Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143476 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #525 on: April 29, 2008, 07:51 PM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #526 on: April 29, 2008, 07:55 PM »
My vintage heart says yes, but my modern desires say no.  :'(  I've never much been a fan of the Droids Cartoon actually so I'd probably vote more in favor of something else unfortunately.  You know clones are going to dominate it again somehow though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #527 on: April 29, 2008, 08:06 PM »
who is Vlix?

And that is why Vlix would never win.   :P

Still, I'd bet if you organized something, you could get him in the top ten...  with that said though, I'd agree with JJ.  I'm not much into modernizing the Droids stuff, so I'd probably waste my vote on something else.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #528 on: April 29, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Hey i took a shot, i am thinking he will be my vote though.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 29, 2008, 10:44 PM »
The Vlix is from the Droids TV series 1985-1986.

I never even watched Ewoks or the Droids toons back when I was a kid because I thought everything about it was lame and I still do to this day.  I was busy watching Transformers & G.I. Joe.  I also don't care for any of these figures.  I really don't care for a fat blue guy in my collection....oh wait!  I already have one!  Sorry he's not in his makeup.   :-\

Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 29, 2008, 10:52 PM »
I know who I'm backing...Geezum!

For some reason I just really want to see him made. He's an obscure OT character that doesn't have much of a backstory. Those are the kinds of characters I'd like to see do well in these contests! Characters that wouldn't have a chance to be made otherwise! I'm not sure how much support I can get for him, but this is who I will be voting for.  :)

GO GEEZUM!!!!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #531 on: April 29, 2008, 11:14 PM »
Geezum's cool and nobody I would pass on...  I'd probably put my vote to Bom Vimdin if it were an alien though.  I think maybe I'd like to vote for a specific Rebel Trooper of some kind though this time.  Nik Sant the blonde (he ain't old and really grey/white haired) bearded Rebel would make a good figure I think (non-Scout Trooper version).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 29, 2008, 11:50 PM »
My greatest figure wants are human rebels or Imperials, but I think they are the most likely to be made anyway, so I'd probably vote for an obscure character.  My nomination would probably go to a human background character like Danz Borin, Yerka Mig, or Fozec among others.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #533 on: April 30, 2008, 01:01 AM »
Good call.

There's no love for Jabba's human goons from the SE, and the swoop rider from the SE.  Those are guys I'd love to see made though, and you know you'd dig 'em too.  Come on, the guy with the hat isn't as freaky as an alien to ya?  You know he is!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 30, 2008, 01:38 AM »
Shall we create a complicated 17 step procedure to decide who should be the JD fan's choice figure?  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #535 on: April 30, 2008, 01:50 AM »
I think if we did that it'd be so frustrating we'd just throw our hands up in the air and quit the whole thing.  I think that's what would happen.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #536 on: April 30, 2008, 08:17 AM »
I wonder if they would honor Jabba the Hutt votes.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 30, 2008, 09:28 AM »
I wonder if they would honor Jabba the Hutt votes.

If there was enough support, they should do something.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 30, 2008, 09:34 AM »
This is definitely a cool thread.  I've really had a good time keeping up with how the Fan's Choice Polls have gone over the years.  It looks like Scott handled the most recent Toyfare poll pretty well.  I actually wrote something up for another site that chronicles the previous Fan's Choice Polls as well.  I'm just gonna quote myself on that.

Fan's Choice Figure Poll #1
The Contestants
Ellors Madak - Duros - A New Hope POLL WINNER!

Amanaman - Return Of The Jedi
Bom Vimdim - A New Hope
Eeth Koth - The Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones
Teemto Pagalies - The Phantom Menace

ANALYSIS - As you can see, Ellors Madak was the winner.  He was issued as part of the Power Of The Jedi line.  This was actually one of the first figures to feature a functional weapon holster.

The other contestant actually fared pretty well.  Eeth Koth was issued at the tail end of the POTJ line.  Teemto Pagalies was issued in the first SAGA line.  Amanaman actually went on the win the next Fan's Choice poll.  The only character from this poll that has yet to be produced is Bom Vimdim, from the Mos Eisley cantina.

Fan's Choice Figure Poll #2
The Contestants
Amanaman - Return Of The Jedi WINNER!

Yarael Poof - The Phantom Menace
Major Bren Derlin - The Empire Strikes Back
Admiral Ozzel - The Empire Strikes Back
Ben Quadrinaros - The Phantom Menace

ANALYSIS - The second round of the Fan's Choice Poll was very much a reactionary response to the first poll.  Rumors of hacking the first time around were rampant, especially with Amanaman having a late surge in votes.  That may have given Amanaman an edge going into this round of voting, and he came out the victor in the second poll.  However, Amanaman was a little too large for a basic figure card, and was issued as part of Power Of The Jedi's Deluxe figure line.

The other characters in this round of voting have done pretty well over time.  Out of a total of five characters in this poll, four have been produced.  Obviously there was the winner.  But going down the list you can see that Yarael Poof was part of the SAGA Screen Scene line.  Major Bren Derlin is among the newest additions to the line, having come out as part of this year's SAGA line.  Admiral Ozzel was part of the SAGA gold card line.  The only holdout at this point remains pod racer Ben Quadinaros.  However, rumors point that he may be part of this year's Battle of Naboo wave in the SAGA line.

Fan's Choice Figure Poll #3
The Contestants
Ephant Mon - Return Of The Jedi - WINNER!

General Carlist Riekkan - The Empire Strikes Back
R1-G4 - A New Hope
Twi'lek Masseuse - The Phantom Menace
Even Piell - The Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones

ANALYSIS - Ephant Mon came out the winner this time, although this poll was once again mired with accusations of hacking.  Votes mysteriously kept going to the Twi'lek masseuse much to the chagrin of many a fanboy.  Ephant Mon eventually came out as part of the SAGA line's basic figure assortment in 2002.  It "weighed in" as quite possibly the heaviest basic figure to ever be part of the line.  It was also probably among the most HTF figures in the SAGA line, but also in the history of the Fan's Choice Poll.  Word is that Hasbro actually took a loss on producing this figure.

But it seems that once again the Fan's Choice polls were the source of good figure ideas for Hasbro.  Once again, 4 out of 5 of the contestants have eventually gotten their figures made.  General Riekkan was immortalized in plastic for the SAGA gold line's Ultra figure assortment, being packaged with a tactical display screen.  R1-G4 came out in the SAGA gold card line as well, but in the Basic Figure assortment.  Even Piell made it into the Screen Scene assortment, being issued as part of a Jedi Council 3-pack.  The lone holdout now is the Twi'lek masseuse.

Fan's Choice Figure Poll #4
The Contestants
McQuarrie concept Stormtrooper - WINNER!

Imperial Dignitary - Return Of The Jedi
General Carlist Riekkan - The Empire Strikes Back
Captain Nym - The Battle For Naboo video game
Rebel Commando in Scout Trooper disguise - Return Of The Jedi

ANALYSIS - The Ralph McQuarrie concept Stormtrooper was the winner this time around.  His victory was a first for Star Wars figures, being the first figure to be based off concept sketches and not having appeared in the movies or TV shows.  This figure was issued as part of the SAGA line during the gold card phase.  Two variations of this figure exist, with one having the lightsaber held high, and the other with the lightsaber held low.

The other contestants this time around haven't fared as well.  Only 3 out of 5 of these contestants have been produced.  The Imperial Dignitary was in the SAGA gold card line, and General Riekkan made his second poll appearance here, but as mentioned in the previous poll's analysis, he was part of the SAGA Ultra figure line.  Captain Nym and the Rebel Commando in Scout Trooper disguise have yet to be tapped, but don't count them out yet.

Fan's Choice Figure Poll #5
The Contestants
Captain Antilles - A New Hope - CO-WINNER!

General Jan Dodonna - A New Hope - CO-WINNER!

Rabe - The Phantom Menace
Yarua - The Phantom Menace
Ben Quadrinaros - The Phantom Menace

ANALYSIS - On this occassion the voting was so close that Hasbro deemed that both Captain Antilles and General Dodonna were co-winners.  However it was only Captain Antilles that bore the Fan's Choice winner designation on the packaging.  Both of these figures were issued on the SAGA gold cards.

Yet again there are 4 out of 5 poll candidates that have been made!  The winners got made in the SAGA gold card line.  Rabe and Yarua were pretty much in the same wave, both as part of the end of the OTC line, or what some call the Post OTC line.  But don't forget about Ben Quadrinaros!  This is his second time around in the polls, but once again there are rumors that he might be coming out later this year.

It's kind of amazing that after the 5 polls, only a few of the contestant remain unmade.  Those being:

-Bom Vimdim
-Ben Quadrinaros
-Twi'lek Masseuses Ann & Tan Gella
-Captain Nym
-Rebel Commando in Scout Trooper disguise

So it definitely seems that the polls have been fertile ground for figure ideas.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #539 on: January 28, 2011, 03:02 PM »
All this talk of Nom Anor prompted me to bump this classic back up to the top...

Made (by 2009)
#1 (1.) Quinlan Vos* (11.4%)
#2 (2.) Darth Revan* (8.1%)
#3 (3.) Yarna D'al Gargan* (6.7%)
#4 (4.) Darth Nihilus* (6.6%)
#5 (6.) Clone Commander* (5.7%)
#6 (8.) Willrow Hood* (5%)
#7 (9.) Hermi Odle (4.3%)
#8 (10.) Mara Jade Skywalker* (4%)
#9 (11.) Commander Neyo (3%)
#10 (12.) Darth Malak (3%)
#11 (15.) Luke Skywalker (2.6%)
#12 (16.) Padme Amidala (Clone Wars) (2.6%)
#13 (17.) Kyle Katarn (2.2%)
#14 (18.) Exar Kun (2%)
#15 (19.) Padme Amidala II (black dinner dress) (2%)
#16 (21.) Kir Kanos* (1.5%)
#17 (22.) Darth Maul (1.4%)

RUMORED:
7. HK-47 (5%)

Not Yet Made:
5. Bastila Shan (6.5%)
13. Padme Amidala (Funeral) (3%)
14. Corran Horn (2.8%)
20. Nom Anor (2%)
23. Jaina Solo (1.3%)
24. Anakin Solo (.8%)
25. Jacen Solo (.8%)

From the previous "Rumored" and "Not Yet Made" sections, we now have...

Made by 2010:
7. HK-47 (5%)
14. Corran Horn (2.8%)
23. Jaina Solo (1.3%)
25. Jacen Solo (.8%)

Planned for 2011:
5. Bastila Shan (6.5%)
20. Nom Anor (2%)

And that just leaves these two for them to have hit all 25 from the 2005/6 poll...
13. Padme Amidala (Funeral) (3%)
24. Anakin Solo (.8%)

Wow.  now to dig out that 2009 poll and see how they are doing on that one. ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender