Author Topic: Battle of Coruscant Wave  (Read 62746 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Coruscant Wave
« Reply #330 on: March 21, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Mostly because the cardback on the other side is generic as well. 

The complication is a language requirement we have  here for merchandise to be labeled in both official languages of Canada, English and French.  To get around that Hasbro manufactures the tri-logo or tri-language cards with English, French and Spanish to sell in Canada and Mexico.  The cardback is generic by wave and the back of the card will not have figure specific information on it, rather a picture of other "available" figures.  That way they only need to print a single cardback for each wave (or in the case of OTC, a single cardback) which is considerably cheaper. 

$$
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #331 on: March 21, 2006, 02:08 PM »
I thought it was because they were afraid all the bright colors on the US movie scene cards would over stimulate the Canadians?    :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 21, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Mostly because the cardback on the other side is generic as well.

The complication is a language requirement we have here for merchandise to be labeled in both official languages of Canada, English and French. To get around that Hasbro manufactures the tri-logo or tri-language cards with English, French and Spanish to sell in Canada and Mexico. The cardback is generic by wave and the back of the card will not have figure specific information on it, rather a picture of other "available" figures. That way they only need to print a single cardback for each wave (or in the case of OTC, a single cardback) which is considerably cheaper.

$$

Thanks, that makes sense.

In other words, the production runs aren't big enough to warrant custom cardbacks.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 21, 2006, 10:17 PM »
Ayup, market's too small basically.  I understand the economics and frankly they're kind of interesting.  As before, I completely understand the notion of wanting the scene specific background because they are really nice.  But a wall of the Canadian cardbacks on a wall looks really uniform but for the figures and creates quite a nice, uniform look.  I see the appeal there. 

I thought it was because they were afraid all the bright colors on the US movie scene cards would over stimulate the Canadians?    :-X

No, no, only hockey does that.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #334 on: March 22, 2006, 12:03 AM »
I found these guys at Target today.  No Muftak jedi (who I really wanted) but one each of everyone else, including Cody, who I got.  Mine has trouble standing up.  It's the lack of ankle joints and the wide stance of the legs.  There are so many great things about this figure -- the helmet fits perfect, no more big puffy flimsy plastic removable helmet -- the articulation is fair, but man.  Hasbro cuts corners in the silliest places. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #335 on: March 22, 2006, 01:56 AM »
Hmmm, one more disliker of the ankle joint...  Jared's movement against Cody gains momentum.  I'm intrigued to get him now and see if it bugs me...

Might be able to fix it some with a "Boil & Freeze" technique from customizing if people are so inclined.  If I find it to be bothersome and try that, I'll make sure to drop a note about it here with a brief "how-to" so others can if they want to.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 22, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I found these guys at Target today.

Nice score Spuffy - especially at Target's 'nicer' price.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 22, 2006, 12:09 PM »
Well, be grateful that you are all seeing the Coruscant wave. It hasn't hit in Utah yet at either Target or Walmarts, despite hitting all around us. Guess its our turn to be last.
I'll be glad to get the 2 Cody's, Foul and the Obi Wan and Anakin (my son wants Obi Wan and Anakin and 1 Cody). 
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2006, 01:53 AM »
Yeah buying for kids adds a whole new ****storm to it all...  I gotta get a Cody for one of the boys. 

Finding him Jango was a pain.  he just got it the other day because we happened to see him while we were out.  I'd gotten him a preview one a while back, but he wanted the Kamino one that is shipping now... 

And god bless him he complained about the ****** articulation on it!  :)  My pride just swelled.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 24, 2006, 10:28 PM »
I wonder how many variants and corrected versions of Cody we're going to see. You know the routine they pulled with Bly, Gree and the Tac Ops (were there others?). I notice his little antenna thing on the right of the helmet should be black. Some have complained the gray marks near the mouth should be black. I've found a screw-up in paint already, with gray paint missing over the black band that goes horizontally around the helm's back side.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 10:29 PM by Ook »

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2006, 07:32 PM »
Yeah buying for kids adds a whole new ****storm to it all...  I gotta get a Cody for one of the boys. 

Finding him Jango was a pain.  he just got it the other day because we happened to see him while we were out.  I'd gotten him a preview one a while back, but he wanted the Kamino one that is shipping now... 

And god bless him he complained about the ****** articulation on it!  :)  My pride just swelled.
Like father like son? :P
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2006, 04:08 AM »
Well then, we all know about commander Cody and the repaint of the "Utapau clone trooper".
How many are you guys getting?
Is there anything I should look out for?
And does anybody know anything that is bad about Cody?
I am getting 2 Utapau clones on the weekend and a Cody, I am wondering if there is anything wrong with codys paint applications like in the JD Photo Gallery he has a blotch on his nose, is this common or a mistake?
I am sorry if I didnt have to start up a new thread on this.

Thanks alot, Clone Commander.

Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
"This is the way."

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2006, 01:20 PM »
Oh...oops sorry.   :-[
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2006, 04:05 PM »
The noses are likely scuffed from the helmets going on and off. Gotta be careful with your toys. :-X I bought a Cody with a paint error on the helmet. They forgot to paint gray over the black band that goes around the back of it.

As to your army-building questions, I've got 5 troopers and I'm done. But I do hope to add 2 beehivers to the battalion. :D