Author Topic: Unleashed figures  (Read 153733 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Unleashed Again
« Reply #600 on: April 25, 2005, 03:46 PM »
I believe one of the Q and A's (at GH maybe), asked if they would be returning in 2006...and they said "Yes, and no".  Still sounds like they are continuing either way, so that's good news to me.

I think what they meant by that was "YES" as in there will be more unleashed out in 2006" but "NO" as in little to no NEW figures.  Expect a lot of re-cards for now...

It sounded like they wanted to get some of the older pieces that are selling for fat cash on eBay re-released so that folks could pick them up.

And that sums up all the attention I gave to Unleashed over C3.  Oh, that and the Emperor/yoda piece looks really cool.  If I was collecting these, I'd love that one.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 25, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeff, that clears that up a little bit.  I guess I'm a little disappointed that there might not be much new stuff coming next year, but then again, its not like I have all that much room for too many more right now until I figure something else out anyways for shelving.  Still wouldn't mind seeing some new figures though, at least it sounds like there is some more coming this year...and that Palps/Yoda combo does look nice.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 25, 2005, 09:23 PM »
I'm thinking that the Han Stormtrooper will probably be along the lines of the Removable Helmet Vader figure.  The current Stormie has a flesh colored head under his helmet (I haven't and will not attempt to pry it off to see if there's a face too), so it wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro just slaps a new Han Solo headsculpt on the Stormie body, gives it a removable helmet, possibly a new base, and put it out there.  The fact that so many people still haven't gotten the regular Stormtrooper continues to bother me though; these have to show up at retail sooner or later.

On a really odd note, my local WM had put out the Unleashed Chewbacca (not the rumored new one, the old rabid one) on the pegs today.  One lone figure, the card was in great condition, and it just came out of nowhere.  Very strange.  By the time I went back this evening to get some Pepsi (mmmm carbonated) it was gone.

Thank you for the clarification on what the UL situation is though Jeff, as it came across as a really cryptic (and typically overdone) Hasbro response as to the line's future.  I'm hoping that Yoda and RH Vader will be rereleased, since I still need those and I don't feel like selling my kidneys to get them.

So, were the other two rumored ROTS pieces mentioned at the con (Chewie and/or the Clone), or was it more "If we told you, we'd have to kill you" Jethro Bodeen Double-Naught Spy BS from Hasbro?

(I'm still holding out hope that the Chewie is ripping a Battle Droid to pieces) ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 26, 2005, 09:48 AM »
I barely recall anything being mentioned about the unleashed line during the Q&A.  No slides in the powerpoint presentation and Jeff's interpretation of new figures is the same as mine.  It's like the line didn't really exist, as compared to something like Attacktix ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 27, 2005, 05:20 PM »
Interesting.  I'm all for them doing that.  Then maybe I can score a Boba Fett and Han Solo.

While searching TN yesterday w/ jjks, I found 4 of the Ep.II Obi-Wan Unleashed.  Interesting finding those and I did grab one for myself.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 28, 2005, 02:29 AM »
It would be nice if they recard the removable helmet Vader. The only one Im missing. And Im not paying the price they are going for on ebay.
I remember my dream now.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 28, 2005, 04:29 PM »
I actually asked the reps about the stormtrooper from this line and wondered if they would be reissuing them since distribution wasn't the greatest and I was told to walk around and look at the vendor booths as they were not re-releasing it.  I told them I already did that and not ONE booth had one.  They just shrugged and basically looked away.  Nice...real nice. ::)
Beth

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2005, 05:49 PM »
I actually asked the reps about the stormtrooper from this line and wondered if they would be reissuing them since distribution wasn't the greatest and I was told to walk around and look at the vendor booths as they were not re-releasing it.  I told them I already did that and not ONE booth had one.  They just shrugged and basically looked away.  Nice...real nice. ::)

One booth had 1 on day one that I saw.  Asking price: $45.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2005, 06:00 PM »

That was a bargain compared to the one I saw - $70!   ::)  The amazing thing was that it was gone the next day.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 28, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Damn, thats crazy. I think I'll head out to the mall tomorrow and scoop up a Stormtrooper or two depending on what they are charging now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 28, 2005, 09:40 PM »

Yep, and that one is currently residing here in Winnipeg.  JediMac and I were rolling posters when we ran into the only non-staff Canadian I saw all weekend, JediJim from both snowtroopers and a member here as well, though he doesn't post often.  We were chatting and his son was eyeing up the posters when his wife walked up and pulled out the very same stormtrooper Jason had been looking at not 10 minutes earlier.   :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 28, 2005, 10:25 PM »
I just don't get why so little of that wave got out.  Just doesn't make sense.  It's a great wave too. 

