Author Topic: No Worries for the Red Battle Droid  (Read 7239 times)

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
No Worries for the Red Battle Droid
« on: May 10, 2003, 10:30 AM »
It seems that lots of people are worried that the Red Battle Droid is going to be hard to acquire since he is only currently showing up X1 per Saga case. Yes, lots of people want to get lots of this droid for their Genosian Area Display and more. I am right there with these people. I want to get about a dozen or more of this Red Battle Droid. But I am not worried about trying to acquire many of him. Why, you ask?

Yes, The Red Battle Droid is making sightings in the Saga line, but the Clones War line is coming real soon. The Red colored Battle Droid is slated to be in the Clones War line. Therefore I do not think that this figure will be hard to acquire for your armies. It may be hard to get one on the Saga card for the carded collector out there.

So you do not have to worry about acquiring this figure for your army building. I believe that he will be plentiful when the Clone Wars line is released. Heck, the white colored Battle Droid is still plentiful at KB-Toys and other stores.

For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: No Worries for the Red Battle Droid
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 03:53 PM »
Since he's barely hit yet on the Saga card, but has been kicking around over seas for quite a while, I can understand many people's concern - especially the carded collectors.

But you're right BB, I think by the time the CW line rolls in, he should be pretty easy to find.  Not to mention he'll be included in that droid 3-pack as well.  Just silly that Hasbro's drawing the process out SO long.  No idea what their hold up has been with this figure.  No excuse really.  Let's see him, the movie's a year old already!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2003, 04:40 PM by Snively Bandar »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 06:15 PM »
I would love to see some of these in stores, and what guarantee is Hasbro giving us collectors that the Clone Wars version of the Red Battle Droid will actually hit pegs (when that series is released)?

You've all heard me say this MANY times already, but there hasn't been new in any store by me since November 2002.   >:(
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 11:45 AM »
In the current Star Wars Insider it looks like Hasbro is trying to shift blame onto the retailers.  I kind of agree with them.  I think retailers are kind of odd when it comes to ordering way too much of one product and not knowing how to get rid of it when they need to.  

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 03:06 PM »
Well, that's the real deal.  Retailers should've learned their lesson from EPISODE I.  Again, they overestimated demand, and wound up with too many pegwarmers.

What's really going to bake your noodle is this:  Toys R Us, a big chain, ordered twice as many Collection 1 figures as they did Collection 2 figures in their SAGA orders last year.  Honest, I saw the numbers.  And most collectors would agree that they tended to prefer the Collection 2 figures.  Now, here's the twist:  most of the excess stock that TRU has now is COLLECTION 2!  Hmmm, it appears that maybe we don't make up anywhere near as big a share of the market in movie years as we thought.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 03:11 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 02:06 AM »
I think it's ultimately Hasbro's fault on the lack of new product to be found at retail.  There's some good posts on this in the SAGA forum if you disagree with me. ;)

:P

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 01:30 PM »
I have always said that you have to blame the retailers and not Hasbro. Hasbro offers the goods and it is up to the retailer to pick and puy to have on their pegs. They don't.

There is a guy at one of the flea markets over here who has a red battle droid for $75.00!!! He has it marked as a Rare paint error. What a boob.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 01:47 PM »
Part of that is true David but I still think Hasbro does bear a large part of the responsibility for what has happened.  Throw in a bad economy, war, SARS etc etc etc and retail right now is a mess

What's Up With Availability

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 08:46 PM »
I hope you're right BB, but will the retailers order the clone war toys?  We assume they will because it can be tied in to something current (the cartoon) and hopefully hold the attention span of kids (for a while anyways).

I just hope the current saga toys start showing up and that somewhere down the line Hasbro doesn't drop the ball and we have a glut of cartoon Anakin's because they can't figure out the case assortment ratio yet!!
Beth

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 03:47 PM »
I think both retailers and Hasbro share the blame.  Retailers for ordering so outlandishly, and Hasbro for willingly filling those orders.  They could cap production.  Toy companies are famous for it.  They have a bottom line, though, and the money they make selling these to TRU, Wal Mart and the like outstrips the money they spend picking up all the pegwarmers.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 11:41 PM »
I still say that the vast majority of the blame falls on Hasbro.  They are the ones that should be held accountable for the marketing of their product, not the retailers.

The retailers shouldn't have to distinguish between a case having 3 Lukes, 3 Vaders, 3 Hans and 3 Mauls vs one with 4 Padme's, 3 Wat Tambors, 3 Coleman Trebors and 2 Chancellor Palpatine.  Most anyone ordering it is going to be like "who in the hell is Coleman Trebor?"   They are naturally going to order up on the main character case because they are familiar with those characters, causing major problems with the retail situation.  There's many other possible scenarios too of course.

I no longer rely on retail for barely anything anymore Star Wars related.  I consider anything I find at retail as a bonus.

:P

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2003, 12:14 AM »
I think both retailers and Hasbro share the blame.  Retailers for ordering so outlandishly, and Hasbro for willingly filling those orders.  They could cap production.  Toy companies are famous for it.  They have a bottom line, though, and the money they make selling these to TRU, Wal Mart and the like outstrips the money they spend picking up all the pegwarmers.

Capping production is a very worthwhile thing for Hasbro to look into.  I'm pretty sure Playmates did that with the Simpsons, and I think it kept retailers from flooding the stores with too much of any particular item.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 12:51 AM »
I no longer rely on retail for barely anything anymore Star Wars related.  I consider anything I find at retail as a bonus.

You and I are in the same boat.  Finding something new at retail must be the same feeling as to winning the lottery.  The odds of either of the two happening are slim to none.
dustrho

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2003, 04:41 AM »
I don't rely on retail either anymore, Chewie.  I pre-ordered the Screen Scenes from Newforce, not wanting to take a chance.  I wanted to order the 3 packs (clones, droids) but I want the Jedi more than anything else, and for some ungodly reason, they're holding them off for Wave 2.  Sigh.

Offline nack5811

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 11:38 AM »
I just picked up one of these over the weekend SAGA MOC.  I am a completist and I really wanted one.  I amvery luck because I happened to get 12 new figures that run.  I musthave gotten there after they restocked.  I can't wait to go back this weekend.  But I did see that the red battle droid does come withthe clonbewars tank.  I saw it this weekend as well.  There is also a cool destroyed droid that comes with it.  It flips over when you press a button.  so they will be comming.  But for now count your blessings if you get it MOC.  I am.