Author Topic: Colored Stormtroopers?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Colored Stormtroopers?
« on: March 29, 2006, 03:10 PM »
I was thinking about this when news of the Shadow Stormtrooper info surfaced. Hypothetically.  What if the OT was made during this day and age.  With marketing such a cash cow, would OT Stormtroopers come in 20 different flavors just like Clones of the PT?  The person who came up with the idea was a marketing genius.

Though it would never happen.  What if Lucas digitized different colors on the Stormtroopers in an upcoming release to tie the two eras together?  Wouldnt that be a real pisser for us collectors?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Colored Stormtroopers?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:31 PM »
I've wondered that before too.  Although I do like a number of the clonetroopers we've gotten, I think personally I prefer the more "simplistic" Original Trilogy.  I was thinking about something along the same lines as this the other day, how different the trilogies are.  When displaying OT figures, although you can seperate them by movie you can put them all together and it looks fine as well.  The main characters are the same, look relatively the same aside from clothing/hair, and the troops (Stormtroopers/TIE Pilots in particular) are present in all three movies.  With the prequels, everything seems to change...main characters get older (or have different actors in the case of Anakin), the clones change drastically (and come in a number of colors/helmets/etc.), and the "background characters" seem a lot more numerous.  Not saying its bad, just a difference between the trilogies.  That being said, I couldn't imagine the uproar if Lucas decided to CGI some colors on the Stormtroopers in the OT.  Yikes.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I seriously doubt that they would add color patterns to the Stormtroopers of the OT era.  I could maybe see them adding in a shot of a Stormtrooper on Coruscant with different markings, but that's about it. 

My understanding of why the OT troopers are all white is that after the Empire was formed, things became much more uniform and strict.  They chose all white as sort of an intimidation/faceless way to be all the same, almost an arrogant sense of power to show they didn't need camoflauge or markings - they overpowered their enemies with force and numbers.  Kind of like the legions of the Roman Empire.  Also don't forget a ton of the inspiration for the Imperial look came from the Nazis.  Awful as it may sound to some (and you know somebody will probably claim they are "offended" by the comparison), it's true.

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 04:15 PM »
^ In the words of the great Han Solo: "You said it, Chewie". ;)

I'm still not a fan of the rainbow troopers in Episode III, and it would make no sense to change it for the OT, for the reasons you elaborated. The faceless sameness of the stormtroopers is part of their effect. Which is why I still maintain that the camo Kashyyyk troopers look idiotic.

That being said, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to one or two types of elite OT troopers with markings to distinguish their rank--for example, an stormie with the EpIII shocktrooper markings could be really cool. (Sounds like a good custom....)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 04:17 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Knowing GL, I wouldn't be surprised to see multi-colored stormies in the 3D versions...

He'll do anything to make a buck!

BTW - is the word "colored" politically correct?

:-*

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 05:37 PM »
I seriously doubt that they would add color patterns to the Stormtroopers of the OT era.  I could maybe see them adding in a shot of a Stormtrooper on Coruscant with different markings, but that's about it. 

My understanding of why the OT troopers are all white is that after the Empire was formed, things became much more uniform and strict.  They chose all white as sort of an intimidation/faceless way to be all the same, almost an arrogant sense of power to show they didn't need camoflauge or markings - they overpowered their enemies with force and numbers.  Kind of like the legions of the Roman Empire.  Also don't forget a ton of the inspiration for the Imperial look came from the Nazis.  Awful as it may sound to some (and you know somebody will probably claim they are "offended" by the comparison), it's true.

Took the words right out of my mouth, CHEWIE. I kind of picture the Empire as the SW Nazis, and the Republic as kind of Unorganized Weekend Warriors. I would be pretty ticked if GL did go and add color to the Stormies mainly for the fact that I love the way they were in the OT movies.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 08:00 PM »
I think of Stormtroopers as being a defined presence. Being all white makes them stick out anywhere, and the iron fist of the empire is highly visable.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 09:01 PM »
I'd be lying if I told you the thought hadn't crossed my mind. That said, let's hope well enough is left alone.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:57 AM »
About the only change that would make sense is if the Scout Troopers on Endor were in Camo like the Clones on Kashhyk.  They stuck out like sore thumbs.

