Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143737 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2006, 10:22 PM »
I think if you vote more than once from your PC it cancels all votes from that IP adress- there's a warning like that at the top. So I voted on 20 different PC's today ;D( for ICMG) ;D.

Offline IndianaVader

• Youngling
  • Senior Awsome
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2006, 03:30 AM »
Thank goodness for IP address reset on my laptop. ;D

I already said this on 'Scum, but I might as well make my statement here as well.

I made the SMART decision: Bastila Shan.

Here is my reasoning, for those EU haters out there:

All SAGA figures- I can automatically exclude these as I'm sure if Hasbro continues the frenzy they're on they will make all figures listed in the 25 at one time or another. We may never get a chance for EU again, so this automatically sways me to vote for the interesting choices.

NJO- I will be honest in saying I never gave this a chance, but as far as an action figure goes, they just don't look visually appealing.

Kir Kanos- Easily customizable. I'll pass.

Quinlan Vos- Same thing. Easily customizable, and really a static character in the Star Wars universe. I never really understood his appeal and usually found myself more interested in his oh so attractive apprentice. 

Exar Kun- It'd be cool to see him in figure form, and I wouldn't be disappointed if I saw him made. I'd pick him up.

Kyle Katarn- Although Kyle Katarn almost got my vote just because I LOVE the Jedi Knight game series, I had to vote KOTOR. We may never get another chance. But I will definately pick up a Kyle if he wins.

Willrow Hood- As others have said, he was good entertainment, but honestly a joke. No one will buy him. I would, but not nearly enough people would to keep him off the pegs.

So then it comes down to KOTOR. Oh, how I've been waiting for this opportunity. I hope Hasbro realizes the popularity in a line of KOTOR figures. 1/5 of the choices are KOTOR. So I have to lean towards the coolest looking to really give KOTOR a good first impression. For me personally, that's either Malak or Bastila. And let's be honest here-- with a form fitting outfit, British accent, double-bladed yellow lightsaber, and the visage of Kate Beckinsale herself-- how can you go wrong?

So that's my vote. If you don't vote KOTOR, then you obviously haven't played the game. For those who haven't, I strongly suggest you play for 1 hour and tell me you're not hooked.

I say, let's vote BASTILA for 2006!

I see at least 4 excellent reasons to vote for Bastila just from that picture. ;)

_Max
"So... could you blow up the world?"
"Egad, I hope not!  That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2006, 08:03 AM »
1. Anakin Solo
2. Bastila Shan
3. Clone Commander (Galactic Marine pictured)
4. Commander Neyo
5. Corran Horn
6. Darth Malak
7. Darth Maul
8. Darth Nihilus
9. Darth Revan
10. Exar Kun
11. Hermi Odle
12. HK-47
13. Jacen Solo
14. Jaina Solo
15. Kir Kanos
16. Kyle Katarn (Jedi)
17. Luke Skywalker (ROTJ)
18. Mara Jade Skywalker
19. Nom Anor
20. Padme Amidala (snowsuit)
21. Padme Amidala (AOTC black dress)
22. Padme Amidala (ROTS funeral)
23. Quinlan Vos
24. Willrow Hood (Ice Cream Maker Man)
25. Yarna D'al Gargan (6-breasted dancer)

Man, I think this list is going to make me puke.  There's still a bunch of actual movie-related figures that I'd much prefer seeing before all this EU stuff eventually hits the pegs.  Definitely a number of Cantina and Jabba's Palace aliens I'd prefer over anything else at this point (and ICMG, of course).  Can't believe the ever-popular Tonnika Sisters didn't even make the cut!  Plenty of Padme and other PT characters I'd go for after that.  Lastly, I'd take some EU.  In fact, I think that Hasbro should just run a seperate EU subline, like they did back around '98, and just put out a handful of the more popular aforementioned EU figures in that, rather than making them in place of some of the actual Saga characters that have yet to be incarnated in plastic still.

That said, I voted for Yarna (sorry Scott).  Hermi would be my second choice, though I'm quite certain Hasbro will eventually make him, so he probably doesn't need votes.  ICMG third (which I'll drop a vote or two for later).  After that, I'd like the Padme figures, and I guess Quinlan (who's actually in one of the movies now).  But I could easily live without all that EU stuff at this point.  Folks interested in all of those should just start collecting the WOTC miniatures line, as most of them are/will be represented in that...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 08:07 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2006, 08:36 AM »
Except for #3 the Galactic Marine, I'd take the Tonnika Sisters, Hermi Odle, and a SA Kashyyyk BARC trooper over every single entry on this list, especially the EU entries.  And for the record, none of Yarna's 6 breasts excite me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 08:37 AM by Ithorian Clergy »
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2006, 01:42 PM »
When I saw the final list I felt very, very old and very out of it.  Not only did I not know who half the charcters are, I really don't care. I don't follow EU or games or anything non-movie. (Love Clone Wars though...)

This list just shows how diverse the fan base is, and Hasbro will have a very hard time making everyone happy.

My advice is stick to the films, once the characters are all represented in plastic, then go to other sources.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2006, 01:55 PM »

My advice is stick to the films, once the characters are all represented in plastic, then go to other sources.

This was my setiment when this rigged poll started.  No disrespect for EU fans.   I have no interest in EU and dont consider any of it cannon. 

