Author Topic: Long Term Storage Questions  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Long Term Storage Questions
« on: April 4, 2006, 09:47 AM »
I have officially run out of room with my carded collection and have decided that storage was the only option.  All figs are in Star Cases and will be put in oversize plastic tubs. Should I:

A) Keep them in the attic (knowing that heat/humidity could be a problem).

B) Keep them in a crawlspace underneath my stairs (knowing that dampness could be a problem)

Any suggestions?  Also, since this will be long term should I take any precautions in packing them differently or better?  Would putting them in two plastic tubs help the cause?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Storage Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2006, 10:36 AM »
I have no room where I'm currently living and I had both options of putting my entire collection in the attic or the basement.  With the elements in mind, there was no way I wanted to jepardize everything.  I have all my carded figs in Star Cases too, but I put them all in huge thick flower boxes - I heard issues about the "breathing" thing so I took this route.

If you have the space in your home, then by all means it should be taken advantage of, but I'm leary of the attic/basement issues - insects, rodents, heat, humidity.  I since decided to go the expensive route by putting everything in a climate controlled storage unit to make sure everything stays nice and dry.  I take a peek into various boxes every few months or so and so far there's been no problems - not that I'd see one arising.

My stuff has been in storage for over a year now. I won't boast about the size of my collection, but everything has been nice and kosher.  ;)

Just my 2 cents...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2006, 11:16 AM »
I think Colman and Jared also have storage units. 

The stuff I have carded that I have any interest in keeping carded is in star cases as well and then in the big Rubbermaid tupperware containers.  I keep my stuff in the basement but my basement stays pretty dry (humidity-wise) and should any flooding occur, the rubbermaid containers should address that. 

We don't have the insect issues you may have further south, so the tupperware covers off most of that as well, but if you had something that would feed on the cardboard, I don't think anything would really help at all. 

Attics scare me from a toy perspective.  The get both really hot and really cold and the humidity fluctuates quite wildly, something I'd think would lead to warpage even faster than a constant state of semi-high humidity.  I'd opt for the basement/crawl space were I you.  Unless you can afford to pay for the storage. 

I don't envy you your situation.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2006, 11:24 AM »
I have kept whatever is left of my carded collection in star cases in boxes in the basement.  The basement is relatively dry but I put all boxes on top of rubbermaid containers that have boxed stuff inside. 

Other than yellow sac spiders looking to nest and centipedes going after them I do not see any "insect" problems in my basement.  I guess termites and ants could get into them  but to avoid this I tape the boxes with duct tape and put that sticky shrink wrap around the rubbermaid containers' lids.

I find that this works great.  Every spring I take a look inside and 4 years running everything looks good, knock on wood. 

For those non-insect lovers (I realize not everyone can be like me) you can buy lavander "flavored" moth balls.  They do not stink up the place at all and they kept them crawlies away.  Cedar balls work great too.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2006, 03:30 PM »
For any of you who use TheEarth's ziplock bags, what size(s) do you most commonly buy??