Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143462 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Man, I hope Yarna wins. I have been wanting her and petitioning for her for so long now. I hope she does it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2006, 04:18 AM »
Is that Corran Horn as a Rogue Squadron member or as Corsec or as SNORE a Jedi...

I guess I am very out of touch with the Star Wars collecting community.  Only 2 of the 25 would have even made my top 50.

And to me Darth VADER is the only Darth and HAN Solo is the only Solo..I don't even know who that cast of Breakfast Cereal Characters are...

Thats okay, I have Tuskie, so the world is right.

I'm just not sure how my vote for "Third Rebel Fleet trooper from the left in the Tantive IV who is kneeling on his left knee, but would come fully articulated with multiple heads sculpts and interchangable hands" didn't get into the top 25, I was pretty sure everybody was gonna suggest that one...

I did.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2006, 11:55 AM »
1. Anakin Solo
2. Bastila Shan
3. Clone Commander (Galactic Marine pictured)
4. Commander Neyo
5. Corran Horn
6. Darth Malak
7. Darth Maul (Why?!?)
8. Darth Nihilus
9. Darth Revan
10. Exar Kun
11. Hermi Odle
12. HK-47
13. Jacen Solo
14. Jaina Solo
15. Kir Kanos
16. Kyle Katarn (Jedi)
17. Luke Skywalker (ROTJ)
18. Mara Jade Skywalker
19. Nom Anor
20. Padme Amidala (snowsuit)
21. Padme Amidala (AOTC black dress)
22. Padme Amidala (ROTS funeral)
23. Quinlan Vos (who woulda thunk it?)
24. Willrow Hood (Ice Cream Maker Man)
25. Yarna D'al Gargan (6-breasted dancer)

That list is garbage. >:(

(NOT because there's so much EU--I'm glad to see EU making a good showing in this poll. Let's face it, that's the only way most of these have any chance of ever being made, so I wish the movie purists would lighten up and be happy with their 60+ figures per year.)

But because the EU choices suck ass. This seriously seems fishy to me. Anakin Solo above Mara Jade? Quinlan Vos at 23? Come on.

The two ROTS clones will be made eventually, as will the Padmes most likely. Kir Kanos would be cool, but the Royal Guards I already have are close enough for me. Which leaves Exar Kun, Willrow, Quinlan, Corran, and Kyle, in that order.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 12:25 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2006, 12:04 PM »
I'm a little surprised at some of the choices on the list as well, and there really is a lot of EU characters.  There's quite a few I'd like to see (SA Luke Jedi, Hermi Odle, Yarna, and the clones), but I think most of those (maybe outside of Yarna) have a pretty good chance of getting made anyways.  I really hope that Willrow Hood has a chance of winning, and he'll be getting my vote.  He's OT, and the ongoing plight of Scott alone makes him worth for me.  Definitely some interesting choices on this list though, if it turns out to be true.  It does look that they aren't listed in any particular order, aside from alphabetical, at this point though.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2006, 12:18 PM »
This seriously seems fishy to me. Anakin Solo above Mara Jade? Quinlan Vos at 23? Come on.

Um, the list is in alphabetical order... those numbers are NOT how they stand at the moment.  You will notice in the magazine that there is no order associated with the picks so far...

Thanks to JD Forum Member Zodach for the scans... 

After writing this up for the front page, I had to stop and ask:
- four EU Sith Lords in the top 25?
- NO figure from ANH?
- only one figure from ESB?
- only three figures from RotJ?  And one of those 3 was a Luke?

>:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2006, 12:24 PM »
Excellent point, Brian and Jeff. D'oh!

It makes a little more sense now.

And as I said in the ICMG thread, I really think the reason the OT did so "poorly" in the poll is because after 29 years, most of the good figures from it have already been made. Think about it--besides "Imperial Flunkey #36" or "Ass-forehead Alien #9", what's left to make? I'm not saying I don't want to see those types of figures, because I do. But when it comes down to it, I'd rather have important PT and EU characters that have never been made over something that saw 2 seconds of screentime in the OT. Yes, I'm an OT fan too, but I have a different perspective since I've "only" been a fan for about 11 years instead of 20+.

