Author Topic: Have you guys ever...  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Have you guys ever...
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:07 PM »
Had a full day solely for customizing? Where no one bothered you and you had pretty much the whole day just to relax and customize?

I think I just had one of those days today. All I did today was go to a grad party, and go to the grocery store. The rest of the day I just worked on customs.

And you know what? I got a LOT done!
-Finished Gunnery Sargeant Aros
-Tweaked Captain Ratay
-Redid Dark Jedi Sora Bulq
-Planned, Assembled, and Painted Aros' partner
-Got ahead on a couple WIPs

All in all, a pretty productive day.  :)

What I've Done Today :)
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: Have you guys ever...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:22 PM »
Hmmm maybe 3-5 hours of customizing, but never a full day, I like to get outside and away from my workbench.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 10:46 PM »
Actually, I try and have a day like this at least once every month.  I pretty much have to for each photonovel.

:)

Offline Beedo

• Youngling
  • Ch'es boku tuuta *ris ta tlenko nya koska!
    • View Profile
    • Beedo Sookcool's Cool Sci-Fi Page
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 04:14 AM »
Rarely.  I remember once, over a decade ago, when I had severe insomnia (76 hours awake in one go), I spent the best part of 26 hours painting Mutant Chronicles miniatures with breaks for only drink, food, and bladder relief.  Physically draining, but I got my Centurions, Necromutants and Undead Legionnaires all done, as well as some I promised to do for a friend of mine.

But as soon as I come back from my holiday in the States, I fully intend to do a couple days' worth of solid customising!

"...cross me, and you'll soon discover that under this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."

-Lord Edmund Blackadder II

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 07:42 PM »
I had a day somewhat like that today. I got home at about 2 or 3, and all I've been doing since then is customizing. My customs thread will be busy once I get pics up!
Yo is what yo is.

Offline starkid500

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 08:42 PM »
ive been painting my butt off today and my stepdad too!! whew!
Edit by AngryEwok - Don't put images in your signature.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 08:48 PM »
NOt very often as of late. :(

BUt I do remember those times when i did. Oh such fond memories they are. :'(

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 12:33 PM »
I have too many of these days.

I'm a graduate student, and as such am unemployed during the school year.  Unfortunately, the summer job hunt has not gone very well for me since April, which means no money but tonnes of free time (when I'm not pounding the pavement).  As a result, I pretty much work on customs and commissioned pieces in six hour chunks, with brief breaks to eat, make coffee, and converse with the people I live with.  I'd say that I have an all customs day about once a week...I do not recommend it, if only to preserve your sanity and health.

As a luxury, customizing time should be treasured.  As the norm, its bad news  ;)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 11:27 PM »
Don't I wish.........

Seriously, I wish I even knew this hobby existed before I had kids.  I would have had so much free time.  Of course I would have been limited with non-articulated fodder and no real internet to share with but what the hell, I would have had free time.

In the meantime, I try to squeeze in a few hours every weekend and if possible one night a week.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 09:49 AM »
Have a full day to do nothing but customizing? Impossible. Simply impossible. Reason: wife & kids. I'm lucky to steal an hour here or there at night.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediDre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Fine barn it be, but no pool it tis.
    • View Profile
    • The LWWF...we don't care.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 11:31 AM »
I'm in the same boat as Phurby.  Not that I don't have time for my family...but I'd love to have a few hours that I could take and just paint, swap, or boil the time away.

Dre
I find her attractive because she's a clinet and she sleeps above the covers....FOUR FEET above the covers!!

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 12:41 PM »
Very cool topic, Nirvana -- I've been reading it with great interest, so now I'll chime in. :)

Once in a while I give myself a day like this, though not during the school year.  Like Glorbes, I'm a graduate student, and during the school year things get way too hectic for me to do much customizing or even posting.  :(  But during the summer or winter breaks, sure, I'll give myself at least 1 or 2.  :)

Of course, not all of my "customizing days" have been as productive as Nirvana's was.  Yesterday was sort of devoted to customizing, but all I got done was taking apart a 12" Slave Leia doll (took a surprisingly long time) and repainted her bikini.  The rest of the time I pretty much vegged!  But one needs times like that every now and again...

... the Findswoman

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 05:28 PM »
I wish!  I have been home all day today, finally getting our livingroom ceiling repaired.
I started the day tilling soil and seeding the bare pathces in our back yard, had a fridge for the garage delivered, my son had a half day, so he came home early and i put some figures in the cabinet that had been pileing up since the last 3 waves.
Meanwihile my kitchen, livingroom and access to the basement has been closed off. So i was only able to get my vintage han carded today...I had grander designs on making two figures (jlu though)
But ended up not getting much done, by way of customs.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 05:48 PM »
Well, I'm out of school now and that's why I've been having alot of time to customize...until the end of July, I really don't have anything going on during the day, but I'm starting to run out of fodder (as well as cash, lol), so I hope I get my job soon for the summer so I can actually make some money.

I get tired of my custom desk, so I frequently get up to stretch the legs and get fresh air, then back to the table.

I'm having a little bit of a customizer's block now that I've finished up the two Rebel guerillas. I've considered making a PN of them taking down an Imperial Convoy, but that means I will have to make the vehicles and everything. I don't know, maybe.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 10:35 AM »
Man, I thought I was part of a minority on here that has no time because of kids, baseball, family time, bedtime, etc. etc..  I'm rather embarrassed that I've not really got hardly any customs to share and I post on here.  I promise, I DO customize though!  :)

I'm currently SLOWLY making molds and casts of a microman figure for me to use as a base figure I can cast and use over and over.  It doesnt have all of the articulation the original has (a lot of it though), but I did make a ball joint for those types of heads on the microman's body.  Plus, I've gotten rid of any screwholes and lines from articulation I didnt use by smoothing it over with sculpy, then re-casting it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 10:37 AM by RollaJedi »
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site