Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143453 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #480 on: July 13, 2006, 11:42 PM »
Morbug, I think it goes without saying that the Animated stuff sucks.   ;D

:)

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 14, 2006, 09:33 AM »
I wasn't collecting during the Clone Wars line. Had other priorities at the time, but I really liked where Hasbro was going with some of these figures for the most part other than the animated figures.

Anakin ~ was a turd
ARC Trooper ~ good idea poorly executed
Yoda ~ decent figure could of been better
Obi Wan ~ was pop a.k.a. piece of poop
Durge ~ great details, cool design too steroid induced though for me
Asajj ~ awesome details & design, but the head doesn't look right
Mace ~ love this one! leave the arm guards off and IMHO this is a great Mace
Kit ~ terrific sculpt, love the muscle detail & the primal vibe I get from it
Clone ~ SA and I just love this era of clone helmets wish I had more of them
Saesee ~ another great sculpt, don't care for the armor pieces though

Even the figures I don't care for had detail to the sculpts. I really think this line was the beginning of the high detail sculpting.

I think the EU items success will depend on 2 things, detail of sculpts and articulation. If the figures look good and have articulation for playability, they will sell.

The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #482 on: July 14, 2006, 11:42 AM »
I actually enjoyed Shadows of the Empire. I wanted more of them. I hope that Hasbro revisits the line and gives us the remaining characters such as Guri, Leebo, and maybe even Spero  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 14, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I think that the 'pro- EU in future assortements is going to do well claimers' are proving my point over and over here. In their claims I hear reduntantly EG-' Wave 1 CW was overproduced' ::) just reinforces what I said about Hasbro and retail getting future EU lines to survive or fail(pegwarm). It's still all about distribution quantity and case assortment. Which guarantees that we CANNOT know how well future lines will do.

From Nicklab--
"However, I will offer that since I am in one of the largest population centers in the country, that what I've seen at retail is probably closer to the national statistical average.  It's all about the sample size.  The fact is that there are more retail outlets and more consumers involved in Star Wars in the NY metropolitan area.  Statistical studies will show you that the more data you have to compare, the closer you are to the statistical mean."

--Thanks for offering that...wow, my numbers then must NOT be reflecting anything than... being that during the CW time of release I collected in 1 county of over a million folks then another county of over 8 million  :P. "statistical studies"?? I won't claim to know that my 'sampling areas' have the largest national population PERCENTAGE of collectors either... I won't be naive like that.   Statistical Studies-Really?...I didn't have time to look at those.. I didn't realize I could waste my day looking for this...so there a statistical study of how well the CW line did on the internet somewhere for me to view? I Guess my areas' numbers weren't high enough to formulate an OPINION on this ::)

Basically I think that argument is weak...all your revealing is what you think you know about the NY metro area and not the rest of the US. Did you do a poll in your area to find out how many SW fans you have...then compared that with the nation? How many responed to it? It's factual or debateable? EX: the US population isn't built from 1 large metro area...that's a FACT and I'm sure you knew this which is why I wonder about your logic and why you placed it. Oh well..

Chewie- I saw alot in your posts about IF's. IF hasbro could do this IF hasbro does that..ect. gereally how an EU line would be successful IF. Let's be realistic....Hasbro's already said they won't SAC a whole line for us in their Qand A by giving us BS reasons like resources lacking ect. An EU line will be done like all other lines in the past...Hasbro will SAC some things like now and dissappoint us with others..why? It's not about their resources rather they can milk more money out of us this way by getting us to purchase ******** versions now then later releasing ultimate SAC version. Let's not reach and claim an EU line will succeed IF....We're fans and we know our toy manufacturers' ways..c'mon Chewie! ;)

As for  a future EU line..I hope it is shipped in low quantities so it can 'succeed'(not pegwarm)

The DS

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 14, 2006, 02:53 PM »

Brent,

To add to that, EU was intended primarily for retail, unfortunately the figures shipped in the same assortment cases as several notorious pegwarmers - notably Rancor Keeper - and also had the same SKU attached to previous pegwarming asst's. This caused retail to shun the assortments with the EU figures and ordered in very low amounts. That in turn resulted in a large number of the EU assortments to go to non-retail outlets such as the Fan Club. This is primarily the same reason why the Death Star Trooper and Ree-Yees only appeared at retail in the States for a very short time before getting pushed to the Fan Club.

I remember it like it was yesterday actually, all excited to fine the Dark Empire figures, then weeks went by and I couldn't find any other EU figures. I had to order from the Fan Club where they sold the figures in sets of 2 at something like $17/$18. It wasn't until the massive clearances of 2000 at TRU and KB that I saw any other EU figures at retail and that was Thrawn and Imperial Sentinel which had shipped as part of a case with Ugnaughts and 8D8.

As far as the Fan Choice vote goes. Though I've never played KOTOR, I'm looking forward to Darth Revan, he/she/it looks to have a cool and unique armor design which I'm hoping Hasbro can translate well to plastic.

Cheers!

Thanks Jason.  I didn't know they were originally in retail cases, or planned to be.  Man, it sucks so bad up here.  I had a hard time justifying buying all the figures from the Fan Club because of those prices - $17 per figure :o  On top of that the Canadian dollar sucked (it sucks less now) and shipping was pretty high, so I only bought four EU figs at the time. 

