Author Topic: Unleashed figures  (Read 149952 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Unleashed figures
« Reply #1035 on: July 31, 2006, 09:21 PM »
Does any one know which new figs were at Comic Con? I saw a pic of R2 and I think yet another clone, are there any other pics out there?

I believe you're thinking of the Titanium 4" figures.  No Unleashed R2 that I know of.  All they mentioned were four re-releases as exclusives: Grievous and Fett to Target, and Vader and Jedi Luke to WM.  That's it at this point, with some other re-releases probably coming a bit later...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 31, 2006, 10:39 PM »
The Grievous is also another mystery. That last wave for ROTS was around FOREVER!!!  I am hoping with everything I've got that they put the new sculps back on the art cards. I don't even display my BB Vader because he takes to much room. I think the art cards were great. On the other hand it is nice to see them "put together" in the tubes with out actually opening them.

The cards are officially gone.  The consensus at Hasbro was that it was tough to get shelf space for them and that the cards weren't able to stay in great shape.  Hence the new packaging.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 1, 2006, 08:32 PM »
Damn I thought the cards were awesome.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 2, 2006, 11:15 AM »
Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about them ditching the cards as well.  I guess I can kind of see why, where it might be easier for them to get "shelf space" instead of "peg space".  Plus, a lot of them were pretty damaged.  That aside though, the artwork on the cardbacks was one of my favorite parts of the line.  Very well done.  I've kept all of those cardbacks, and would like to find a way to display them someday.

I'm starting to get a little concerned about the potential comeback of this line.  I still hope it will happen, but I'm having my doubts.  They (Hasbro) have consistently told us basically that retail doesn't like it, they don't sell, etc.  Plus, with them "testing the waters" with 4 re-releases (with Boba basically being the only one tough to find), I don't know how well the sell through will look on these.  We'll have to see I guess.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: August 2, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I've completely given up on this line.  My WM's did not carry the new wave and to be honest, the only one I really wanted was Han because I missed out on the 1st stormtrooper.

That and the quality issues.  Over time the weight of the plastic takes it's toll on the small metal pegs and figures begin to tip over.  See my images from a few pages back.

I currently have three figures now that cannot stand.  They are basically worthless. 

Because of this, I've packed up my Unleashed figures to make room for the SS 12" line.  More poseability and not as much crap to deal with in terms of quality/hunting them down at retail.

Edit:  And if Hasbro wants these to blow the doors off at retail, then why not bring back the figures that the collectors are clamoring for? 

Target = Boba Fett (got that one right) and Han Solo

Wal-Mart = Yoda (1st release) and Darth Vader (unmasked)

Greivous?  Yoda vs Palpy?

Give me a break! 
« Last Edit: August 2, 2006, 02:49 PM by ruiner »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 2, 2006, 03:52 PM »
That's a great point.  If they are going to re-release figures, there were probably better choices.  I can see a Vader, just because of the popularity - and maybe even some sort of release from ROTS because of the current popularity of that movie.  Otherwise though, your set up looks good.  Boba and Han at Target, throw in the Stormtrooper somewhere, then maybe the first Yoda, etc.

Offline jr87mustang

• Jedi Initiate
  • Have you seen this Kubrick???
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 4, 2006, 08:45 PM »
I guess it was the titanium figures I saw. I just assumed that since the were in a "round tube" that they were Unleashed. Nuts!

http://www.jedidefender.com/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Conventions/San_Diego_Comic_Con_2006/Hasbro&image=DSC09628.jpg&img=80&tt=

I would take that exact figure as an Unleashed, thats for sure!!
« Last Edit: August 4, 2006, 08:46 PM by jr87mustang »
Anyone got a ben for sale??

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 7, 2006, 08:57 PM »
I'm starting to get a little concerned about the potential comeback of this line.  I still hope it will happen, but I'm having my doubts.  They (Hasbro) have consistently told us basically that retail doesn't like it, they don't sell, etc.  Plus, with them "testing the waters" with 4 re-releases (with Boba basically being the only one tough to find), I don't know how well the sell through will look on these.  We'll have to see I guess.

I'm dreading it as well.  I think that the character choices are a bit better than most people seem to think, although I definitely would have gone with the RH Vader over the Bespin Vader (not just because I need the RH Vader; just because it's so pricey on the secondary market and so many people missed out on it) and probably Yoda over Grievous.  The Luke is still my favorite single Unleashed figure (I count the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan as my favorite, period), and the Fett is one of the more intricate bases they did.  Grievous, though, is a nice piece, so none of them really stick out as poor choices.

Still, I think that Hasbro is setting these up to fail so they don't have to invest the time and/or money into new toolings and sculpts.  The tube packaging is pretty much going to be a ticking time bomb on the Wal-Mart shelves, and I'd be willing to bet that unless you find a case just hitting the floor at WM, there are going to be very few Lukes and Vaders in mint condition.  Boba's going to fly off the shelves, and Grievous is probably going to sit for a while, winding up on clearance after three days for a dollar. 

Is there anything stopping Hasbro from doing the Unleashed line the same way they did the 3.75 inch RAH Joes for a while when they thought Sigma6 was a great idea?  Do about six of the 7" Unleashed a year, plus one or two reissues, and sell them through the HTS website.  That way you could keep a close eye on how well they were selling, if the format was still in demand amongst collectors, and then decide whether or not to take the line wide again.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 13, 2006, 03:09 PM »
I saw the "new" Target Boba and Grievous today.  Anyone who's thinking about getting them should wait until clearance.  These things are going to sit, Grievous moreso than Boba.  Shame too, because they sure look nice in the cylinder packaging.  Hasbro, in all their infinite wisdom, picked the wrong ones to re-release.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline jr87mustang

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 18, 2006, 10:20 AM »
Well I guess we can say good by to the Unleashed line........even I won't pay Targets $20 price tag for these and I collect them. I guess Hasbro really wants this line gone. The original $15 dollars was steep enough for these, normal people aren't going to pay that. It was fun while it lasted......clearence racks make way for Unleashed!!!!!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 18, 2006, 10:34 AM »
Yeah, I think the $20 pricepoint might be pushing it - especially for repacks.  I haven't seen them here yet, but like Mikey mentioned - I'm guessing they are going to sit.  Fett might sell, especially to those who don't already have the earlier version - and the fact that Fett is always pretty popular, but Grievous is going to be clearance bound I'm guessing.  As much as I enjoy this line (and hope it continues), if it does end that's ok too.  I'm just tired of the "is it continuing/isn't it" back and forth, and it really doesn't seem like Hasbro and/or retail has a whole lot of confidence in it.  The last few (Wal-Mart wave) of these did end up sitting around here for awhile - some more than others - while the previous waves (prior to ROTS) seemed to sell pretty well.  I wonder if that older rumor list for next year will pan out, or if this repack "test" will be the final death of the line.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 18, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Even the Best Buy Exclusive Vader wasn't 20 bucks.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 18, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Even the Best Buy Exclusive Vader wasn't 20 bucks.

It wasn't? I could've swore it was...

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 18, 2006, 03:30 PM »
Im pretty sure it was 15 bucks.
I remember my dream now.

Offline jr87mustang

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 18, 2006, 03:41 PM »
The Vader was $20 (shipping) online and $15 at the stores.