Author Topic: A filler piece- 'fanfic' Mandalorian (4/22/06)  (Read 16836 times)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: Jaina's XJ-3 X-Wing WIP (interior paint update) 4/16/06
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2006, 10:39 AM »
This is looking great so far. I love the fact that Han is actually doing all the work. ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2006, 11:31 AM »
Whoa!  Way out of my league but really fun to see.  This is looking excellent, great pics so far.

:)

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Lol, love those pics of Han. So what kind of Paints are you using on your X-wing? Just regular acrylics of something special? Did you do the battle damage on the rear engine? If so how? I'd really like to modify my old X-wing too... :)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2006, 01:22 PM »
Hyo, Man, i'm mad i missed Han for so long. Great finish on that NJO han.
I love the details put into his cloths.
Your X-wing is shaping up nicely, but i have to say i LOVE that you have han fixing it up for her.
Great pics.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2006, 04:28 PM »
I really like that NJO Han Solo.  The parts work very well but I think the best part is the use of that jacket.  It looks perfect.  I might have to try that in the future.

Nice work on that X-Wing so far.  I love the photo-recipe w/Han and R2!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Loving the updates to the X-Wing.  You need to get Chewie and that treadwell droid to help out too!

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
  • Objection your honor! The pod race was pretty cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Hey, thanks everyone for your comments, especially on the Han custom as I thought he just got lost amidst all the updates. It's all very appreciated!

Lestat, I haven't painted the exterior quite yet, though I am going to remove all the decals (decals are neat, but sometimes tacky :/) and paint the entire exterior a glossy white, as that's what Jaina's XJ-3 was supposed to be painted in the New Jedi Order book Rebel Dream (or Stand?).

I think I will be picking up some acrylic spray to quicken the process, which brings me to my question: is there such a thing? I looked around Wal-Mart's craft section and couldn't find any spray acrylics, and I went to their designated paint/spray paint section, and the one brand that stood out to me was Krylon's FUSION paints, which are apparently made for plastic.

Any thoughts, folks?

Again, thanks for the great feedback!
-Matthew H.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2006, 05:02 PM »
I've never used the Fusion paints myself, but I've gotten mixed reviews for them. the majority of the reviews were bad. Id suggest testing the paint on something first. I'd hate for you ruin all your hard work by using the wrong paint.

Anybody else had any luck with these paints?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2006, 05:08 PM »
I asked about Acrylic Fusion awhile back (it may have even been over at Galactic Hunter), the general consensus was that the spray acrylics don't work that well (on figures).  They may work on vehicles.

I've had some success with using an airbrush with acrylic paints.  I painted up a custom Gunship and sprayed on much of the blue parts using an airbrush.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2006, 05:10 PM »
An airbrush would be ideal, but alas, I don't have the money for one yet. (I'd rather get a decent one with a compressor, than one of those cheesy aersol can airbrushes).

What sorts of spray acrylics are out there? Really, my main concern is the paint being plastic-safe.
-Matthew H.

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2006, 02:13 PM »
I tried to post this earlier but the computer was fighting me for some reason. Games workshop makes white spray on primer which works very well for plastics. I used them to repaint a couple of evolutions sand troopers and it worked out great. I use their spray primer for any project that uses alot of white (I also used them for a Captain Britain I did a while back). You should be able to buy a can at the Games Workshop store at the mall. The cans are usually under the shelf with the smaller paints. If you don't have access to one you might be able to get the spray primer from their website  GamesWorkshopsite I hope this helps, they have gray spray primer as well as white.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Well, you can get a decent aorbrush set with a compressor in the model section at Wally World. I think its about 80 bucks, but it is nice. Hey, there is always lay away. I already had a previous compressor, so I bought one of the 20 dollar airbrushes, that is pretty much what I use on all my customs.

Since I customise on the cheap, I get just about everything from walmart. The paint I use is acrylic craft paint watered down.The Airbrush kit came with instructions on how to do so. The aresol can isnt a pain to work with at all. Its roughly the same as using a can of spray paint. And its very useful to practice with.

I also got a 20 dollar dremmel from walmart too. ;D If nothing else, its definately something to look into.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2006, 05:12 AM »
Here are some new WIP shots of my Jaina Solo from New Jedi Order. I used the cover girl head, despite all of my instincts telling me to save it for my Mara customs, though I trimmed the hair to make it about Jaina length and painted it a dark brown, along with her eyebrows. I also gave her flesh the same tone I used on my Han, and brown irises (maybe they were already brown?) just because I had to paint over em, anyway.

I hope the face paint isnt too messy. I was having some problems.

I couldn't resist putting her side by side with her father, despite the fact that she isn't done yet:

"Jaina, I don't care what your mom says, but your Uncle Luke is obviously a bad influence!"=

-Matthew H.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
Re: Jaina Solo - New Jedi Order - (4/20/06)
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2006, 06:30 AM »
Gday mate

Jaina is coming along great and trust me when I say that you have done a great job on the face very expertly done.

Ron

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Jaina Solo - New Jedi Order - (4/20/06)
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2006, 08:04 AM »
Looks great.  I was going to comment on the lack of hands but I see that Han has already brought that up!

Looks like Covergirl is everyone's new favorite female head :)  I know I've picked up one and may get another one!