Author Topic: Custom AT-TT  (Read 9538 times)

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
Re: Custom AT-TT
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 01:35 AM »
Also WRT weathering, the ROTS era Republic gear tends to have a *lot* of wear to it. Not to say it wouldn't have been shiny new at some point. :)

It looks great as is, though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 03:49 AM »
Definitely a nice custom Clone Hunter...  Lots to dig with the design.

I like that you seemingly gutted the interior to opt for troop compartments rather than the clustermissles the Rolling THunder had in there.  The MLC-3 replacement of the little scout vehicle is pretty cool too.

I think I'd make a couple changes if it were mine though...

-Color...  The color varies a substantial bit from Republic vehicles seen in the films.  Not to say that's not a possibility, but there's a distinct "primed" look to most republic and Imperial war vehicles...  I think that would have looked cool on this with some Republic emblems on it.

-Gun Turrets...  i think the turrets are cool but could use some modification.  They're very "open" for small anti-infantry turrets which is kind of how they appear.  They'd be open to fire then, so I think if they were given some frontal armor, like just a backwards angle plate mounted over the guns even (add a couple small blast marks even) they'd look a bit more "realistic".

The other area is one that In Rem just mentioned too, with weathering...  Some muddied up tires (dunno what planet you'd have this on or whatnot), or some blast marks...  Weathering is easy and can be pretty fun too.  I wouldn't overdo it, but I'm all for a little bit to give the vheicle a more realistic and "lived in" look that is classic Star Wars.

Very cool use of a Rolling Thunder though for certain.  I have one in my attic somewhere, it was such a fun toy as a child.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 05:34 AM »
Please don't get offended that some people are asking about weathering... it just might make it look less like a toy and more like a real vehicle.  I'll get one of these eventually and hopefully I can weather it.  You've really inspired me that I have to pick one of these up.

:P

I am not getting offended by it the first time. I explain that I like my stuf un-weathered two times already, but people still go on and on about weathering. It gets irritating after a while, because it becomes:

"oh you did such good work, now mess it up a little."

I could have made it look like crap, but then why bother at all?
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Aurabesh is a font you can download online, it's a real font/letterhead, not made up by Lucas for the SW universe...  It's pretty easy to find, just do a google search and you can download it to put it into MS Word and type crud up in the Star Wars ffont....

It's seen in the films a number of places including the Control panel of the Impy Officer who's directing the Shuttle Tydirum in during ROTJ.  It's in the prequals too and some things in ANH were altered for the DVD actually to nix "english" lettering and numbering to be replaced by Aurabesh...

CIS and GAR were covered well enough.  :)

As far as weathering goes...  People are going to give their honest opinions, which is as it should be, and while I can understand if you're not for it yourself Clone Hunter it's still something a lot of people like...

Does the Republic and Empire military organizations have cleaning specs for their vehicle crews?  Undoubtebly, but as we see in ESB the AT-AT's are pretty grimey and not from action on Hoth...  The AT-TE's aren't pretty when they're dropped into combat on Geonosis either, and Gunships are battle scarred as they just fly around Coruscant's pretty skyways.

The "lived in look" is important for the Star Wars universe...

more to the point though, If you peruse some of the top modeling/hobby sites and things you'll notice that weathering brings out detail...  Some of it's just to show shadow and depth, it just depends how you weather...  Some people go overboard, but some people can get it just right.  Definitely worth checking out model websites to see what I'm talking about.

It's kind of the difference between looking at a model of a 2006 Ford Mustang, and a model of an Abraham's Tank just prior to being sent to war...  The Mustang's gonna look all polished and new.  The Abraham's is going to look dull, it's gonna show shadow, you're gonna see panel lines clearly for hatches or things like that...  It won't look dirty, or battle damaged, but it'll show "things" better than the polished smooth Mustang would.

Kinda hard to explain really I guess...

Anyway, if you're not into weathering that's fine too, and you just don't of course and nobody's going to think less of you or the work for it.  But at the same time people who do like weathering will either look at that as a negative on the custom or they'll just look at it as a personal preference, but either way they're gonna say it's something they think differently on but it's not a big deal either way really either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 09:54 AM »
I love seeing the Gi-Joe conversions and I especially dig the fact that you incorporated the mini-rigs. Awesome work!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."