Author Topic: Lucasfilm Animation  (Read 2051 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Lucasfilm Animation
« on: May 13, 2003, 11:54 AM »
According to the LA Times, Lucas has FINALLY started a seperate animation division to compete with Pixar (Toy Story), Pacific Data (Shrek), and Blue Sky (Ice Age). While the studio is still young, it hasn't named a project yet. However, I think the Frankenstein project was a great idea. And I can't help thinking something Star Wars related, for theatre OR television, would be a natural.

Still, I'd love to see LFA do Flash Gordon. It would be great to see a CG animated feature with a 40's sci-fi retro look.

What projects do you think this new studio should consider?
Post sober.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Lucasfilm Animation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 12:16 PM »
I think of Kids films with CGi animation so how about something like Wizard of Oz or Peter Pan
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 01:41 PM »
Flash Gordon is an awesome idea John, Lucas has a well known fettish for the films and would make a great story plus revive a pretty dead franchise

Buck Rogers also comes to mind in the same vein

Most of the CGI films are non license based entities to cash in on all of the royalties and merchandising and I can see LFL going down the same road

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 01:56 PM »
How about a series of direct-to-video features ala The Ewok Adventures? Like a Jar Jar & Boss Nass buddy movie. They could be the next Laurel & Hardy. (Or not... :P )

The Wizard of Oz would be cool, too FX-7, just keep Todd McFarlane's folks away from it. If you've seen their toy line, you know what I mean. :o

I'd love to see someone tackle an animated style, CGI Batman feature. I think the property and the look lend themselves VERY well to this medium. Plus it'd be great to see a show like that surpass the box office on Shumacher's last two atrocities.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 10:52 PM »
How about a series of direct-to-video features ala The Ewok Adventures? Like a Jar Jar & Boss Nass buddy movie. They could be the next Laurel & Hardy. (Or not... :P )

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  Noooooooooooo!  Please, no gungans, no ewoks.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 01:10 AM »
I'd take a Rogue squadron series of some sort...  TV or even a film.  I just dn't know what kind of appeal it may have across the board...

I'd love to see it personally, so long as the story were good, fit well with the films, had a good feel to the classic trilogy, and actually had that "charm" the original movies had but had the flash only 3-D/digital animation can provide...

Here's to hoping we get some cool things SW and non-SW from the new company.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 04:55 AM »
Just stumbled across this one, and was curious if there's been any development with this, since I've never heard a peep about it.  I'd love to see some Star Wars animated cartoon type series, similar to Clone Wars (but longer of course), and some of the suggestions above would be great.  The SW universe is so broad and interesting, that there'd be a thousand different possibilities!

But isn't ILM basically already doing the Lucasfilm animation work?  You know - TPM and AOTC.  Weren't those animated movies?   :P