Now if they had a seperate poll for EU to create one fig I can buy into that. 

Or if they would have a small subline like Hasbro did with SOTE, Clone Wars and EU, I would welcome that.  To make just one fig from a game or book just seems out of place in the scheme of things.  And yeah Mike we are getting old.  Seems to be more Prequel and EU fans nowadays then fans of the OT. 

SilverZ

« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2006, 04:29 PM »
I think that the KOTOR results do make it clear that a game subline makes some sense. But, take a look at other game related lines, like the McFarlane Metal Gear or Bandai Final Fantasy figures. Those move slowly at major B&Ms, and go quickly at game retailers -- but game retailers order a fraction of the amount of product, and the lines are meant to have a shelf life similar to the game they're licensed from.

I think any character that wins the poll is going to be a retail dud. The only ones that make sense on that list don't need to be part of the poll. So why bother with a poll if all you can really do with the results is make something destined to bite it when it comes time to sell it?

I'd actually be more impressed with Hasbro if they did this sort of thing once a year and didn't elect a winner from it. I'd be happy to know that the poll illustrated where thier collector marketing was heading. And it seems obvious that we want clones, a varied EU subline, and super articulated core characters.

There's a ******* newsflash.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2006, 05:32 PM »
I think that the KOTOR results do make it clear that a game subline makes some sense. But, take a look at other game related lines, like the McFarlane Metal Gear or Bandai Final Fantasy figures. Those move slowly at major B&Ms, and go quickly at game retailers -- but game retailers order a fraction of the amount of product, and the lines are meant to have a shelf life similar to the game they're licensed from.

I think any character that wins the poll is going to be a retail dud. The only ones that make sense on that list don't need to be part of the poll. So why bother with a poll if all you can really do with the results is make something destined to bite it when it comes time to sell it?

I'd actually be more impressed with Hasbro if they did this sort of thing once a year and didn't elect a winner from it. I'd be happy to know that the poll illustrated where thier collector marketing was heading. And it seems obvious that we want clones, a varied EU subline, and super articulated core characters.

There's a ******* newsflash.

Yep, questions/requests on those figs typically dodged at toy conventions by Hasbro the last 3 years ::)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2006, 11:40 PM »
I voted for Yarna, and I hope you all do the same.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2006, 12:26 AM »
Yarna's my pick as well.

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2006, 12:32 AM »
Youse guys do realize that voting 15 times for the same character is cheating, right?

I mean, I can see picking your top 2-3 characters and voting once each, but voting over and over for the same character just isn't cool. Not to mention it gives Hasbro a ready-made reason to throw out the results.

The Eagle Scout in me is honestly disappointed in you collectively ... I thought the JD crowd was classier than that. :-\

Anyway, I will be voting for either ICMG or Exar Kun.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 12:48 AM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2006, 12:41 AM »
Youse guys do realize that voting 15 times for the same character is cheating, right?

No, it's OK as long as it's for ICGM.  :P

I just send people the link to the poll, who aren't as rabid fans as I am, explain my cause and hope they vote Vos. 'Cause a vote for ICGM means the terrorists win.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2006, 01:11 AM »

Is it cheating or is it leveling the playing field?  Do you really think that the Quinlan Vos fans of the world aren't doing the same thing? 

Besides, read the header at the top of the vote thank you page, multiple votes are discarded or whatever it says.  Don't take this too seriously, it's fixed at the source anyway.

No, it's OK as long as it's for ICGM. :P

I just send people the link to the poll, who aren't as rabid fans as I am, explain my cause and hope they vote Vos. 'Cause a vote for ICGM means the terrorists win.

Kevin

::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 01:15 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2006, 01:33 AM »
Do you really think that the Quinlan Vos fans of the world aren't doing the same thing?

True enough. However, there is such a thing as taking the high road.

Is it cheating or is it leveling the playing field?

Well, when viewed in that light, it's both.

Besides, read the header at the top of the vote thank you page, multiple votes are discarded or whatever it says.

Not if you vote from multiple computers....

Don't take this too seriously, it's fixed at the source anyway.

Yeah, I would feel much better about the whole thing if you had to enter an email addy to vote. The fact that you don't does lead me to, let's say, question the poll's veracity. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 01:37 AM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2006, 05:38 AM »
The thing is, comparing EU from Star Wars with other action figure lines is tough...  It's still STar Wars, ultimately.  The Metal Gear figures sold like ****, but they don't have a film line supporting them that has 10+ years of popularity either...

I think that EU has legs...  I think it should have LIMITED legs though.  SHort of the TV shows (The old Clone Wars toon included, as I think it is still popular and should be getting figures and ships routinely in the line), I think small "2 or 3" figure spurts of EU should be teh way to mix EU in there... 

KOTOR gets 3 in a wave...  Jedi Knight gets Kyle, Jan, and Jerec in a wave maybe...  And not back-to-back...  Just like a couple times a year.  If the line's supposedly gonna go on and on and on like Hasbro says, then they could make people happy by doing EU that way and not tread on the film's wealth of choices (new and resculpt) left to be done.

Hell, above anything on that list or off it I'd like the 3 Rebel Soldier types done super articulated.  If they were made in abundance tomorrow, I'd be happy if the line collapsed in on itself tomorrow.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77