Author Topic: Jeff For Fan Club President!  (Read 126051 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff For Fan Club President!
« Reply #435 on: July 11, 2006, 10:32 PM »
Well I had been a regular at rebelscum for quite a few years but after seeing what an old prick Phillip was today, I'm through with that place.

All the better really because as a 31 year old I got tired of talking to annoying children and morons who can hold a simple discussion without always being right. :P

I would imagine (hope?) this place might gain a few more intelligent scummer deserters in the near future.

I hope that old bastard loses everybody after that show of utter disgrace he pulled over this contest. If any of them have one iota of sense they'll realize his crybaby antics of locking the thread is just the ultimate proof that those of us calling him out were 100% right about him.

I know I'll never add another penny to his tight white 80's shorts by visiting his sites or spending another $2000+ through Official Pix.

Anyway, I hope I'm welcome here and if so I'll probably be chatting with many of you on the Sideshow 12" forum.
 :)

Dooku1?
Did Philip drop the ol' ban hammer on you over at RS?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #436 on: July 11, 2006, 10:39 PM »
Oh I remember Jeff (or someone here) noticing that the subscription links from the campaign posts over at RS were affiliate links.

:)

My favorite part is the fact that the "Join or renew here" link in his newspost is not a link to the Hyperspace sign-up page at the Official Site.

It's a link to the Hyperspace sign up via ShopStarWars.  That way, he can use his ad referral code to make sure that he gets a cut of your $40 subscription fee for himself.  Savvy marketing once again...

::)

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Poggle the Greater

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 11, 2006, 10:58 PM »

Dooku1?
Did Philip drop the ol' ban hammer on you over at RS?

Hahaha!
You got me! Glad to see a familar face, so to speak!

Nah, he didn't ban me as far as know, I just decided to finally leave.

I'm satisfied going out with a bang by so infuriating Phillip it made him cwy and delete the thread. :'(

He knew he was beaten and took the low road out which suited me just fine.

I was totally civil with him until he started getting so utterly condescending.
I'm just happy his true colors were shown to all of us once and for all and I hope the SW community remembers it for a long, long time....

Offline Lord Mantha

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 11, 2006, 11:16 PM »
phil has lost the battle. i hope he loses the war someday (everyone knows what he really is and stops feeding his money-hungry attitude(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #439 on: July 11, 2006, 11:30 PM »
We have an introduction area just below if anyone new wants to say hey and tell a little about themselves...  It helps some of the staff out too to know who's who too.  Just a thought for the new folks roaming over for whatever their reasons.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jedi_Joel

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • AllTroops.com
« Reply #440 on: July 11, 2006, 11:52 PM »
I'm getting a good laugh out this thing either way because people are just being stupid with this which yield gems such as the following:
At least he beat that loser...
Excellent. The better person won in my opinion.
I'm so happy a true fan won.
I'm still wondering as to why Dustin is a better person and a "true fan". Is it because he's got time to kill by having fan sites? Or is it he's got a lot of money to burn on collectables? Or could it be that he had the backing of RS? ???
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:54 PM by Jedi_Joel »

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #441 on: July 12, 2006, 12:17 AM »
What's funny is that I managed to get the last post in before Phillip deleted the thread.  Did my comment put him over the edge? 

I never realized how much of a pill he is, so I think I'm also going to transition (back) to Jedidefender.
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 12, 2006, 12:23 AM »
Cool, great to have a customizer of your skill over here.  I'm doing the same thing as you, he really acted like a jerk today.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #443 on: July 12, 2006, 02:32 AM »
I was away from my PCs all day today, so I guess I missed the fireworks. I still don't understand why everyone is so upset.  Did anyone save the thread?

I mean....did someone say that Dustin cheated or something?  It seemed to me like he ran a huge campaign and I never expected him to lose.  Even when he was behind in votes, I expected him to pull through in the 11th hour with whatever he needed to get over the top.  When the results were never announced, I figured they were just waiting to spring the news at the con.

The only question mark for me was how did the StarWars.com disqualify the other guy?

Was that ever answered in the thread, or was the whole thing just a flamefest until it got locked and deleted? Sucks I missed it all.
Got Clones?

