Author Topic: The Digital Rebel XT, Digital SLR's, & a question about Compact Flash Cards...  (Read 4103 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Josh, did you ever resolve the dust issues you were concerned about and if so, how?

Can you remind me which issues they were?   
Got Clones?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Basic digital camera issue with a D-SLR - dust accumulating on the lense/mirror inside the camera.  I think one company, Pentax perhaps, had included a vibration system to clear the dust.  That's about all there was to it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ahhhh.  You know, I think I read about that and how I got over my fear was by going down to the local Kits cameras.  I don't purchase equipment there, but they do know a lot about cameras, so I try to buy my accessories, film and prints from them.

They said that if the CCD gets dusty (which could happen if you change lenses in a dirty enviornment, or don't keep your lenses protected)...they do have ways to clean it, and it is expensive.

I pretty much leave my lens on there all the time now anyway.  I bought the Canon 17-85 Image Stabilzer lens, which does pretty much all the types of shots I want to do.  I barely use my long lens anymore, and I'm going to sell the short one I had.
Got Clones?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Yeah, that was it, the CCD getting dusty.  A universally suitable lens would eliminate the problem.  It remains a concern for me because I often need to switch to a pure macro lens for work, but can use something more flexible most of the time.  And I'm almost always in a dusty environment to change the lens, so it is an issue still for me. 

But you did answer the question, thanks.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Rob,

Hello, I just saw this thread - thus the delay. 

I purchased my Canon Digital Rebel XT (black) almost a year ago and based on my experience you have made a good call on your choice on a camera body.   I too have the Ultra II flash card - primarily for rapid shots similar to what Josh detailed in his post.

Here are some excellent reference sites for you to spend hours away from JediFefender (joke). 

350D Camera Forum

350D Lens Forum

Online photography guide

Also, here is a slideshow of some of the shots that I took with the 350D. 

After much research, I chose the Sigma 70-300 APO DG as a supplemental lens to the 18-55 kit lens.  Performance and price point were factors in my decision and for $175-$200 you can't beat this lens.  Try sigma4less.com.

DBK
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 04:50 PM by DaBigKahuna »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
After much research, I chose the Sigma 70-300

I've got a Tamron 70-300 that I don't use very often, but it is about as close as I get to telephoto.

Also, here is a slideshow of some of the shots that I took with the 350D.

Your monkey pictures are excellent.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Thanks for the compliment Josh.  The 17-85 IS is highly touted and was a lens I was seriously considering.  Too pricey for me at the time and I really wanted the extra length. 

All my shots accept the first two were using that telephoto.  Earth Wind and Fire was at night about 75-100 yards away.

Too ad to what Brent mentioned about dust.  I did get dust in my camera and freaked out and tried cleaning the inside with a tissue  :o.  It made an absolute mess inside - tissue particles stuck to the square foam area by the mirror.

Canon was very good about it and I sent the camera in and had it back in a week cleaned (CMOS) as well.

DBK

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tips DBK, I'll start there later in the year when I start shopping lenses.

Josh, have you ever had any problems with your Tamron lens?  The (film) Rebel that I used through college had a Tamron 28:80 on it and it was decent, but never spectacular, and then one day stopped working.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Canon was very good about it and I sent the camera in and had it back in a week cleaned (CMOS) as well.

DBK

How much was it to do the cleaning?

Josh, have you ever had any problems with your Tamron lens

Twice, it wasn't recognized by my XT and I have to reboot, but other than that...no, it works great.  I primarily used it on my Elan IIE film camera, and don't use it much with the XT anyway.

Got Clones?

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
JoshEEE,

FREE!!!

They even replaced that foam square by the mirror, as my local photo store had to special order it and they were going to charge me to clean everything out.

I wrote a professional letter and I just paid for shipping to the CA repair center - Canon covered the costs to ship the camera back to me.

DBK

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I just thought I'd share this with the group... Canon has some rebate offers going on now through sometime in July.

Here's the PDF...

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/Promotions/CIWC_040106_ClaimForm.pdf

I'm going into Best Buy today with my receipt to ask them to return the items on it and let me repurchase them so I'll be within the valid dates - the Rebel XT is getting back $100.00