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 28, 2005, 11:48 PM »
I just don't get why so little of that wave got out.  Just doesn't make sense.  It's a great wave too.

Stock Response:  Because it has a Stormtrooper in it, and if I have learned anything over the 10 years Hasbro's been doing the modern SW toys, it's that any assortment that has a really cool Imperial Clone/Stormtrooper in it will be the last assortment under a particular case assortment number and Hasbro will refuse to ever rerelease said figure ever again unless it is in a pricey Entertainment Earth exclusive four pack.

Serious response:  I think that while I was being silly (?) in the stock response section, there is some truth to it being part of a "last assortment" so to speak.  The Target nearest me never got any Unleashed past the Dooku/Vader/Mace wave and when it came time for post-Christmas clearance, all of their Unleashed went on that aisle.  I asked one day if they had any more of the Unleashed in the back and the girl checked only to come back and say they had two more Dookus and that was it, and she put those out so they could be clearanced too.  No Unleashed were put out until ROTS hit, and since then the only ones I've seen are the three current ROTS characters.

Wal-Mart was overrun (at least around here) with the Secura/Tusken/Bossk wave (they still are, believe it or not) and didn't get anything past the Dooku/Mace/Vader wave either.  WM has an aversion to clearancing anything though, so why they haven't popped up there is beyond me.  I found my IG-88 and Sing at a really out of the way (read: in a part of the country that Ned Beatty drives really fast through, if you get my meaning) WM and both of those were on heavily beaten up cards (didn't matter, as I opened them).  No sign of any Stormtroopers at all, and to this day I've never seen one in a store, and I've only ever seen the one IG and the one Aurra on that day. 

Again, I kept hoping that WM would start to clear out their backroom and cases of these would turn up, but thus far it doesn't seem to be happening.  Stranger things have been turning up around me recently, with the closest WM to my home putting out a single Unleashed Chewbacca, the 12" Ewok two-pack from 2003, and the 12" Jawa two-pack from 2004 on random days (all of them disappeared before I had a chance to scan them to see what they cost, althoug knowing WM it was probably full price).

The thing that really gets me is that there seems to be a real shortage of the Sing and IG-88 along with the shortage of the Stormie.  Normally I would expect to find 2 each of the "less interesting" characters hanging around, or to see a ****load more Stormie auctions on Ebay, but as far as I can see, that doesn't seem to be the case.

As for Hasbro's response to you, jadesfire, it doesn't surprise me at all that they would pull that.  As I've said countless times before, I think that Hasbro is counting the minutes until they can be rid of Star Wars (license or not, if retail won't support it, it won't continue) and almost seems to have a "do we have to?" type of relationship with the fan community. 

But back to the original point, if Hasbro is so interested in making things available so we don't have to sell our kidneys on Ebay to get some of these pieces, they need to start by getting that last wave with the Stormie in it out to retail, or at the very least make those figures available for retail price on SWS.com or their little direct sales website that will no doubt be a massive disaster when it finally sees the light of day.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 29, 2005, 09:41 AM »
That is disappointing news about the Stormtrooper, if it turns out to be true.  I'd REALLY like to get one, along with everyone else I'm guessing, and that wave basically didn't show up around here either.  I did find a lone IG-88 (which I picked up) at TRU awhile back, but obviously missed the Stormie.  Target and Wal-mart never had anything other than Dookus, Tuskens, and Aaylas for the most part, and now they just have the ROTS wave.  I really hope we get another chance at this figure, because as bad as I want it, I don't want to pay $40 and up for it.  It is crazy how this always seems to happen with Stormtroopers/Clonetroopers, etc.  The types of figures that are guaranteed basically to be big sellers, and they are usually either shortpacked, under shipped, or never show up at all.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 29, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I went to the mall and checked out the comic/figure stores and only one store had a Stormtrooper. $30. so $23.85 US. Happy to pick him up and now I can move on to the other Unleashed figures.  8)