Offline Darth_Deastron

• Jedi Initiate
  • Let the hate flow through you.
    • View Profile
    • The Sith Empire
« Reply #444 on: July 12, 2006, 02:36 AM »
I'm kinda skeptical about Dustin winning.  I really could care less now, I'm just glad it's over.  Dustin's OK, but I'd rather see Jeff win. 
FS: TSE Sith Holocron Props!  Cool heartbeat glow! PM me if you're interested.

The Sith Empire

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 12, 2006, 03:19 AM »
Dustin's OK, but I'd rather see Jeff win. 

If they have the contest again next year, perhaps Jeff can start running earlier and with a little more gusto.  This time around, his campaign was kind of tongue in cheek as opposed to the full court press.

Of course, if they have the contest next year, it would be nice if it wasn't magazine sales that voted the person into office, but genuine VOTES.

Now that could be interesting.
Got Clones?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #446 on: July 12, 2006, 03:39 AM »
I doubt Chris buys Jeff into it.   :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 12, 2006, 03:52 AM »
I will admit to thinking that RS would totally buy 100 subscriptions in the zero hour to make sure Dustin won (then I thought they might give them away or something, contest stylie).....but that didn't seem to be the case. The vote ended with a pretty big gap between the two.

I think the DQ of the mysterious "USCwannabe" probably happened at StarWars.com's request, not because of any "superclout" Phil or any of the Rebelscum guys exerted.

Yes....they assisted Dustin in his campaign big time, but do you really think that Philip made some phone call and said "our boy wins or else"?  I know you guys really hate him, but do you really think he's this Emperor like figure that can demand his man gets elected, "Or else"?

I just can't make the guy out to be that evil.  Or that powerful.  And if by some reason he IS one, the other, or both....I can't see the fan club being bullied into bending to that demand.  It's all too cartoonish and far fetched IMHO.

Perhaps USC's comments in blogs that were reposted everywhere got him DQed.  The stuff I saw was pretty harsh, and if he really wrote that....do they really want him as a spokesman? Even a figurehead?

Perhaps those massive magazine sales of his WERE somehow not quite on the level.  The pace was staggering, especially when you almost never saw people say "I voted for USC".

Perhaps he didn't meet some superset of requirements they had after the fact.  Maybe it turns out he was the wrong age, or had some other background issue.

Or, maybe it's one of the conspiracy theories:

Perhaps someone's theory about him not being a real dude (and just a way to goose the leader along, like a shill bidder on Ebay) was true.    Maybe they just kept us in suspense because Comic Con is next week and that was the plan all along.  To unveil Dustin, the hero to many....at the zero hour.

Perhaps someone at RS DID buy up 100 memberships at 40 bucks a pop that night at midnight, though spending 4 grand just so Dustin could win less than half that in prizes seems excessive to me.  Plus, wouldn't we have seen it in the tally?

Any way you slice it.....I think any shadyness about this whole thing is the fault of StarWars.com and the fan club, not Rebelscum.   Call me an apologist or whatever, but other than spamming the hell out of the front page.....I never saw Dustin do anything shady during the contest, so I can't really see him resorting to some sort of evil deeds afterwards.  What could he REALLY do?  Threaten to take some links off RS?   Would StarWars.com really "bow" to that?

Maybe I don't know the guy, but I just can't see this being some huge scam perpetrated so he could win a trip to a convention he was already going to.  It just doesn't make sense.

Then again, stranger things have happened and I've been wrong a million times before.
Got Clones?

Offline Sith Lord 0498

• Youngling
  • Sith Lording since 1993!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 12, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't see what Phillip's physical style or particular choice of fishing attire has to do with anything?

I guess I probably am, but I don't think it's easy to stay on the high-ground when you're picking on him for his goofy pants instead of his ****** attitude with members of his site when confronted with anything.

I agree.  His appearance has nothing to do with this except for the fact that I didn't picture him to look like THAT.

I, for one, am DONE with Rebelscum pending the completion of my outstanding deals with other Scummers.  I hope I am welcome as well. :)
"The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader."

