Author Topic: SirStevesGuide Goes Belly Up  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
SirStevesGuide Goes Belly Up
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Got this mail...

I am sad to say that due to irreconcilable differences between myself and ACTION Online (who hosts and owns the domain), I have to part with my own creation, "SirStevesGuide.com". I started the site back in 1995 as a collector and joined with ACTION Online in 1999, who now owns all the rights to it (it was the best decision at the time to keep the site going). SirStevesGuide.com has always been a team effort from fellow collectors, the staff, the mods and I appreciate all the support I have received over the years. This is not the end of "SirSteve", just the end of me running "SirStevesGuide.com". I will be starting a new site devoted to everything Action Figures and Collectibles rather than just Star Wars and run by collectors, for collectors. I have no idea what is to become of the domain "SirStevesGuide.com" or who will be running it (if anyone). I know I have not been the most active "forum" user but maintaining the site takes a lot of time. I have done everything from the graphics, web design, content, photography and so on which take a great deal of time. That's why I have trusted staff members to take care of the forums. I hate for it to come down like this but it will be for the best in the end. I have met a lot of great people while doing this and I would not trade it for anything.

So one of the older sites bites the dust...  "SirSteve" starting something new then...  That's gotta suck being overtaken by another site and it not going how you wish...  Sounds somewhat familiar though doesn't it?  *cough*CSW/RS*cough*

SSG was one of the first sites I visited many moons ago before I posted online...  Then CSW I finally opened up and started talking.  I'm not sentimental about SSG's demise, I just thought it was somewhat interesting.  I can't imagine it'll stay open so I'm assuming it'll go kaput here.

Times are a changin'... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: SirStevesGuide Goes Belly Up
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:15 AM »
Inside word is that his cousin is the one behind the takeover.

Don't tell anyone.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 01:13 AM »
Never really loved the site, but when I thought there might be more to a story, I went there looking around, especially approaching Episode 3. I'll miss it, kinda nostalgic.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:30 AM »
Sir Steve's was the first star wars site I stumbled across, back in about 1997 - I was in highschool... for many years it was the only place I got my news from.  Ironically I found out about other sites (starting with Rebelscum) from checking out his links section...

Of course, I haven't used that in at least the last 3 years...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:22 AM »

Don't tell anyone.

Zing!

I actually didn't visit SSG much over the years after I moved on to CSW and started actually posting on a forum...  I didn't get active at SSG's community, just read stuff.  The site had declined a bit in content I felt, but still it was something "there" that I was surprised to see just up and capsize like this...  Oh well, it's bound to happen really...  I'm not sure that starting a NEW place up is a great idea...  It's a lot of work and of course he knows that himself, it just seems not worth starting from scratch here in with the line on the decline ultimately...  Whatever though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:35 AM »
Sir Steve's was the first star wars site I stumbled across, back in about 1997 - I was in highschool... for many years it was the only place I got my news from.  Ironically I found out about other sites (starting with Rebelscum) from checking out his links section...

Of course, I haven't used that in at least the last 3 years...

That's almost my same exact story, except the High School part. And Change 1997 to 2000, when I got my first computer.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:37 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:04 AM »
My Star Wars board history has a chapter of posting at SSG...when the old Tomart boards went the way of the dodo (in large part due to the work of Bill Cosby) I moved over to SSG

Posted there all the way through the great ISE mass exodus over to Collectstarwars...SSG is where I got to know and love Greg(g)

RIP SSG :'(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Its too bad to see things go out the way it is sounding, with him losing a site of his own like this.  SirStevesGuide was the first place I found on the net as well, although I didn't really post on the forums much if at all back then.  I then migrated to CSW, then to RS, then to GH, and finally settled in here at JD.  I remember a time when it seemed like SirSteve got a lot of the early photos and scoops on upcoming stuff.  I wonder if the site itself will keep going or not.  Best of luck to SirSteve in his new site or whatever else is on the horizon.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Well all good things must come to an end.  :(
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 01:40 PM »
My Star Wars board history has a chapter of posting at SSG...when the old Tomart boards went the way of the dodo (in large part due to the work of Bill Cosby) I moved over to SSG

I'm proud to say that I never once made SSG my home.  I've checked it out a few times over the years, sure, but to me, the guy was, is, and always will be a scumbag, and I've never wanted anything to do with him or his site. 
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 03:19 PM »

I'm proud to say that I never once made SSG my home.  I've checked it out a few times over the years, sure, but to me, the guy was, is, and always will be a scumbag, and I've never wanted anything to do with him or his site. 

Thats the exact same way I am. That whole scalping thing with him made me lose all respect for him and his site.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 03:24 PM »
I used to use SSG.com once in a while for news but never logged onto the forums there.  YakFace.com used to be my go-to web site for all my news back in the days of EP1.  I don't remember when I came across RS.com.

Never used CSW.com but I wish I had.  IIRC that's where a lot of the vintage guys ended up after abandoning USENET. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 09:10 PM »

That whole scalping thing with him made me lose all respect for him and his site.

That's exactly why I stopped visiting the site.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 09:49 PM »

Don't tell anyone.

Where is the little icon/smiley of the guy laying on the floor in a laughing convulsion?  Because this is what I meant to put in this message.

Thanks for making my day and bringing back some memories.  ;D

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Where is the little icon/smiley of the guy laying on the floor in a laughing convulsion?  Because this is what I meant to put in this message.

Ask and ye shall receive:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:12 AM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)