Author Topic: Vehicles: Do You Collect/Display Them?  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vehicles: Do You Collect/Display Them?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 06:28 PM »
Things like AT-AT's and Sandcrawlers are the exception to the rule...  For me, I'd just as soon they didn't make those at all actually, and that they focused on more feasible vehicles like fighters.

While people say they want those other things, it's like you said.  Everyone waits for clearance either because they know they can, or becuase they know they're not getting what they're paying for and vehicle prices are so prohibitive they are willing to NOT bite the bullet on them.

For an X-Wing can they make a scale one?  Without a doubt...  If these other companies can do an F-16 to-scale the X-Wing is smaller than that.  And given Hasbro's construction of vehicles it'd be much simpler, fewer parts, lower cost-to-sales overall (especially if more units are produced), repaint possibilities...  Price would vary but if Hasbro laid out the plans right like these other companies do, they'd know what they could price the early release of the ship at and still crank out repaints for online exclusives, store exclusives, etc. and they'd greatly reduce the costs by getting the most out of the mold toolings.

I think a lot of the reason the people don't want to pay the price for the product is because Hasbro doesn't deliver a high quality item for the collector.  It's been said that vehicles are mostly something collectors demand though...  Items like the Gunship and ARC-170 were great toys and still didn't sell though, which I found odd, but it's possible that kids simply just don't get the vehicles anymore, or not in the ways we did when we were young.  And if adults are getting them/wanting them made then quality becomes a big issue in what people are willing to buy for specific prices.

21st and BBI pay way more licensing fees than you'd ever imagine.  Almost every piece is licensed, and some are quite expensive, and all being paid for by companies a fraction of the size of Hasbro with a smaller buyer market than Hasbro has for Star Wars...  Hasbro just has to think like these companies to make profitable to-scale ships that will actually sell for the prices they want because the collector is buying something more than just a toy... 

The only unsure footing I see is them stepping into some grey area with the various licensees who actually do high-end collectibles...  Otherwise, if 21st can sell 10 paintjobs of a P-47 Thunderbolt for $50 each and they don't sit long and command high dollars on the secondary market, then I'm sure Hasbro can match that kind of quality with sales in their line.

Short of a movie year though, vehicles have slim pickings mostly and Hasbro's had no real reason to do more since people don't want them and they aren't willing to "do better" to make people want them more for that price Hasbro insists on.

We'll never get a scale Sandcrawler or Juggernaught of course, but Y-Wings, X-Wings, TIE Interceptors, and the like are all quite possible at some point...  I tend not to hold my breath though of course.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 08:19 PM »
I agree with what you're saying Jesse.  But I'm still glad we get some vehicles that are out of scale, it would suck not having AT-AT's or any Falcon, Royal Starship, etc.  Just my opinion of course.

:P

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 08:20 PM »
I think I am the person you are talking about.

I bought a Republic gunship, full retail at TRU. If I saw more I'd have bought more. I only ever saw two.

I bought Obi Wans blue Starfighter full retail at TRU.

But, I keep seeing the Millenium Falcons for $50. I just can't justify paying that for something that was kool in 1977 but is cheesy 30 years later. I think that they can make it a little bigger, with ALL the landing gear??? I'd especially want a whole use of the body, frak that carboard wall.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 11:49 AM »
I really enjoy the vehicle aspect of the line, but the space (and to some extent, the money) is the factor that is causing me to re-think what will work best.  For the most part, some shelving I have in a closet is where my vehicles reside now - and its pretty much full.  Its a mix of both OT and PT vehicles, and I'm deciding at this point where I want to go.  My overall goal would to be have each of the OT vehicles that are released (or going to be) displayed in there loose, and I'm not sure about the prequel ships.  I'm giving some thought to packing those up, to clear up space once I pick up some of the other OT ships/vehicles I eventually want to get.  Its tough to know what to pack away sometimes, or what to continue buying.  Some of the prequel stuff is pretty neat too, but I'm at the point now where there just isn't room to display it all.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I'm almost to the point where the EPI dioramas are going to be getting smaller, that stuff just doesn't excite me like the other films.  I have a limited amount of display space, even though it is a whole room.

:)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 12:13 PM »
I do collect vehicles - although I'm becoming less strict about collecting them all now that the 5th and 6th jedi starfighters in a little over a year are being released along with the 4th Republic Gunship.

I hang mine from the ceiling - over my a/c duct (exposed ducts loft style...) using fishing line.  Mixed in are a bunch of the asteroids from Hasbro's OTC Millenium Falcon commercial.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 01:22 PM »
You should post pics Rob.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 03:20 PM »
It's been on my to-do list for about a year now.  I guess now that I bought a new camera I can get around to it...  soon.