Author Topic: Which Paints Work Best for Microman Customs  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
Which Paints Work Best for Microman Customs
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:37 PM »
I got a few Lady Micromen figs today, and I'd like to get started customizing them. Unfortunately I don't know What Kind of Paint Would Allow them Full Articulation w/out Chipping or peeling...It 'd be kind of Pointless if I Customized them and Had to leave them Static. Can someone help me out here.
Fritzkrieg

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: Which Paints Work Best for Microman Customs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 12:16 AM »
Citadel Paints my friend, accept no substitutes  ;)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:19 AM »
Hey there Fritzkrieg,

I do not know much about this figure except from what I have seen everyone else’s customs, but I do know a thing or two about painting plastics. If this figure is like a styrene type of plastic like model cars and such, then enamel paints would be the best. Durable and they bond well with styrene. If the figure were more like Hasbro action figures, injected molded, then acrylic paints would be the best. It’s a bit flexible and will bond ok with the plastic. Now as for chipping, any playing or using the custom with the any paint job, will have natural paint chipping. Even the store bought toys are not immune to chipping. Even though a paint company says their paints bond with plastic, they do not specify what type of plastic their product has been tested for.

I hope this helps,

Jedi_Master_Ben

"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:23 AM »
Tamyia rocks. The nice thing about Micromen is that you can take them almost completely apart and paint each joint separately. I found once the paint is dry, it doesn't chip with this plastic. The only suggestion is don't make the paint too thick or the joints will be too tight.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:22 AM »
I use GW paints a little but the best paints I founf are great for plastic's are Vallejo and Reaper Miniatures paints can't go wrong at all trust me ;D

Also to stop chipping that's if you want to platy with your figures use a dab of super glue on the joints it will stop it for sure.

Ron

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Yah, and it will stop the joint too.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 10:48 AM »
I use GW paints a little but the best paints I founf are great for plastic's are Vallejo and Reaper Miniatures paints can't go wrong at all trust me ;D

Also to stop chipping that's if you want to platy with your figures use a dab of super glue on the joints it will stop it for sure.

Ron

Ron, I was doing some searching on the net and found two varieties of Reaper and Vallejo.  Do you use Reaper "Master" or "Pro" lines of paints.  What about Vallejo "Game" or "Model" paint versions.   If you know, any thoughts on the differences in these paints?

Thanks for the input!

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 01:50 PM »
HI Guys

BrentS - Reaper Pro and Vallejo Model paints

Master_Phruby - Use a toooth pick and use just a very very very small amount I use it on all my figure joints and it's never siezed up the joints.

Ron

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 06:44 AM »
Ok, I went to my local comic Shop last night, they cary a wide selection of Reaper Minature Paints, So, I picked Up a couple to Try. The Paint Scratched off very easily off the Test Micolady Head I painted. I did not see any type of Spray on Primer. I assume everyone using the Reaper Paints has to Prime the Figure first? There is a Hobby Shop that carries a lot of Model Paints in my area, but there buisness Hrs are kind of inconvienent, so I won't get a chance to Check there Paints out till next Week. Do the Citedel Paints need a Primer Base first?
Fritzkrieg

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 07:15 AM »
Fritz- I've never had to give any of the figures a prime before I start to paint them I do wash them first thou to get rid of any residue and once there painted I give them a spray of dull coate.

As for the scratching if you don't have any primer use ladies hair spray but stand back about 60-90cm and give the body a quick light spray the hair spray will act as a primer.

Ron

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 09:21 AM »
I don't usually prime with my citadel paints.  However, I know that others do.  Having said that, I still have problems with paint chipping from joints.

Offline Errex

• Youngling
  • Gra'tua Cuun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Joints can be tricky, even primed. What I do is lightly sand part of the joint most likely to get chipped with very fine grit sandpaper. It gives the plastic a slightly rough surface to which the paint clings to as well, if not better, than to primer.

I did that to the shoulder joints of my custom 501st  Clone, and paint has held nicely, even though I didn't prime the piece, nor applied dullcote to it.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 06:00 PM »
I prime most of my figures, but that's just because I think the paint looks smoother that way.  It does help a bit with chipping, but it really depends on the figure.  Like I said before, none of my microman joints have chipped yet (knock on wood), but I doubt that has anything to do with my priming the figures first.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.