Author Topic: SAGA Snowtrooper  (Read 5647 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
SAGA Snowtrooper
« on: May 10, 2003, 03:19 AM »
Sorry if this figure has been mentioned before, I'm still kind of new to this forum.

Anyway, what are your opinions on it based on the pics?  Do you think it is much of an improvement over the POTF2 version?

I do like this figure and am looking forward to it.  While I can't recall all the details from the pics I saw a while back, I do remember that he is in a non-action pose (good Hasbro), has a working holster, and comes with an E-web cannon.  His sculpt also looks very nice.  

The POTF2 version was already a good figure in my opinion, and it's hard sometimes to improve drastically over a pretty good figure (kind of like the Blastshield Luke is a pretty good figure and I don't think it is very far behind later Tatooine Lukes), so I have to say that I am very satisfied with the pics I saw of it earlier.  Hopefully he will have a little extra articulation too.

What do you all think of this fella?  How many do you want?  Count me in for 8-10 of them if I can find that many.

:P

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: SAGA Snowtrooper
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 08:23 AM »
Well Chewie, you will find out quickly that I'm known as Mr. C-10 around here (because I love C-10 MOMC figures), but I also love army building.  I have about 15 of the POTF2 Snowtroopers and I love their sculpts.  I think they're just about perfect in every way.  The only thing I would have done differently was to make their helmet/hood out of flexible rubber, something looked more flowing and natural.

With the new Snowtrooper (see picture below) it looks like Hasbro has made my wish come true.  The helmet/mask DOES look more realistic this time, but he looks to be in a more action-type pose versus the POTF2 version (which just stands straight up at attention).

Nonetheless, I will be buying SEVERAL of these badboys when they come out, or should I say if they EVER come out in the Chicagoland area.
dustrho

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 10:19 AM »
I think it is a nice improvement over the current POTF2 Snowtrooper. I have about a dozen of them in my collection plus two of the Deluxe Snowtroopers. When this versionof the Snowtrooper is released I will be buying a handful to add to my Hoth Display.
I like the Snowtrooper.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 11:39 AM »
I think it looks fine. It's not much different than the POTF2 version.  So, I doubt I'll buy this.  Then again I may see it and say "What the heck I'll get it."  

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 12:05 PM »
I like it, but then it must be a snow thing ;)

I'll buy as many as I can get my hands on.  Probably go screaming off to the McFarlane board and trade variants for snowtroopers if I can.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 06:09 PM »
I am nt getting any of these, not even with my diorama  :-\

Rebel only :p

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 06:10 PM »
I am nt getting any of these, not even with my diorama.

WHY wouldn't you be getting any of these?  I'm confused.   ???
dustrho

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 06:13 PM »
maybe I didn't post the real reason, (kinda tired :p )

anyhow, there isn't anything nice big to send them with (and my diorama is too small for Imp's too ;)

call me crazy, but there are always money costs too ;)

especialy for people from Europe..  ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 09:35 PM »
As of now, I'm ranking him as "just ok".  he's unique, and neutral, and a working holster is fine and dandy.

The fact that he APPEARS to not be real poseable is annoying though.  Hasbro had no real NEED to put in the tri-pod cannon, and personally I already have 4 of the things so I could've done without it all together.

I'd rather seen a cloth hood and skirt piece put on, and the articulation on this figure is kinda insulting for an "Army builder".

The main problem I see is, while they improved in sculpt they chose not to improve in articulation much at all, or so it appears.  I'll buy some, and it's parts to make customs of GOOD poseable snowies, but it's nowhere near what Hasbro's ABLE to do.

Even if the arms were poseable to hold a blaster w/2 hands and neutrally at his side, it would've been a lot better.  

Hasbro appears to not have chosen that route though, and on a figure that desparately needed some better poseability I believe.

So, in the end...  Is it great?  No.  Is it bad?  Nah, just not as good as it could be.  Adds some diversity, but there's still great ammounts of room for improvement here, especially for an army builder.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 12:56 AM »
His wrists and elbows might have articulation though Jesse (but I wouldn't bet on it), so it might be better than some of us are anticipating.  Knee articulation like the Fleet Trooper would have been nice.

I think that based on the pics this is a great looking figure.  No complaints here, especially if his wrists/elbows are indeed articulated.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 02:00 AM »
Wrists won't do the figure any good without bicep articulation though...  They'd just swivel to point the gun up side down or right side up.

For knees, I think the RFT's legs are overrated...  Overuse of that articulation can kill, that's why 21st Century dumped it for more numerous points that aren't as noticeable.  It worked for the RFT because the pants are baggy, but I'd honestly still take the old hinge joint over that 45 degree cut...

The hinges on XD figures are built into the leg, and on baggy pants that looks great.  No pin like on the Hasbro figures, so it's much more hidden.

Like I said though, it's just "nice"...  Hasbro can do better though.  Much better for army builders I believe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2003, 09:31 PM »
I'm still sold on the Snowtrooper, I think it looks nice.

Jesse, I do agree with your assessment on the swivel knees, but I think it could have worked on the Snowtrooper too.  

Seeing that your signature here (and at Rebelscum for a long time) rips on the Fleet Trooper, how many do you have?  Also, do you think Hasbro is going to revisit that figure and make the improvements that you desire, such as a working holster and removable helmet?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2003, 10:09 PM »
I doubt they revisit it anytime soon...  Maybe though...  Maybe a Yavin guard version or something different.  With army builders it's really up in the air...  But, Hasbro's slow on army builders somewhat too, so I'm not gonna hold my breath for an update anytime soon since he just got one...

Kinda like the bikerscout, and now the Snowtrooper...  I'm wanting updates, but not expecting them soon.

I have a couple of the POTJ one, and one of the black haired guy loose...  One of my POTJ ones is cracked apart in my parts bin, but with Antilles on the way I may wait to see what parts he offers up.  His shirt and helmet would be identical to the RFT's in sculpt...

I have a couple extra black haired RFT's for trading as well, and a couple POTJ on the card I got when I ordered that case...  Just haven't traded them yet.

The Red haired RFT eludes me still though...  As does the dark haired Saga Impy officer.

I'm taking the one loose POTJ officer down from his display, as he was there for display reasons only so with the new head variants there in his place I won't need to waste the space with him there...  He'll act as backup fodder if I ruin one of the pieces on the cracked apart one I have.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2003, 01:43 AM »
Man, you really are disappointed in that figure! :o

I agree with you though, if they had made the improvements that you want it would be practically flawless.  Still though, I love this figure the way it already is and have about 25 of them including head variants.  They look really good in dioramas.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 07:28 AM »
It's a good looking figure...the improvements in the look of all the figures is even more dramatic from E1 to Saga...improved articulation would be a definite benefit...that's where the CT Stormie is sorely lacking in the wrist area!!  Other than that CT Stormie is probably the best army builder ever!