Author Topic: April's Custom Challenge/Group Projects.  (Read 8770 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
April's Custom Challenge/Group Projects.
« on: March 28, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Since March is winding down, do we need to agree on a Group Project and Monthly Challenge for April.  I'm pretty sure we talked about doing imperials for one of them. 

However, I was wondering if anyone else wanted to follow the guantlet that Chewie laid down and make a cusom figure out of Ephant Mon:

Spectre also has a great Mon Custom:

Given the "rarity" of Ephant, this may be cost prohibitive and not very popular, but I thought I'd at least throw it out there.  I've been thinking about doing one ever since Chewie first showed us the headless Mon.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 05:19 PM by BrentS »

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: April's Custom Challenge/Group Projects.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 06:48 PM »
You butchered a Jurassic Park figure?! :o

Damn you! :-*

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I say we do the imperial officer/ trooper as a group project. I think there will be a problem doing the Ephant Mon custom for lack of avalibilty of the base figure. Heck, I do not even own a carded version let a lone a loose one.  How about a gladiator custom for the monthly custom chalenge. The entries could be fan based, from the cartoon clone wars, the creaturs on the chess table, from the video games (Bounty Hunter had a gladiator sequence between to alien creatures), other expanded universe sources, ect.  Another example I saw on e-bay a few months age, someone dressed up clone troopers with spikes and chainmail and other armor and weapons. They were pretty good, kind of like the clone troopers fighting in the roman collosim games. Of course, the best part, there would be endless supplies of resources to hunt down for each custom. Thats my two cents.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 11:27 PM »
I think there will be a problem doing the Ephant Mon custom for lack of avalibilty of the base figure. Heck, I do not even own a carded version let a lone a loose one. 

Like I said originally, I thought this might be cost prohibitive.  I ended up with three of these guys (won two auctions the same weekend when I thought I'd loose one).  I wanted an opener to go with my carded one.  I've since pretty much opened every figure I own so now I'm thinking of creative ways to use an Ephant. 

I do like the Gladiator idea too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:39 PM »
Doing another Ephant Mon custom for me is something I could do, I'm sure I could get another Ephant Mon for a fair price online.  I think Imperials is what most people were leaning towards for April, but to be honest I'm up for anything.  Imperials is one thing I think maybe has been overdone a bit over the years however. 

The Gladiator idea is kind of cool too, I like how that opens up a lot of ideas.  Remember in the Clone Wars cartoon all the aliens that Ventress fought in Gladiator-type area?  That is pretty cool and I think lends itself to a ton of creativity.

Maybe using the Ephant Mon body would be better suited to a Group Project, as fewer people usually enter those because they are usually a little more specific? 

But I don't really care, whatever it is, I'm up for it.

:P

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 11:52 PM »

Maybe using the Ephant Mon body would be better suited to a Group Project, as fewer people usually enter those because they are usually a little more specific? 

But I don't really care, whatever it is, I'm up for it.

I'm still trying to sort out the Group project vs Monthly Challenge, thats why I suggested it for either the Group Project or the monthly challenge.  In my mind, its just two different custom themes that I have to focus on.  I know in the past the Group Project tried to focus on one character so maybe the Custom Ephant is "out of scope"

Just throwing some ideas out there  ;D ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 12:46 AM »
No problem Brent, I love your ideas.  The difference between the two projects as defined by... nobody, is as follows -

Customizing Challenge - A type of character is chosen, usually a very broad range of choices, typically a fan-fiction design up to the individual customizer.  Most entries end up being very different from one another.  Usually more of a parts swapping creation with repainting.  Generally an easier project due to a more relaxed set of criteria.

Group Project - A specific character is decided upon, usually a scene specific outfit that tries to replicate a movie character as close as possible to film footage.  Most customizers use similar parts in creating the character but quite often sculpting is required along with parts swapping and repainting.  Generally the more difficult project due to the more specific requirements.

I guess that's how I'd describe them at least... at least what the difference is in my eyes at least.  And I love both projects.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 01:17 AM »
That's exactly it Chewie. One is very strick and specific (group project) while the other is very broad but within a theme (customizing challange).

I havn't really thought about a group project for April. I'm open for suggestions. I have time to do both but I think the majority of the time I have will be dedicated to casting the twins and Scorch for the Microman custom.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:16 AM »
Gladiators yeah :D that will be awesome. I don't know what I would do for it since I'm limited in fodder.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:10 AM »
How about a character we havn't seen given much play recently like Admiral Daala, Guri or Mara Jade? Maybe the Solo twins or Yuuzhan Vong from NJO?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 01:14 PM »
Solo Twins... I think I like idea!

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 01:53 PM »
I am up for the Admiral Daala as the group project. I made one a long time ago, like back in 1997, man. I would like to revisit her as my entry. Or, how about that female sith twe'lik that I have seen pictures of floating arround the forum. She would be fun to do.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Im diggn the gladiator, i might do this one and come out of my brief depression caused retirement for a few days for this. Ive got a good idea for this.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 04:21 PM »
I am up for the Admiral Daala as the group project. I made one a long time ago, like back in 1997, man. I would like to revisit her as my entry.

My sentiments exactly... I would love to revisit my admiral Dalla as well as finish my ysanne isard started 1 and a half years ago. This will give me an oportunity to kill two birds.

Imperials for the chalenge or Dalla for the Group Project.... Eitehr way i get to finish these... ;D

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 04:50 PM »
It seems the Yuuzhan Vong are just screaming for a custom challange since you can make them look anyway you want as long as they are pale and scared up.

How about the Yuuzhan Vong for the Challange and Daala/Solo Twins for the Group Project?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 04:52 PM by Master_Phruby »