Author Topic: A filler piece- 'fanfic' Mandalorian (4/22/06)  (Read 16730 times)

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
  • Objection your honor! The pod race was pretty cool
    • View Profile
Re: Hyou's NJO Han Solo (WIP) April 09, 2006
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2006, 04:24 PM »
W :o W!!!!! That Han is friggin awesome!!! You my freind are quickly becoming one of my favorite customisers. Im going to borrow this Im heading to Wally World to get that tanker as we speak.

Did you sculpt his hair because it looks different? Excellent job.

Nope, that'd be the factory sculpt. Like I wsa saying, I never really liked this head sculpt until I popped it onto this custom-in-progress, and WOW it really did the job! Now that it's painted, I can't wait to finiish off the joints and apply some sealer. I'm relaly anxious to post the final product! Thanks for the comment, Ennis!
-Matthew H.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Hyou's NJO Han Solo (WIP) April 09, 2006
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2006, 11:35 PM »
Here he is, folks, more or less done. Except, the holster on his waist is from the Elite Force line, acting as a peg warmer until I get another VOTC Han Solo Holster.

So, this is my rendition of Han during Agents of Chaos, the New Jedi Order book where he goes on a depression trip due to the death of a close friend. the whole series, if you ask me, looks like a funeral cos everyone's wearing black.

there are some obvious botches where the paint chipped, but I thought i could disguise it as weathering without anyone knowing. Oops, the cat's out of the bag!

Recap on parts:
Saga Collection Han in Carbonite:
Head, hands, upper legs, neckpost, lower torso

ROTS Palpatine (Captive):
Lower legs, upper torso, shoulder articulation

Ultimate Soldier: Battle at the Bulge airborne soldier:
Arms, torso (hollowed out for jacket)

Bread tie and scrap plastic painted silver:
chest "strap"

scrap plastic:
right-side buckles

staple pieces:
left side hooks
-Matthew H.

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Hyou's NJO Han Solo April 10, 2006 (MOE Done)
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2006, 12:21 AM »
totally reminds me of starbuck from the origional battle star galaxtica series, looks good!

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: Hyou's NJO Han Solo April 10, 2006 (Done, more or less)
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2006, 05:30 PM »
Yeah, he kinda does remind me of Starbuck too. I may have to remember that too. He looks excellent. I cant wait to start my own. Im in the process of making a NJO line of figs myself. Master Luke is first up. ( but only because those are the only peices that I had on hand) ;D its just near impossible to find decent pics of the characters.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2006, 06:09 PM »
I looked up Starbuck (never really watched Battlestar Galactica, the original), and you're both right, the ressemblance of the jacket is almost uncanny.

I can't wait to get to my Luke; I think I'm going to use the artist rendition on the cover of Force Heretic I. Reason is, I like the whole New Jedi look, as opposed to the prequel era implication that all Jedi wear brown robes, etc. (though I know Luke does wear this sort of attire ceremoniously, I think his field dress would be slightly more practical.) This adds a bit more variety to the designs, as I'll be making several Jedi figs for my NJO line. At the same time, I don't want to just add a few snippets here and there to the already established black ROTJ outfit, as cool as it is.

I know, isn't it ridiculous how hard it is to get source photos? The best sources I've found, though, have been the Japanese covers of the books. Type in a google search of "new jedi order japanese covers" and you should come up with theForce.net's page dedicated to the art.
-Matthew H.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2006, 07:31 AM »
Mate Very well done the WIP pics are very useful and teh final figure came out great I like the face painting apps as well very simple and very effective well done.

Ron

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: A taste of things to come - Hyou's NJO line
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Thanks Ron, I appreciate the comment!

On another note, I think I've found the Mara Jade and Luke renditions that I'd like to do for my NJO line:
URLName
-Matthew H.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2006, 10:19 AM »
Hey man, how do you paint those eyes so clear? Do you use like a special brush or something?
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2006, 11:51 AM »
Yeah, those eyes look absolutely fantastic, Hyou.  I never would have guessed they were hand-painted!  How DO you do it?

I'm looking forward to see what you do with that Pilot Jaina too -- the added articulation looks like it will be a wonderful touch, and I haven't seen anyone use the VOTC Leia head before (though it certainly looks girlish enough to work).  Very cool indeed!

... the Findswoman

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2006, 03:31 PM »
You know, the eyes gave me a world of trouble. It took some "stamping" of paint, using a toothpick with a slightly truncated tip for the irises, while I used my very fine tip brust to paint the whites in. In addition to brown irises, it's not visible, but I also put little black pupils in the middle of the brown using a pin tip. I had to touch the eyes up a little by adding some flesh tone to either the top or bottom, so Han didn't look so doll-face, wide-eyed. Definitely a nerve-wrecking process for me.

I'm glad you guys like how it turned out though!
-Matthew H.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: A taste of things to come - POTF2 Red 5 X-Wing remodel!! 4/15
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2006, 01:53 PM »
April 15, 2006

Here's a POTF2 Red 5 X-Wing that I'm converting into Jaina Solo's XJ-3 X-Wing from the New Jedi Order. First, I gutted out the electronics (I hated to see them go.. maybe sometime, when I'm more electronically savvy, I'll be able to re-connect the lights to a new battery power source), as well as the permenant R2-D2 and Luke bust, with a little help from Han:

So far, I've added some "details" to the cockpit, although they're not accurate. I just wanted there to be more depth to the controls and stuff than some rinky-dinky decals. There are some styrene strips awaiting painting, some wires on the rear wall, and a make-shift flight stick that I made from a piece of the ROTS Gran senator's blaster:

I forgot to photograph the inside-inside, to show how I fixed everything up to accomodate a full 3 3/4 pilot after removing the bust of Luke. I basically used a dremel cutting tool on some parts to make more room, remove big chunks of plastic, etc. and dremel-grinded the excess and rough edges down as best as I can (it's a sloppy job, it looks like.) I added styrene platforms for Han to sit on, so he didnt fall through and get lost inside the starfighter's hull!:

I also took out that sad-excuse for an R2 unit (really, just the dome.) and added more room and such for a full 3 3/4 scale R2:

The hardest parts seem to be over! Now that's team work, guys; high five!:

-Matthew H.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2006, 02:02 PM »
High 5, lol wow you certainly are taking on quite a challlenge. Cant wait to see it done.

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2006, 04:46 PM »
Great lookin Han Custom,

With a little Alteration this Custom Would Make a Sweet
BattleStar Custom.

Good Looking Stuff Keep it UP.
Fritzkrieg

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2006, 01:08 AM »
April 16, 2006
More updates on the XJ-3 X-Wing for my Jaina custom (WIP.) First, you can see that I finished painting the interior. Like I said before, not accurate, but I thought that it'd give some environmental life to the cockpit that the dull, cartoony details couldn't:

Here are some shots of what I did on the inside of the hull to house both pilot and astromech figure. The housing on the right is for the astromech, while the floor boards on the left are for the pilot:

Lastly, here are some shots of the hull put back together:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 01:09 AM by hyouriittai »
-Matthew H.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
Re: Jaina's XJ-3 X-Wing WIP (interior paint update) 4/16/06
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2006, 01:34 AM »
Mate that is coming along really well the interior looks great this is going to be one great custom when completed.

Ron