Author Topic: New JD Review: Major Bren Derlin  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Major Bren Derlin
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:31 PM »
Another new review, yay me!

Clicky the image above, and you can read up on my thoughts on the Major who hangs out where everyone knows your name...  And no, he doesn't hang out here at JediDefender.com, but rather Cheers Bar.  For the uninformed Major Derlin was played by John "Cliff Claven" Ratzenberger of "Cheers" fame...  Though I don't know anyone who didn't know that in this hobby.

The figure is a huge improvement over the similar General Rieekan figure...  But could Derlin be better?

Well just make sure you read the full review to find out, but suffice it to say that once again articulation is the figure's downfall.  Hasbro really needs to set a higher standard and run with it as opposed to making some figures just a weaker effort overall.  WIth Derlin being great army building fodder for the ambitious enough to do headswaps, some knee joints would've made my opinion of him much more favorable.  As it stands now, he's an average and somewhat ho-hum figure though.

Check it out to see what  the positives and negatives are though...  It meant the difference between me buying one or two of these compared to 12 or 20 of them.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Major Bren Derlin
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 09:35 AM »
As always, excellent and spot on review.  The articulation, while a tad underwhelming, really doesn't bother me. My two biggest gripes are, the blaster, for some reason it really bugs me, and the chin strap on the head sculpt. Don't know why, but it's aesthetically off to me. Otherwise, he's one of my favorites of the year so far.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: New JD Review: Major Bren Derlin
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 01:43 AM »
I've liked him too for the most part, but the knees do bother me.  Hasbro needs to increase the bar here at this point.  1983 is gone...  2006, figures should have knee joints.  Ankles I can forgive, knees I cannot at this stage.

If 3 Cantina figures can come out in 2004/05 with knees, then any military figure can have them.  Really any figure can have knee joints unless they're obstructed.  If it's harped on enough, Hasbro listens and may act. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77