Author Topic: Jeff For Fan Club President!  (Read 126404 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff For Fan Club President!
« Reply #525 on: July 14, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Even though I find shouting funny (and one of the things I look forward to most in JD's reports from ComicCon is Matt laying into someone during one of the panels), how about getting an organized "back turning" going when the Dustin Puppet comes out on stage?  I gather that it's more than just JD that is upset about his "winning", but I'm sure it would be a funny image to have the majority of the SW internet community who knows this is a bull**** uniformly turn their backs on him when he enters the room.

Or someone can sneak in and cut the strings that Wise uses to control him and watch him fall to the floor.  Either way.

And notice how I didn't make the obvious "hand up the ass" joke in terms of puppeteering.  Or maybe I just did. :)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 14, 2006, 11:39 AM »
tee hee.

you said ass.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #527 on: July 14, 2006, 01:38 PM »
I don't believe this is Thomas Costabile  ;D

http://www.ratemybody.com/memberDirectory/lp/..%5Cus%5CUSCWannaBe_65227.html

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S. U. N.
"Don't give me excuses, give me results"!

Offline mousedroid

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 14, 2006, 02:30 PM »

Couldn't be.  If that was USCwannabe, all she would have had to do was show that picture and she'd have won by 5,000 votes.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 14, 2006, 02:31 PM »

Couldn't be.  If that was USCwannabe, all she would have had to do was show that picture and she'd have won by 5,000 votes.

Actually, 4,999 votes.  She wouldn't have gotten my vote :P
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline theottomanguy

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 14, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Hey all.  I just discovered your discussion about this here.  I was one of the people shut down by Phil on that thread at Rebelscum.  Indeed it was right after I nailed him down on the issue of money referrals and the fact that rebelscum calls itself an "affiliate" of starwarshop.com.  And that as a person who distributes promotional material for IDG, Dustin is clearly ineligible to participate in the contest according to the rules as written.  We've been talking about it over on yakface.  There's still hope that IDG can be made aware of this and everyone's distaste for these results.  I'm thinking that an email/phone campaign is gonna begin pretty soon.  So, stay tuned.

Offline Gamorrean Jedi

• Youngling
  • a llama bit my sister!
    • View Profile
    • Gamorrean Jedi.com
« Reply #531 on: July 14, 2006, 03:43 PM »
I will first freely admit that DLR is a frind of mine so thats out in the open I don't care anything about P. Wise but I don't diss him for being a sucess on the web, that said, just who are you theottomanguy I'm allways lurking on a lot of forums and you only seem to have come into this world and regestered on a whole lot of forum on july 10th and 11th 2006 trying to stir all this up? for the most part alot of people I have seen didn't really care all the much that DLR won, some were desidedly unhappy like here at JD (but theres a long history behind that) but you appeared out nowere and started running around and stiring things up for no apperant reason. I find it hard to belive that your just this good semeritain whos running around trying to right this precived wrong. So whats in it for you? I have found in this world that No one goes to this much trouble without something to gain.

I think this is a very valid question to answer that alot of people should have asked befor joining this crusade of yours
Seen any Star Wars figures lately? I haven't.
This years running of the Bulls score: Bulls 11, Humans 0 :D

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #532 on: July 14, 2006, 03:52 PM »

I myself have never found any of these supposed statements made by USC, just Dustin's crew saying that he said them on myspace, etc.  The only thing I can find is his blog on starwars.com.

The direct quotes were posted in Dustin's campaign thread and the USCwannabe thread at RS.  Then that Star Wars internet radio show (I forget what the name is) interviewed both candidates, and the USCWannabe guy explained why he told everyone to get a life.  I listened to the whole thing and he came across really poorly.  It's not propaganda, it's straight from the horses's mouth (or the horses's ass).  That guy told everyone to get a life, cussed out anyone who had a problem with him....and seemed like he wanted to win the election so he could get some movie industry contacts.

Great for him, but it didn't endear him to me much.  I'm not saying Dustin's underlying reasons were that much better, but ultimately...yes....I think he deserved to win more.  Sue me.

In the national political arena the little guy has no chance, and I consider that somewhat of a crime... only the well connected have any prayer of getting into the race - to represent the people who aren't well connected, whether they're the best for the job or not.

I absolutely agree, however...this was never an election. It was a magazine sales drive, and whoever sold the most subscriptions won.  It wasn't based on merit, speeches, issues, or anything.  It was how many people you could get to buy something.

Dustin did that quite well.....and for the life of me, I have no idea how USCwannabe even competed with the juggernaut of resources behind Dustin.   The real issue here is it looks like he sold more magazines than Dustin, yet somehow got himself disqualified from winning the prize.

How did he cheat?
What did he do?

I REALLY want to know.  

I still don't see how people can find it within themselves to defend that site knowing all the bull**** that goes on there. It is one big slap in the face.

It's just never been a personal thing for me.  They've never done me wrong.  Yes, they've banned some of my friends and I think those actions suck (I also think the community at large is worse off for that), but think of Rebelscum as a restaurant.  In fact, think of them as the infamous "Soup Kitchen" restaurant in New York.  

Several of you guys once agreed that they had the best soup in town.  You used to go there every week.  Now, some folks either broke the rules in the soup store or pissed off the Soup Nazi, and got themselves banned.   Yeah, it sucks cause you're my friends....but darnit, I still want my jambalaya.  

As soon as there's another site that matches the resources of RS, I'll abandon that place and go where my friends all went....but it just hasn't happened, so I just can't join the hater brigade.

Got Clones?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 14, 2006, 03:59 PM »
 Then that Star Wars internet radio show (I forget what the name is) interviewed both candidates, and the USCWannabe guy explained why he told everyone to get a life.  I listened to the whole thing and he came across really poorly.  It's not propaganda, it's straight from the horses's mouth (or the horses's ass).  That guy told everyone to get a life, cussed out anyone who had a problem with him....and seemed like he wanted to win the election so he could get some movie industry contacts.

