Author Topic: A filler piece- 'fanfic' Mandalorian (4/22/06)  (Read 16731 times)

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
  • Objection your honor! The pod race was pretty cool
    • View Profile
Re: Hyou's NJO Corran Horn (Pictures: 4/3/06)
« Reply #30 on: April 5, 2006, 03:41 PM »
The paint job is excellent. I just don't like the head. Its too detailed and Asian looking for the body and character. I take it that is not whistler he is talking to. Isn't his lightsaber blade silver?

I think the head would've turned out alright if I knew how to paint better, lol. I'm thinking of redoing the eyes, because when I put the base coat on, it just looked like a guy squinting to me, so I couldn't paint anything otherwise. Though, looking at the original paint scheme, I think I can redo them so that they're, uh, open? lol.

No, that's not Whistler, it's just my R2-D2, thought it'd make a sufficient interaction prop.

Yes, his lightsaber blade is silver. Like I said in my post, I need to find a way to color a lightsaber without it losing that transluscent effect.

Thanks for the comments, though!
-Matthew H.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 5, 2006, 03:44 PM »
digging the marine.  he'd look really good in some sort of small dio, knee deep in snow or something.  the skirt is a good addition and really looks like it belongs there.  i really like the paint apps/color choice for Corran, and the head is a good choice.  but i'll be damned when i first looked at it i was like oohhh!!! where'd you get the Bruce Willis head.  Is it just me?  Did you paint the head or did he come like that?

LOL!!!

That's the original head sculpt/paint. I totally repainted it, and accidentally shut his eyes, but yeah. He looks exactly like Mr. Bruce-Die-Hard-Willis. Though, after I was done with it, goatee gray hair and all, I thought he sort of ressembled Sean Connery. Hmmm.
-Matthew H.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 6, 2006, 08:04 PM »
cool with a comparison pic between your paint job and the original, it definately gives your custom an extra point in how good it is.  i thought the paint apps on the head were the original, good job once again.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 7, 2006, 09:01 AM »
April 7, 2006

Here are the parts I've used so far for my Jaina Solo as Twin Leader (NJO, around "Rebel Dream" and "Rebel Stand".) I haven't started painting yet, and I also haven't received the head I've chosen, yet. So far, this is the recipe:

POTJ Luke Skywalker Pilot Gear
 - Portions of the legs, trimmed a total of 1/4" to shorten stature.
 - Torso

ROTS Palpatine (Black Outfit, with stun cuffs)
 - One of the boots (remarkably similar to the POTJ Luke boot)
 - Knee articulation

POTJ Imperial Officer
 - Swivel arms, dremmeled to a thinner size to match figure build

Bear with the headless shots. I have the work in progress posed beside a VOTC Leia and VOTC Han for height comparison. (Wookieepedia says Jaina is supposed to be shorter than Leia, but I think that'd be ridiculous in relaiton to the figures. The height data may also be from an earlier era.)
-Matthew H.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Sneak peek at Hyou's NJO Pilot Jaina Solo (Updated 4/7/06)
« Reply #34 on: April 7, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Here's an update of my New Jedi Order era, Jedi Master Corran Horn -- now with EYES! This update is for you, Master_Phruby, lol.

-Matthew H.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Corran Horn w/ eyes + Jaina Pilot Body WIP (4/7)
« Reply #35 on: April 7, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Aaah. Much better. Cool cape. One thing you might want to try is clear plastic rods for a lightsaber. You can buy them at most hobby stores. Then you can give it a tint with some glass paint.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Corran Horn w/ eyes + Jaina Pilot Body WIP (4/7)
« Reply #36 on: April 7, 2006, 09:08 PM »
You know, I just read a thread on Rebel Scum about that, so I'm probably gonna do that tonight if I get done with taxes on time.  ;D When I get my Early Bird kit, I'm probably gonna convert that R2 into a Whistler, despite the era conflict implied by that.
-Matthew H.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Han Solo - New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos
« Reply #37 on: April 9, 2006, 07:50 AM »
April 9, 2006
So, the rest of my Jaina fodder didn't come in today, and I told myself I had to work on something this weekend or I'd go crazy! So, here's this: a work in progress of my Agents of Chaos Han Solo, from The New Jedi Order.

I used to hate the new Saga Han in Carbonite Head cos of how his eyes are looking up all doofy like, but on this longer neck, the chin can tilt way down, and he looks like he's leering at you. Now if that's not the face of a man who just lost his best friend, I don't know what is. Of course, I'll be painting this and probably adding a belt and holster before It's done. The repaint will include the head, with all the aging that 25 years oughta do to a man.