And hang on ... there's 1 figure from TPM, 1 from AOTC, and 3 from ROTS. So if you consider solely the movie figures, the PT and OT are pretty evenly matched here.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 12:32 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2006, 12:26 PM »
ICMG all the way baby
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2006, 12:30 PM »
I don't really understand why the complaining about so many few OT figures on the list... maybe it's because we've gotten hundreds of OT figures already?  Some EU stuff is nice to see too.

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2006, 12:50 PM »
Because I've got 30+ shelves and four display tables in my Star Wars room set up with figures and scenes from Star Wars movies; I've got 1 shelf set up for the cartoon figures; and I've got half a shelf where I dump the EU figures Hasbro has made.

I can take an ICMG and display him in my Bespin Cloud City set-up.  I can take Yarna or Hermi and put them in my Jabba's Palace set-up.  Plus, I know who they are.  If I get stuck with Darth Revan, he'll just end up with the other EU rejects like PotJ "Snowjob" Obi-Wan or "Crab-Armor" Maul.

Now, if they made a whole line of KOTOR figures, I wouldn't have a problem with that.  I just think it's kind of dumb to get 1 KOTOR figure and then not the rest - you either make a line of KOTOR figures or you don't.  I don't like the idea of getting them 1 at a time from polls like this.  Same goes for the Solo kids.  I have NO interest in getting "just" Anakin without Jacen and Jaina.  I guess my point is, having a single EU figure from a source is kind of silly to me.  I'd much rather have a whole wave of Young Jedi from NJO than just get one of them in this poll.

Some of those EU figures would be OK since you could display them with figures we already have.  For example:
- Quinlin can be added to an Ep1 Mos Espa scene or something
- Kyle Katarn can go with the other Rebel Kyle and Darktrooper
- a Talon Karrde would have been cool to go with the existing HTTE figures we have - Mara and Thrawn

So, the reason this guy is grousing about the EU figures on the poll is that, for the majority of them, it seems silly to get just one of them when we should be getting a whole line/wave of them.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline AdamSolo

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Ugh, why is Anakin going to be based off of the young version? He had no charactor back then, it wasn't until NJO that he started to really take off... I guess I'll be voting for either Jaina or Mara.   :-\

Thanks for the news JD!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 02:30 PM by AdamSolo »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Jeff, you can also mix in figures in assorted dioramas though, there's nothing wrong with maybe throwing Karrde into an Outlander Club diorama or something.  Or Mara Jade.  She looks pretty good in my Outlander Club diorama.  Also on the Snowbiwan, I've used several of them as Hoth Rebels.  Mixing these into the regular movie line has never posed a problem for me. 

If anything it adds in more realism to me, - what was just around the corner on Coruscant that you didn't see in the film?  Or who was in that spectator crowd at the Boonta Eve Podrace that you didn't see?  See what I mean?  It's just fun to get a few surprise figures once in a while.  Lots of those I put in a podrace crowd in a diorama.  Works for me even though they might not necessarily be characters you see on screen.  And that's probably the customizer in me talking.

I understand though that to some people that might be dumb, but to me Star Wars is about imagination and your own interpretation.  So if you don't want an EU figure made, then that's fine.  Are those same people complaining then that Scorch was made?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:30 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2006, 03:34 PM »
I'd much rather have a BARC Trooper or Galactic Marine than Scorch, to me that is a waste of a figure slot that could have went to an actual canon figure

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2006, 03:40 PM »
I'd like to have a Galactic Marine or Kashyyyk Trooper too, but I don't see anything wrong with Scorch being made.  It's a damn popular figure.  If you see any you don't want, please let me know.   ;)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Quinlan Vos get's my vote. He's become my favorite SW charachter easily. Past Kyp Durron, past Anakin Skywalker (pre-deep fryer accident), and past any Clone Trooper.

It's cool that Scott's ICGM made the list, and I'm proud to see that, but I don't see a need for a figure of him, versus such an estableshed charachter like Quinlan Vos.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Kevin do you have a Quinlan Vos custom yet?  I might be making another one, if so then you'll be first on my list if you want this one -