Reviewer/Graphic Designer - yodasnews.com

www.pswcs.com

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2006, 07:36 AM »
It's definitely a sad day for collectors and fans of the Star Wars franchise.  Like Jared mentioned, I'm embarrassed to be associated with this hobby right now, and will likely be cancelling my Hyperspace subscription as well.  There's just no way I feel morally right supporting anything that has to do with businessman extraordinaire, Phillip Wise, which obviously covers his mindless lapdog Dustin.

Josh, I think you're missing a number of key points with this thing, and it looks like you missed some very valid points while you were away today as well.  First and foremost now, is the fact that Dustin probably shouldn't have even been eligible for the contest based on the rules set forth (official affiliates of LFL, etc...).  Obviously we all know that he works for RS and TFn, which as Phillip himself pointed out today, are both affiliates of SWS.com, and other official SW licensees, but even moreso, Dustin has worked for Official Pix on at least several occasions, and they're pretty damned affiliated at this point, most folks think.  For Phillip to suggest that Dustin "only volunteers at RS/TFn and isn't even involved with Official Pix" is as much a joke as Phillip reiterating ad nauseum that the whole contest is "just for fun".  What a complete ******* liar that guy is, and it's sad to watch him bury himself deeper and deeper every time he repeats it (like he did a couple more times this afternoon).  Anyway, that was a very big point that the RS members were addressing, even moreso when Phillip flat-out admitted that they were affiliated, and that he was also getting a financial cut from all the subscriptions Dustin "sold" (like most of us already knew).

Obviously, the other huge question is WTF ever happend to USCwannabe?  Some type of official announcement would certainly help matters, and the lack thereof just adds fuel to the fire, in that everyone's assuming even moreso that Phillip started throwing his weight around when the election results didn't go his way (as we all knew he would).  Again, he's completely lied about not doing that either.  What a joke.

Hell, maybe USCwannabe did cheat somehow, or didn't pass one of the background/history checks.  Who knows?  We'll probably never know, though pretty much all of us knew this entire scenario was a foregone conclusion as soon as we realized the Final Results were never going to get posted.  Heck, I pretty much knew the moment that RS went tight-lipped on the whole matter, closing the various threads, and hiding most of the evidence of Dustin's running after he "lost".  Prior to that, they were all throwing total shitfits about how crooked the whole thing was (especially Myatt).  Then, all of the sudden, every last trace of Dustin's running disappeared.  I have a feeling they'd already arranged the outcome way back then, hence the sudden silence, and lack of further complaining and diatribes.  Yep, sure looks "un-crooked" now, no doubt.  Of course Phillip totally lied again, by saying that they were just as in the dark all along as everyone else was.  Heh.

Did Dustin run a better campaign?  Probably.  At least from what we could see publicly.  Obviously everyone's already pointed out that the enormous resources available to him made for a very unfair advantage over any other candidates.  Sure they did.  Not necessarily their fault though.  I concur that Dustin's devoted a fair amount of time, energy, and SW knowledge to get to where he is in the hobby today, so kudos to him for that.  But another big thing that I take issue with is that Dustin was probably going to be down at Comic Con anyway, working for Phillip at Official Pix (on Phillip's dime too, probably, like when he went down to Dallas).  Dustin's probably one of the last people who needs some freebie comped Star Wars collectibles as well.  So this all expenses paid trip, with free swag, is going to someone who was probably already going to get a free trip to SDCC, and already gets plenty of goodies as it is.  Instead, all this cool free stuff should've been going to someone who would REALLY appreciate it, and likely not get it otherwise, and not just take it all for granted.  It's kinda like a millionaire winning the lottery, instead of a poor family who needs it 1000x more.

Furthermore, and another huge point that most people seem to be missing, is the INTENTIONS that Phillip has for his (Dustin's) Fan Club Presidency.  Do you honestly think they're just going to roll over and accept the several token freebies, and honorary title and one-time Insider column, and that's it?  HELL NO!!!  Phillip was going to milk this thing for everything it was worth.  Anyone who's saying "well, it's not like Dustin/Phillip are even getting much out of this meaningless title anyway" sure doesn't know Phillip Wise too well.  He's had big plans on what he was going to do with Dustin's presidency since the day they (he) decided to run for it, no doubt at all.  Anyone who suggests otherwise is absolutely kidding themselves.  Hell, they were essentially bribing people with "free" $40 posters for an Insider subscription, or free front page advertising on RS just for pimping Dustin's campaign anywhere else on the net.  They practically stopped posting news altogether at RS for a couple months, just to focus primarily on winning the campaign.  This is big business for Phillip, and he's wanted nothing more than to have that "Fan Club President" title attached to his websites.

Which brings us to the most problematic issue of all:  That an arrogant, hypocritical, demeaning, greedy, pompous businessman is taking more and more control of our hobby, when he's one of the last people who deserves it.  Hell, if he hadn't completely swindled the forums away from Mike, he'd never be anywhere remotely close to where he is now to begin with!  The guy's a liar, a cheat, and a completely deceitful man who has no business turning Star Wars into his business.  That should be left for George Lucas.  What sucks is that there's not a whole lot that the average fan or collector can do about it, aside from staying away from his sites, and goods.  Of course, if you state any objections about anything over there, or about Phillip (or Dustin), he'll quickly point out that it's "his way, or the highway", and if you're lucky, he'll even throw in a nice little "get a life" comment as he boots you the hell out the door.

As for Dustin, I know some people think he's an ok, upstanding guy.  Hell, I even used to think he was up until a little over a year ago.  But for some of us, namely anyone associated with JediDefender, we now know otherwise.  This is a guy who summarily, and inexplicably (at Phillip's request, no doubt) starting banning from RS anyone who had anything to do with this site - staff members, forum members, or otherwise.  Phillip started seeing JD as a threat, so he laid down the law over there, and had Dustin personally impose it for him.  Phillp's very own version of Rick McCallum, if you will.  Dustin may only be the puppet, but he shares equally in much of the blame for their idiocy over there.  There used to be one, large, relatively happy online collecting community, but thanks to Phillip's sterling and greedy efforts, it's now been essentially fragmented into 3 seperate pieces.

Who the hell wants a Fan Club president who doesn't allow members of another (competing) site at their own?  As far as I know, Phillip and Dustin are the only ones who have ever imposed such a sanction at any collecting site online.  So I'm half expecting Dustin to start banning any and all fans of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, or any other Sci-Fi franchise or movie property from the Star Wars Fan Club membership.  He (and Phillip) are just petty and stupid enough to pull some nonsense like that.  Speaking of petty, ever heard of someone closing a feedback thread with 100 posts in it since "the member was banned"?  I thought not.  That's the kind of special treatment I get from Dustin, who has still refused to ever provide any reasoning for our bannings over there (though we're all well aware of why).  Funny, but no other banned members have ever had their feedback threads closed over there.  Go figure.

Anyway, the issues here are far more in depth than just "Dustin (Phillip) seems to have stolen away the victory".  They probably shouldn't have ever been in the running in the first place, not to mention that they don't deserve it, don't need it, and don't represent true Star Wars fans, or the leadership thereof.  This is nothing more than an arrogant, greedy businessman throwing his weight around, and his pathetically mindless puppet performing all the actions.  Nothing more.

But hey, "it's all in good fun", right?  ::)

- Matt

I'm just happy his true colors were shown to all of us once and for all and I hope the SW community remembers it for a long, long time....

Actually, Phillip has shown his true colors a number of times in the past few years, but most people at RS are too new to have known of most of his prior transgressions.  My favorite of all time was when he spammed his entire RS membership via e-mail with some unwanted TRU midnight madness advertisement, then told everyone to shut the hell up, get a life, and move along, when they all got upset about it, and then HE proceeded to throw an equally large shitfit when one of the other collecting sites administrators sent HIM an e-mail that he felt was worthless and wasted his time.  The guy is as big a hypocrite and liar as they come, no doubt.

BTW, welcome aboard to the new guys.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it here (assuming you're not a fan of post-padding, spamming, trolling, immaturity, and any other number of RS attributes).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 07:57 AM by JediMAC »