Recipe:
Saga Collection - Han in Carbonite - head, hands, part of torso, and upper legs, upper neck/balljoint

21st Century: Battle at the Bulge guy - torso dremeled out for a jacket, lower arms

ROTS Palpatine (Captured in Cuffs) - Shoulder articulation, lower legs, upper part of torso for the "mandarin" collar, and neck peg.

[image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/hyouriittai/solonjo03.jpg[/image]
 [image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/hyouriittai/solonjo02.jpg[/image]
 [image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/hyouriittai/solonjo01.jpg[/image]

-Matthew H.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Hyou's NJO Han Solo (WIP) April 09, 2006
« Reply #38 on: April 9, 2006, 08:31 AM »
Change the "image" to "img" and I think the photos will show up in line.

Interesting mix of parts, I think the mesh together pretty well.  I'm not a big fan of the XD soldier arms as I think the joints look a little "funny" but they seem to be okay on this one.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #39 on: April 9, 2006, 10:03 AM »
WOW, Hyou - that is so cool looking! The jacket is awesome! Only thing I might change is the upper arms- they seem a bit skinny...

Other than that, He looks VERY realistic!

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Han Solo - New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos
« Reply #40 on: April 9, 2006, 10:49 AM »
April 9, 2006
So, the rest of my Jaina fodder didn't come in today, and I told myself I had to work on something this weekend or I'd go crazy! So, here's this: a work in progress of my Agents of Chaos Han Solo, from The New Jedi Order.

I used to hate the new Saga Han in Carbonite Head cos of how his eyes are looking up all doofy like, but on this longer neck, the chin can tilt way down, and he looks like he's leering at you. Now if that's not the face of a man who just lost his best friend, I don't know what is. Of course, I'll be painting this and probably adding a belt and holster before It's done. The repaint will include the head, with all the aging that 25 years oughta do to a man.

Recipe:
Saga Collection - Han in Carbonite - head, hands, part of torso, and upper legs, upper neck/balljoint

21st Century: Battle at the Bulge guy - torso dremeled out for a jacket, lower arms

ROTS Palpatine (Captured in Cuffs) - Shoulder articulation, lower legs, upper part of torso for the "mandarin" collar, and neck peg.

Fixed pics for ya, Hyo.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 9, 2006, 01:07 PM »
I've been admiring your work, and that Han is looking outstanding.  The jacket really is a perfect look for him.  I can't wait to see this masterpiece complete.   :)

:)

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 9, 2006, 03:18 PM »
BrentS
Thanks alot for the kind words. Yeah, you know, those XD arms are really awkward, but since I used their respective torso (the dremeled out jacket), I think you may be right, they might just work well for this piece. The angle of the elbow let's me put Han in this really cool gun slinger pose, like he's about to quickdraw on someone. I've never really been able to get that arm pose out of even a balljointed Star Wars fig, so I'm kind of happy about that!

Thanks for the advice on the image tags! I usually do change 'em, but last night the server was down hereat JD or something, so I was kind of in a rush and frustrated. Despite all that, I appreciate your help. It looks like D_N took care of it for me, though.  ;D

Pendragon
Hey there! Yeah, that was one major concern for me, the upper arm skinniness. The shoulders are exactoed off of the Supreme Chancellor Palpatine arms, so they are a little mismatched, but to tell the truth, I measured them up (excluding balljoint) with the XD arms (whose lower parts I used) and they are about the same thickness. The balljoint extends in, and sits inside the jacket arm hole, so it can actually get clearance and connect with the original torso sockets, so I think the thinness helps in functionality for the balljoint. I'm glad you like this, though!

Darth_Nirvana
Aw dude, you're a pal. Thanks for fixing that for me!

Chewie
Thanks Chewie, that means alot to me coming from you. as when I first got into customizing, I've always looked up to your creative use of materials, and especially your awesome paint jobs. I really appreciate that comment!

Now, the tricky part is painting this bugger. He's got tons of joints!
« Last Edit: April 9, 2006, 03:27 PM by hyouriittai »
-Matthew H.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 9, 2006, 05:39 PM »
These are, quite frankly, amazing. The work involved in these is daunting, but you're pulling them off extremely well. Makes me want to get more experimental with my customs.

The Han is a favorite...I love how the jacket is turning out. Can't wait to see it finished.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2006, 02:22 PM »
W :o W!!!!! That Han is friggin awesome!!! You my freind are quickly becoming one of my favorite customisers. Im going to borrow this Im heading to Wally World to get that tanker as we speak.

Did you sculpt his hair because it looks different? Excellent job.