Author Topic: CommanderKorbra's Customs - Making sure the topic isn't gone...  (Read 63590 times)

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
Re: CommanderKorbra Customs - Update May 10th
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2006, 07:00 AM »
Thanks Chewie, Fritz, and roron! I'll be sure to get pics of the vehicle up when I think it's finished. Then I'll ask for your opinions and dullcoate it later. Glad mostly everyone likes the mando pilot :)
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
Re: CommanderKorbra Customs - Mando Pilot Pg 6
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2006, 07:27 AM »
BEWARE! the Dulcote. I've Ruined Several of My Paint Jobs Using that Stuff. There's nothing worse than taking a Customs that has perfect Paint Aps then Seeing it destroyed by the Dull Coat you Just Aplied. My Stealth Republic Commando Was Way to Shiny for My Taste So I used a Dulcote Sealer on it. All it did was Muddy Up all My Detail work, And the Dulcoat Crinkled, So Now he Looks Like his Armor is made of fractured Porcelin. The Scrathes I Put on the Armor Look Like Glitter, And He is Still Shiny.

Agian !!BEWARE DULCOAT!! 
Fritzkrieg

Offline starkid500

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2006, 10:15 AM »
where is your cody ??? ???
Edit by AngryEwok - Don't put images in your signature.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2006, 10:52 AM »
BEWARE! the Dulcote. I've Ruined Several of My Paint Jobs Using that Stuff. There's nothing worse than taking a Customs that has perfect Paint Aps then Seeing it destroyed by the Dull Coat you Just Aplied. My Stealth Republic Commando Was Way to Shiny for My Taste So I used a Dulcote Sealer on it. All it did was Muddy Up all My Detail work, And the Dulcoat Crinkled, So Now he Looks Like his Armor is made of fractured Porcelin. The Scrathes I Put on the Armor Look Like Glitter, And He is Still Shiny.

Agian !!BEWARE DULCOAT!! 

Hmmm.... I would suggest using matte acrylic sealer spray from Walmart, it's in the arts/crafts section and is in a bottle just like spray paint.  Just don't spray too close to the figure.

:)

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2006, 03:13 PM »
where is your cody ??? ???

He's in my WIP box. I got kind of discouraged working on him so I stuck him in the box and went back to mandos. Might try to finish him up after Good To Go Customs opens up their shop and sells some cody helms that fit the atte gunner head.

About the ship: I've got it in mostly the same colors as my mando pilot at the moment. I'm not sure if it looks too colorful though, so I'm thinking about taking off all the red and yellow parts and just leaving the green. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 03:14 PM by CommanderKorbra »
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
Re: CommanderKorbra's Customs, WIP M-LA-HA-TT Page 7
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2006, 05:56 PM »
Definitely not done. Let's just say it looks so ugly at the moment because I'm playing with ideas on how to paint it ;) I think I'll keep the green parts, and the mando skull I did on the wing... and fix up the letters on that mando phrase. But other than that I need ideas on what to paint. I was thinking maybe name the ship something and paint it on the doors. Maybe paint a female mando somewhere but then it might get too crowded. I dunno. And in case anyone wonders: No, that table isn't my painting area :) I just set the ship up there for pics.

Oh and remember I got the idea on how to modify the ship from Fritz!

-CHEWIE

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2006, 06:49 PM »
Whew!  I was worried that you'd use that table to paint on!  I can sleep now.   :P

I like the lightsaber count, but it should probably be a bit smaller, and under the cockpit canopy edge, on the side, similar to where fighter aces post their kill count.

The large Mando skull looks great, but I'm not so sure the Mandalorians would advertise so openly.  Same goes for the writing on the side about beating Jedi ass, and the T visor.  Unless it's an Air Mando "Anywhere-but-the-outer-rim-for-299-credits!" transport, it just seems a little over the top to me.  If you were to write anything on it, I think limiting it to a much smaller word or two, in Aurebesch would look better in my opinion.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Okay, Good suggestions there :) I really was just playing around seeing what I could paint and how it looked.  I didn't really know where to put the lightsaber count but that is what I was going for - a kill count like you see on the fighters or on the aircraft carriers. I can limit and take away what I paint on it now but I do want it to have a mandalorian feel. Not just a, "Hey there's a clone ship custom thingie"
-CHEWIE

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2006, 07:15 PM »
My one and only suggestion is to paint that yellow hose. It really stands out in a bad way compared to the rest of the ship. It doesn't seem to Star Wars-ish.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2006, 07:22 PM »
;) Yep, I know. I've still got a lot of painting to do and that was one of the things. I think it'll look more starwarsy if its like a combo and black and gray right?
-CHEWIE

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2006, 08:21 PM »
I like the idea and the color scheme. I don't like the paint job however. Very messy feeling. I would suggest not using craft store paints and go for something a little higher quality such as GameWorkshop or Tamyia paints. It really helps getting that movie quality by using the right paints. A good set of high quality paint brushes really makes it easy to get great results. $3-4 a piece from a art supply store is a good investment.

Next, I would use some masking tape when trying to make straight lines. It just makes life so much easier when making straight lines. Finally, I would make all the pictures, lightsaber count and wording in the computer and print them out using clear custom decal paper. You can get some great detail this way and get things to look exactly the way you want them before appling them to the ship. The wording on the side of the ship could be done in some crazy mandolorian font and made to look like it was painted on. It's a really good idea but just needs to be cleaned up some.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Thanks Phruby but I tried to make it clear this is very very much still a WIP and I didn't really want to show anyone yet. But I got a PM so I figured what the heck and threw up these pictures. And lol at your comments on the straight lines and paint brushes... I do use the type of brushes you mentioned and masking tape. Just haven't really tried to paint the line straight yet when I'm still figuring how I want this thing to look ;) Don't worry, it'll look 400% better when I'm really ready to show it here.
-CHEWIE

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2006, 10:14 PM »
Cool. It's going to be very cool if I know your customs. Anyway, give some though to using that decal paper. It will make those logos look fantastic.

It comes with software to make and print out the drawings and I think three pieces of paper.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2006, 10:27 PM »
i think it's a great idea and concept. you might try masking off the ship next time before you paint, so you get more crisp and defined lines.

the light saber count is very cool, i agree that it could be a bit smaller, and mabey black and white,. stencil looking, ya know.

i like the big mandalore skull. if it is a stealth descreet ship then they may not advertise like that, but if it's a battle insertion type ship then i would go with a couple mandalore skulls on it. the kind of thing that amnnounces mandalorian prescence and that they are not to be messed with......

over all great concept. i'd love to see a pic of the ship manned with mandalorians.

good work, thanks for sharing~!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2006, 06:38 AM »
You might try masking off the ship next time before you paint, so you get more crisp and defined lines.

LOL. Thanks for the rest of the suggestions though. Once it's done Ill definitely get pics with mandos in it ;)
-CHEWIE