Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143459 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #510 on: August 6, 2006, 07:57 PM »
I'll say it for the 10th time probably, but show me someone somewhere on a board anywhere that said they voted for Darth Revan.  I just don't believe that he/she got that many votes.  I get the whole Video Game thing but I also don't think non-collectors would care enough to vote for something that real collectors didn't really support on any boards I saw.  I really don't care that they are saying Revan got #2 because I think the 4 OT characters are pretty much a lock at some point in the next two years, it just seems royally fishy to me

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 6, 2006, 08:34 PM »
Indulge the bitter old purist for a second...  as I said at RS, I can't believe only 4 of the 25 are from the OT.  Just a few years ago, all 25 would have been from the OT.  Does it hurt me that EU figs are produced?  No, not really, but it can be looked at as that many more OT figs that would have been produced instead.  Well, if it keeps the line going, that's fine with me.

That's kind of the way I see it.  We really have gotten so many OT characters at this point that we're really starting to grasp for characters that will be made into figures for the first time.  I think it's also kind of telling that we only had 6 PT characters in the poll (and that's if you include Clone Wars Padme).  I think the line has just gotten so much bigger in the modern era that character selection has become something of an issue.  Just how many first time figures can we get every year?  Especially with lines consisting of 70+ figures a year like this year, or even if the line were to consist of 50 figures?

With that in mind, it seems like the EU is going to be the wave of the future for Star Wars figures.  Because eventually I think we're going to run out of Cantina aliens and Jabba's Palace aliens.

As for the votes for Revan?  I stand by my statement that with KOTOR being one of the hottest games of the past 5 years that there was a big fanbase waiting to be tapped.  As for them having to make a concerted effort to vote for Revan?  I don't think it was a big deal for people to cast their votes.  Actually, ToyFare made it pretty easy to vote.  I think that a lot of the votes for Revan came from people who are more casual collectors and might hang out at board like TNI, Figures.com, ToyFare's forums and even video game boards.  Just because those people aren't hanging out at dedicated SW boards doesn't mean that their votes should count any less.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #512 on: August 6, 2006, 10:13 PM »
I'll say it for the 10th time probably, but show me someone somewhere on a board anywhere that said they voted for Darth Revan. I just don't believe that he/she got that many votes. I get the whole Video Game thing but I also don't think non-collectors would care enough to vote for something that real collectors didn't really support on any boards I saw. I really don't care that they are saying Revan got #2 because I think the 4 OT characters are pretty much a lock at some point in the next two years, it just seems royally fishy to me

I have to admit I did actually vote for Revan. Normally I'd want to see movie figures, mainly OT stuff, before we get EU figures. For me KOTOR seems to be the exception. I'd have loved to have see a subline of KOTOR characters. Personally I'd love for them to finish up KOTOR and finish up the other charcters. I'll be happy buying Revan.
"This is the way."

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #513 on: August 7, 2006, 09:51 AM »
Perhaps I'm miscounting, but it looks like 30% of the total votes were cast for videogame characters... I'm still blown away by that.

That is my single and absolute most biggest gripe about this whole thing.

Don't get me wrong I love video games as much as the next guy and I hit battlefront II hard every few days but video games characters (solely from video games) do nothing for me.  I like to display figures in dioramas or true to the movie displays.  A video game figure would just collect dust in a box somewhere in my basement.

I love Kotor, not so much Kotor2, but not that much.

To me it is just more figures I will not be buying, unless they make good customizing fodder.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2006, 09:58 AM by Gatillo »
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #514 on: April 26, 2008, 11:23 PM »
1. Over the past 2 years, you guys have really been going to town on the characters from the ToyFare 2006 Fan Choice Poll. Over half of the “Top 25” finalists from that poll have been made into figures, with a few more rumored for 2009. Sounds like it’s time for a new poll, don’t you think? ?

** Yes indeed, yes indeed. We have to say that poll was a great way to get the pulse of what resonates with fans, and it has been a great inspiration as we have planned out the line. At our current count, by the end of 2009, we will have released 18 of the 25 choices with another 3-4 likely in the 2010 line. We do think it's time for a new poll (perhaps with a retrospective) and will talk with Toy Fare about the possibilities. Stay tuned!

Made (by 2009)

#1 (1.) Quinlan Vos* (11.4%)
#2 (2.) Darth Revan* (8.1%)
#3 (3.) Yarna D'al Gargan* (6.7%)
#4 (4.) Darth Nihilus* (6.6%)
#5 (6.) Clone Commander* (5.7%)
#6 (8.) Willrow Hood* (5%)
#7 (9.) Hermi Odle (4.3%)
#8 (10.) Mara Jade Skywalker* (4%)
#9 (11.) Commander Neyo (3%)
#10 (12.) Darth Malak (3%)
#11 (15.) Luke Skywalker (2.6%)
#12 (16.) Padme Amidala (Clone Wars) (2.6%)
#13 (17.) Kyle Katarn (2.2%)
#14 (18.) Exar Kun (2%)
#15 (19.) Padme Amidala II (black dinner dress) (2%)
#16 (21.) Kir Kanos* (1.5%)
#17 (22.) Darth Maul (1.4%)

RUMORED:

7. HK-47 (5%)

Not Yet Made:

5. Bastila Shan (6.5%)
13. Padme Amidala (Funeral) (3%)
14. Corran Horn (2.8%)
20. Nom Anor (2%)
23. Jaina Solo (1.3%)
24. Anakin Solo (.8%)
25. Jacen Solo (.8%)

* Figure is being made.

Toy Fair Article

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #515 on: April 27, 2008, 08:44 AM »
I have always loved fan choice polls. This tiem around it seems like Hasbro really listened to the fans, i hope the next one turns out as good.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 27, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Not to sure about the ones that haven't been made, but I'd definitely like to see a new list of possibilities.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 27, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Maybe the winner will end up being a figure Hasbro planned on making anyway again. ;D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #518 on: April 27, 2008, 03:04 PM »
I'm still a tad surprised that the list was soooo PT and EU heavy, I thought for sure the Tonnika Sisters would have made it.  I realize this was put out by Wizard and there a lot of ties to the comics and novels due to that association, it was just surprising.  Glad to see them listening though too...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #519 on: April 27, 2008, 03:55 PM »
I'd bet we see Bastilla, and some of those Solo kids before long off that list.  I welcome any of them really, but Bastilla's my favorite of the not-mades (HK-47 rumor aside).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 29, 2008, 05:37 PM »
"If" they do this again, anyone that votes for more dam Clones, I will hunt them down..and make they watch a star trek marathon or something nasty like that...

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 29, 2008, 07:36 PM »
"If" they do this again, anyone that votes for more dam Clones, I will hunt them down..and make they watch a star trek marathon or something nasty like that...

coming from the guy with a clone for his avatar lol.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #522 on: April 29, 2008, 07:38 PM »
Anyone willing to support Vlix?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 29, 2008, 07:42 PM »
Vlix, hell yeah!  ;)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 29, 2008, 07:42 PM »
Anyone willing to support Vlix?

who is Vlix?
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D: