Author Topic: CommanderKorbra's Customs - Making sure the topic isn't gone...  (Read 63325 times)

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
Hi, all. I've just joined and wanted to share my customs. I'm a member at Rebelscum too. Check these out-

My first custom, a female Sith. I had just learned how to customize figures and didn't have a head for a head swap. Since the pictures, she's turned into a female mandalorian:

Second Custom - Parjai Trooper. I think this is my best custom because I used one of Glassman's helmet casts and took my time to make this good:

Third and fourth customs, these guys are part of my huge mandalorian army. Still have to customize alot of the army, but it's looking better with these guys in there:

The blue mandalorian was based on this:

This is the army so far:

My most imaginative custom and the first one I've used sculpey on. I have plans to try a second version with less sculpey and more real parts. I'll also be fixing the helmet so that it fits on the head better. Yellow Female Mandalorian:

You may have noticed that the yellow and red mandalorians are from this picture from SW Insider:

Please Let me know what you think :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 08:31 PM by CommanderKorbra »
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
Re: CommanderKorbra's Customs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Neat!
I would suggest using less silver on clothing and more greys drybrushed with lighter greys to get the effect you want.
Also the blue clone's name is miles, hes from Jango Fett open seasons.
Really neat customs though!  :)
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:36 PM »
Thanks. Yea, Miles is pretty cool. I had a Boba Fett to make into him so I did it. I'm making all my Mandalorians into various ones form the comics eventually. On the clothing - I wanted her to have silver pants at the time, but now I look back and say "What was I thinking?" So I just painted her over and added some sculpey to turn her into the female mandalorian. Where do you suggest getting paints from? All I can find near me is Testors Acrylics and enamals. Not much color sellection at that. Is there a good online store that you order paint from?

Also, I forgot to say in the first postthat I'm going to take pics of my latest customs tonight. A 212th legion sniper using Bacara's body, and a SA 501st troop.
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 04:04 PM »
First off, welcome to JD, it's a really good community here and the customizing section is great.  You have a ton of work here, some I've seen before, some I haven't.  Since there's so much, I'll pick out a couple that really stand out to me.

Parjai Trooper - Great use of a Glassman helmet here, and really good on your part on the accessories for him, I think by far these are the meanest looking Clonetroopers.

Blue Mandalorian - It has the SAGA2 Fett feel to it but that's ok, the paint on this looks very good.   It really makes him look like a believable Mandalorian.

:P

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:32 PM »
I really like the red Mandalorian and the holiday special looking Mandalorian.

Welcome to the boards.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:53 PM »
Thanks, and thank you for the welcome too ;D
-CHEWIE

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 01:08 AM »
Good stuff, CK! I saw these previously at another site, but I mostly lurk there.

I love the red Mando and the female Mando. You did a nice job of staying true to your source material.

Looking forward to seeing more...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Lots of cool Fetts here. That female one is very creative. Good job on the armor sculpt. Sculpty can be a little hard to deal with but you made it look easy. The chest came out porportional and not too big. I really like the burn marks on the cape. That sith lord is a little distribing. It looks like she is bleeding for the eyes.  :o
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 10:33 AM »
Thank you both :) Is there anything you think I should do different? Like maybe a wash or drybrush or something? Also, like I asked earlier, where do most of you get your paints? I use those cheap ones at Walmart but I'd like to hear what others use.
-CHEWIE

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 10:55 AM »
Here is a picture I found of one of my earlier Mandalorians. He became the red mandalorian if I remember correctly. I might take a Jango and re-make this guy though:

This is my #41 Tac Ops. He turned out ok, I think I did the battledamage wrong though. Oh well:

I needed Bacara's pauldren and kama for my Parjai troop shown above, so this is what happened with the leftover figure:

These are some WIP shots. Can you guess who/what they are?

-CHEWIE

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Your using regular testors enamel paint? That stuff is going to leave your figures sticky forever and in some case melt the plastic. You must use acrylics for paint jobs.

The stuff I use is Tamiya paints. They are a little expensive but you will definately see the quality difference. You can pick them up any hobby store for about $1.50 each. Also I would suggest buying a can of Testors dull cote. That will seal the paint and remove the gloss. Finally, I would also suggest Testors Model Masters acrylic.

Finally invest in a good high quality set of paint brushes from an art supply store. They make it alot easier to paint. Also get a Micron .005 black pen ($2.50)  for details such as eyes and fine detail lines.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 12:15 PM »
Phew, that was alot. Thanks for all of the information. The only enamals that I use are Flat White and Flat Beret Green because I can't find either of those in Acrylics. I do have Testors Dullcoat, and it does show a difference. I like how it removes unwanted glossiness and seals the paint. I don't mind paints being a tad bit expensive, because I understand how it can make a difference in a figure. Can you get Tamiya paints off the internet? I only have one Michaels in my area and they only stock Testors enamels from what I've seen. Also, where do I get this Micron .005 pen? Is this something readily available at places like Walmart or Target? Thanks again for all of the tips, its those kinds of posts that help the most in what to choose. ;D
-CHEWIE

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 12:50 PM »
You can order them directly from Tamiya but they look pretty expensive. Stores that sell model RC cars would have them as well as stores like HobbyPeople or stores that sell Warhammer game figures. Walmart and Target won't sell these paints. Michaels or any art supply store has the micron pens. They come in different colors and sizes.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I really like the female Mando.  You did great job with the sculpy.  It looks very believable..

Concerning paints, you can order Citadel paints (also called Gamesworkshop or Warhammer) paints online at their site.  I'm pretty sure the prices are the same but you'd get stuck with shipping.  Its usually $2.5 - $3.50 for 1/2oz bottle of paint.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:20 PM by BrentS »

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Thank you both.Does anyone know how to make a good cloth kama for clones? I need a kama for my custom clone commander but I'm not sure how to attach one or even make one.
-CHEWIE