry that over to the older Boba?  Some scarring would have been cool - I mean, he's got a really ******-up, bashed-to-hell suit, is it not believable that he'd have a messed-up face, too?  That helmet couldn't have stayed on all the time.  And how about some facial hair, like in that pic Travis put up?  It'd be kind of neat if he had a beard or a goatee, or even a little Pedro-esque moustache or something.  Just anything, to make him different from his daddy.

My first inclination is to blame it on Hasbro for not using their collective imaginations, but I have to wonder if Lucasland had any say in this matter.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2006, 11:58 PM »
More than likely.  We may yet see a helmetless Boba in the OT.   ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2006, 03:51 AM »
Hasbro + LFL = Nothing Logical.

That's an equation where one will let you down one way, the other will let you down a total other way, and both try to lay the blame for their working relationship not always working on each other.  It's sad.

And I reiterate Scott's feelings...  This line is just silly.  I don't get it...  Droids I'd get, but Fett and Vader I don't...  They're expensive, they're dull, they're not even accurate looking so you don't even have that as like a "premium" figure or something... 

Metal is cool, don't get me wrong...  I have 1:18 tanks cast in metal, and they kick much ass, but THEY'RE TANKS.  They should be metal...  Vader and Fett just seem silly to me.

LIke Scott said though, 3PO I'd buy...  R2 I'd buy...  I'd actually like to see clearances on them so I could buy a few to paint up as something else.  But these figures just seem meh.

The only plus to Fett I see is his gun appears more accurate than anything Hasbro's done, so it'd be nice to own that to outfit your favorite Fett figure with something slightly better than a steaming turd.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2006, 04:28 AM »
Isn't one of the main reasons we've never gotten an articulated-knee'd Threepio in this scale is that Hasbro couldn't figure out an inexpensive way to do it in plastic without it looking like crap (i.e. the metallic paint flaking off, or whatever)?

I realize that a Saga Threepio w/Throne is rumored for this year, but if that doesn't pan out (or have the articulated knees), I wouldn't be surprised to see the Titanium version with the knees as kind of an exclusive feature.

I don't know very much about die-cast stuff, but they should be able to have articulated knees while keeping the metallic paint job in tact, correct?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2006, 10:14 AM »
I was kind of disappointed with the first version of "helmetless" Boba as well, not that I really planned on getting it either way.  It would be nice to see one in the regular line someday maybe, and if so do it like the comics picture above.  I'd like to see something a little bit different from all the clone/Jango heads we've already seen too.

I'm in the boat with many of the rest of you, not really interested in this line.  If we see an R2 and/or 3PO, I might pick those up though.  Otherwise, some of the characters chosen so far seem pointless.  Plus, from the sounds of it, the prices will be plenty high.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2006, 10:49 AM »
Hmmm... these suck IMO.  And the Boba helmet sticks out way too far to the side (it's far too wide) due to the antenna.  I just saved $15.00 per figure on these because I'm not blowing my wad on them.

Once again, I'd rather see some effort put into playset-dioramas instead of all this experimenting with other stuff.

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2006, 01:11 PM »
Good call on the helmetless Boba, Virex. I never expected anything other than a duplicate Jango head, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed by this; in fact, I didn't even think about it until you folks mentioned it.

I'm not so keen on facial hair for Boba--somehow it doesn't seem in keeping with my "read" of his personality in the EU--and for that reason I've never been gung-ho for the Infinities version Diddly posted. But in my mind's eye, I'm picturing hair a little longer than the military buzzcut (perhaps along the lines of what L'il Boba had in AOTC), and definitely with some scarring or a glass eye or something cool.

However, keep in mind that, as a toy, this is not necessarily the official way that the "real" Boba looks. So we may yet see something cooler in a comic (hopefully) or even the Sooper-Dooper 30th Anniversary boxset (hopefully not).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 01:15 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2006, 05:50 PM »
Some things were meant to be kept sacred...to me, Boba's face is one of them.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2006, 09:59 AM »
Hmmm...

Looks like Hasbro attempted some kind of update this AM, but none of the pictures work.  It will be interesting to see how Bossk and Sandtrooper look once they get around to fixing the pictures.   :P

And, since the rumor mill was right about Bossk/Sandtrooper being Wave 2, I guess we can expect IG-88 and a Clone Trooper in wave 3.  Here was the rumor/insider list again:

Wave 1 (now confirmed):
Darth Vader
Boba Fett

Wave 2 (now confirmed):
Bossk
Sandtrooper

Wave 3 (Rumored):
IG-88
Clone Trooper

Wave 4 (Rumored):
General Grievous
C-3PO
Battlestar Galactica Cylon Warrior
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline darkksith

• Youngling
  • Completest Crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2006, 10:56 AM »
ok, here is my problem. i'm a 3 3/4" loose completist collector. who here would count these as part of the normal line? i'm begining to lean towards the idea that they are because they do have removable helmets and some articulation. i do like the the looks of them but the price tag is a little much. i almost wish they were just statues so i wouldn't have to make a decision.   :P