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 01:43 PM »
It  wouldn't  surprise  me  if  GL  decided  to  change  the  stormtroopers  in  a  future  release  of  the  OT.  Lucas  to  Star  Wars  is  like  a  man  with  a  lovely  wife  that  feels  compelled  to  constantly  send her   to  the  plastic  surgeon.  Eventually  he'll  go  too  far  and  have  Gungans  at  Yavin  or  Endor,  or  changing  Hamills  appearance  to  look  more  laike  Haydens(ewh!).

The  multicolored/armored  clones  in  Ep  III  was  a  brilliant  marketing  move  for  Lucas.  I  myself  have  amassed  a  clone  army  by  simply  buying  1  or  2(uh okay sometimes more)  of  each  type  released.  It  totally  blows  away  my  stormtrooper  collection.

I've  never  thought  of  stormtrooopers  to  be  clones,  even  after  the  prequels.  After  all,  they  have  different  voices,  are  different  sizes,  are  less  diciplined,  have  other  interests  and  can't  shoot  straight.

As  far  as  I'm  concerned  the  clones  in  E III  adopted  regiment  colors  as  symbols  of  identity,  accomplishment,  and  pride,  which  were  perhaps  encouraged  by  the  Jedi,  in  which  case  the  stripping  of  all  colors  would  be  done  in  order  to  distance  themselves  from  the  Jedi  after  order  66
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 01:50 PM »
After "Greedo shot first" I am afraid that ANYTHING GOES when it comes to Lucas and the Original Trilogy...   

I'm sure the days of 501st Stormtroopers and Camo Endor Stormtroopers are not far away.  :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Eh, I don't think he's gonna go changing something that significant.  It's not a small clip like Greedo's laser blast.  That sort of small change never bothered me and I think some people took that minor change way too personally, like they have been "offended" by it.  It's Lucas's right to change whatever he wants anyway.  Everyone should still be thanking him for these movies in my opinion.

Anyway, this would be a major change to the entire look of the OT.  I doubt he'd do it, but I guess anything is possible.  Really all I could see him doing is an added scene or something with a few colored Coruscant troopers.  But who knows.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 02:33 PM »
I thank him plenty by buying the movies and the merchandise.  I see no real need to kiss his ass on top of that. 

As for the changes, it's not they're offensive, there's just no need for them to happen.  Many of us grew up loving the movie just as it was, so why change it?  Because you can?  Go for it if that's what tickles your innards.  Maybe we can go back and change Titanic too, cuz after all, it's really just a love story and the boat doesn't really need to sink.  It's just a detail.   ::)

I'm hoping they don't do it but I can easily see it happening.  I'm ok with buying figures that occurred in movies/games/text versions, those are established.  But going back to change colours on things with little other purpose than to further the marketing machine?  Novelty is one thing, blatant money grubbing is another.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 03:12 PM »
I'm not saying that I want to see Stormies in all colors of the rainbow, I hope to God he doesn't change it.  But it's pretty strange to me if someone thinks he doesn't have the "right" to change something.  He owns the rights to everything Star Wars.  If someone thinks that stating a fact is kissing his ass, I don't know how to even respond to that.  But I agree there really is no need to change things that are already there. 

I'd love to see some sort of small shot of Coruscant perhaps in ESB with the Emperor talking to Vader maybe.  Also I would love to see a very small addition to ANH with Bail Organa on Alderaan before it gets wiped out.  Also I could go for a few more battle shots on Endor and on Hoth.  Just a small clip, additions only and not altering any existing images. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 04:26 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: April 4, 2006, 12:50 AM »
I've thought about the possibility too Jim but I honestly hope it neve rhappens.  I like things as they are...  If I were to make changes it would be updating the space battles digitally in all movies, and maybe tweaking Hoth a bit to have a little more action happening.

Beyond that...  I truly hope he's done.  I don't wanna be lured into a colorized Stormtrooper trap.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77