I'm forever baffled as to why they don't just release all of the 25 figures.  The common movie figures will be released (Luke/Maul) in time, but just release a couple of waves of EU and a wave of OT with Yarna, Hermi, ICMG and whomever else was in there.  Then do a KOTOR wave, a Solo wave, a Darth wave or whatever else it takes. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 16, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Like that Mara,that Sith & Vos are getting made,not intrested in pre-TPM era stuff,but the sith looks cool.Sort of like a Mandalorian sith.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #486 on: July 16, 2006, 04:53 PM »
Trying to convince myself that people know what they are talking about, I decided to go and try and buy KOTOR.  Then I find out it is only for XBox.  WTF!  So, they are making Revan for people who played a game on a system that not everyone even has?!?  Unbelievable

Offline Resurrection Bob

• Youngling
  • All new likeness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 16, 2006, 05:13 PM »
It was also released for PC, I would look at Gamestop or EB or something to see if they still have a copy lying around.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #488 on: July 16, 2006, 05:28 PM »
Trying to convince myself that people know what they are talking about, I decided to go and try and buy KOTOR.  Then I find out it is only for XBox.  WTF!  So, they are making Revan for people who played a game on a system that not everyone even has?!?  Unbelievable

I rarely see them anymore but Target and Best Buy has it for 20.  They have KOTOR for 30, I think.  I just got Battlefront 2 for 20 at Target.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #489 on: July 16, 2006, 05:43 PM »
I realize I could play the PC version, but I'm not really set up to do that on the home PC, and...since I don't have an XBox, looks like I'll not be playing KOTOR

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 16, 2006, 06:23 PM »
ASame happened to me when Scorch came out,I wanted to play RC,I have a PS2. :-\
I then found the books! :)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 16, 2006, 06:59 PM »

Don't worry, it's a long, long game. I doubt you'd have the time to complete it and find out all about Revan.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 16, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Further clarification on the EU wave from 1998:

As previously mentioned, the Expanded Universe assortment of 9 figures was included in the Collection 2 assortment.  At the time, Kenner/Hasbro was still obsessed with their 3 Collection case shipping method, meaning that even though a large variety of figures was at retail at once, there was also an equally large (if not larger) number of pegwarming figures.  And, as they've always done, Hasbro split up the figures into waves, saving the army builders that everyone would have bought multiples of until the last wave.

The first wave was released in September of 1998 and included Luke, Thrawn, and the Sentinel, along with Ugnaughts, 8D8, and even more Admiral Ackbars and Rancor Keepers.  From what I saw personally, Wal-Marts never got this particular case assortment, and it was around that time that they started their 2 dollar off sticker sale due to the huge backlog of, well, Rancor Keepers.  TRU was doing this sale at the same time, and not a lot of the first EU wave hit there because of TRUs backlog of Bossk. 

The second wave came out in October, and included Katarn, Mara, Leia, and Kyle, along with Luke, Thrawn, and the Sentinel.  Again, the 2 dollar off sale was taking place at both WM and TRU, and I only personally saw one case of these figures show up at WM around that time.  And, of course, there were more Ugnaughts and 8D8.

The third wave either never showed up at all, showed up at Targets on one occasion, or showed up during TRUs massive clearance sales in dump bins.  It took me longer to find a Dark Trooper than any other figure in my collection, and I only got a Spacetrooper because a friend happened to get both of the two out of the one case his Wisconsin Target got and sent one to me.  By that point, WM had sent all non-Flashback figures to the clearance aisle where not even the 2 dollar off sticker was helping them move the army of Rancor Keepers.

For those of you who weren't around back in 1998 when the sticker sales and glut of Rancor Keepers was going on, retail, believe it or not, told Hasbro ENOUGH with the three SKUs they had been milking since late 1996 and that had clogged their shelves with unwanted product for the last year.  Because of retail's refusal to order any more figures under those SKUs, the final wave of POTF2 that year (DSD, AT-AT Driver, Hoth Leia, and Pote Snitkin) were dumped at the Fan Club and even they were blown out at ridiculous prices at TRU's clearance sales.

I don't think that, at that time, the EU could be held responsible for clogging shelves, as the pre-EU product (particularly the Collection 2 cases of which they were a part) was doing a bang-up job of that on its own without the EU.  The other EU products (the Concept Vehicles, in particular) did stink up the shelves, and other attempts to expand that failed miserably too (the Episode I mini-vehicles that didn't hit retail at normal prices after Jar Jar's Amazing Cannon). 

My opinion is that the EU is all well and good, but they need to watch it and not overdo it, which I'm afraid is what is going to end up happening.  The EU stuff this year has had some memorable tie-ins (the CW cartoon and Republic Commando), but if Hasbro starts throwing out Hoobjibs or Ken Palpatine or the Yuuzhan whatevers and expecting people to just fall in love with it, I think they're in for a rude awakening.  I mean, Vos, as much as people want him in collector's circles, is an unknown entity to the non-EU reading SW fan (other than the brief mention in ROTS), and instead of putting him in a, you know, JEDI outfit, they're seemingly going the mercenary route and including the annoying Devaronian with him.

I could be wrong (and I hope I am) in terms of Vos' costume, but I think Hasbro needs to be conscious of how much of a niche market the EU can be.  Sure, I'll buy the rest of Delta Squad because I love the game, but I have no interest in the Vong or anything that comes out of the post-ROTJ era.  I'm sure some people feel the same, and others will be the opposite.  What it comes down to is that the EU is different things to different people, and it's figures like this that have no presence in the 6 films that will draw a firm line between a completist completist and a film completist.

I still think that, by this time next year, we'll be complaining about seeing so many Yuuzhan Vong things on the shelves.   ???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #493 on: July 16, 2006, 10:21 PM »
ASame happened to me when Scorch came out,I wanted to play RC,I have a PS2. :-\
I then found the books! :)
I've sworn off all books after reading Darth Vader Dark Lord or whatever it was.  I'm just surprised that KOTOR is even more of a niche group than what I thought it was

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 16, 2006, 11:23 PM »
If you like clones enough to read about clones you might change your mind. ;)