I'm confused, are you talking about USCwannabe telling people off on the radio show or Philip doing so on his forums with regularity?   :P  ;) The whole get a life quote is seemingly so popular in the Star Wars world. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline theottomanguy

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 14, 2006, 04:03 PM »
... I find it hard to belive that your just this good semeritain whos running around trying to right this precived wrong. So whats in it for you? I have found in this world that No one goes to this much trouble without something to gain.

I think this is a very valid question to answer that alot of people should have asked befor joining this crusade of yours
Well, right now, it doesn't feel like anyone's much "joined a crusade".  I don't see anyone really doing much of anything but discussing it.   It is valid for you to wonder who I am.  I'm new to all these forums and I've registered from one to the next as I discovered people talking about this.  What I am, is just a normie fan who doesn't usually get involved in fan stuff at all.  But I do read a few of the main sites casually and I was following the contest after renewing my own subscription and a getting a friend to do so in order to get the tee shirt.  Then the other day, I saw the story announcing the win on Rebelscum and I was totally surprised.  So, I decided to click on the little thing that said "forum" to see if there was more information about the whole thing.  That's where it all began for me.

I joined in on that thread and within a few hours, Phil was smacking people around and shutting down and erasing the discussion.  After being mistreated like that just for asking a few questions, I didn't want to just let it drop.  That was totally rude, and this is totally wrong.  Beyond that I don't have anything to gain.  I just hate that I caused $80 to go to this contest just to see that fans get dismissed and hoodwinked.  And just talking about it on a few boards, I'm also seeing what I always suspected: that fandom is kind of insane and there's a lot of incoherent babble to wade through from people who can often barely speak English and may be 12 years old.

So, sorry if I come on too strong, but I can't be the only "silent" fan who doesn't normally post that is offended by how this went.  I'm hoping for the sake of fairness that something like this won't be allowed to happen with so many people looking.  Both Dustin and USCWANNABE are strangers to me.  And Phil is just some guy that treated me like crap on the Internet that seems like a lot of people agree is consistently difficult and unfair on his websites.  That's my story.  I woudn't even be caught ridiculing his physical appearance and such and has gone on earlier in this thread.  I just think he was obnoxious and the whole matter is wrong.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:09 PM by theottomanguy »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #535 on: July 14, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I'm confused, are you talking about USCwannabe telling people off on the radio show or Philip doing so on his forums with regularity?      The whole get a life quote is seemingly so popular in the Star Wars world. 

Very true.

I'm referring to USC's blog entries on the StarWarsblogs (which I saw and which were reposted to Rebelscum before being deleted by StarWars.com) where people were asking "who he was" and "why is he not on the forums?".  He basically flipped out about it.

Yes, I've seen Philip flip out too.  Most recently over the whole Dustin thing.

Personally...I join everyone in wondering why the heck USC was Disqualified.  I just don't share the conspiracy theory that somehow Philip Wise is behind it.  Might as well blame Brians Toys, Scalpers, army builders or some other collector scapegoat icon.
Got Clones?

Offline theottomanguy

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 14, 2006, 04:12 PM »
...Personally...I join everyone in wondering why the heck USC was Disqualified.  I just don't share the conspiracy theory that somehow Philip Wise is behind it.  Might as well blame Brians Toys, Scalpers, army builders or some other collector scapegoat icon.

I don't even question much why USCWANNABE was disqualified, since the rules state that IDG and LFL can do that at will.  And I don't think it's any kind of big conspiracy either.  I just think that Dustin seems clearly ineligible and the win should go to the #3 guy (unless he is disqualified for any reason) or #4 and so on until a rightful winner is certified.  If it's left this way, it basically like IDG and LFL are getting away with fraud for allowing a person who is ineligible by the published rules to win the prize.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:14 PM by theottomanguy »

Offline Gamorrean Jedi

• Youngling
  • a llama bit my sister!
    • View Profile
    • Gamorrean Jedi.com
« Reply #537 on: July 14, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Well theottomanguy you seem on the up an up and  i find that rather surprizing I hope my dyslexic typeing dosen't make you think I'm a 12 year old as I am much much older and far wiser than my dyslexcia allows me to express (much to my frustration) Like I said I will not dis P.Wise for being a sucess all though the way he handels disputes is just a little better than sir steave who is well known for banning anyone that disagrees with him Phill dose much the same but he tends to talk to you first and give you a chance to hangyourself or give a coherent  argument.

I would like to know how DLR won too but I'm not going to hold it against him that he did or assume the he cheated if anyone has the link to USCWANNABE myspace site would they post it as I would like to see what all he has said there befor the contest and after he was DQed.

the one reason I belive that he might have well been a shady charecter is that he had such a lead over DLR considering that he was someone that no one had ever heard of  and he didn't heve the website backing that DLR had, for the record I saw that stupid banner (i wish I had designed it instead) on more sites that just rebelcsum and force.net

I don't think if things were on thew up an up that DLR should loose the titel of prez but I do know that there should be an exsplanation of just what happened,
Seen any Star Wars figures lately? I haven't.
This years running of the Bulls score: Bulls 11, Humans 0 :D

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #538 on: July 14, 2006, 05:38 PM »

As soon as there's another site that matches the resources of RS, I'll abandon that place and go where my friends all went....but it just hasn't happened, so I just can't join the hater brigade.

I'd love to hear what those resources are, exactly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:08 PM by Chris »

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 14, 2006, 06:07 PM »
so I just can't join the hater brigade.

You joined the hater brigade the day you registered over here bub.  :)
I remember my dream now.