Author Topic: UGH Vader- is he rare or worth a lot or something?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
UGH Vader- is he rare or worth a lot or something?
« on: April 4, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Maybe I missed it when I checked just now, but I could've sworn I saw a thread titled "UGH Vader - Why are people paying so much" or something like that.

I hope I don't tee off a bunch of collectors here, but I was in Wal Mart today and thought I'd glance at the SW figures, expecting to see the same stuff hanging there that's been there for two weeks. To my joy, they've restocked, and there were some of these "Ultiamte Galactic Hunt" figures blended in with the others. Among these was a Darth Vader.

I kind of wanted a TSC Vader because, while I intend to buy an Evolutions Anakin set, it's good to have more than one cool Vader for display and after skipping out on many opportunities to do so I don't think I'm actually going to buy a 500th Vader (is it really worth $10 more for the chamber and the extra hand?). So, against my better financial judgement, I decided to pick up a TSC Vader. A quick price check determined that either Wal Mart raised their prices and didn't change what the pegs said, or that UGH figureswere $6.60-something where the normal figures were $5.88. No big deal, and vaguely recalling a mention of it, I decided to buy the UGH Vader instead.

So now that I have him, I'm wondering if he's in-demand to collectors or anything- perhaps I could/should trade/sell him for a tiny bit more and go back and buy the normal Vader and have a little more money/a cheap figure to show for it, or something? Or is he worth no more than a normal figure?

If he's not really in-demand like that or anyhting, I could just open him and keep him as is- I love the vacuum-metallized stand, shiny silver things are pretty :)

Also of note, the not-really-holographic-whatsoever figure is in silver (standard to UGH I'm guessing) and is Palpatine.

So basically, my bottom line question is, is a MOC UGH Vader with Palpatine figurine worth especially more than other new TSC figures, or should I open him and display him and carefully play with him as I would do with any other figures I buy?

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
Re: UGH Vader- is he rare or worth a lot or something?
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2006, 02:03 PM »
That's a tough call. Initially he went for quite a bit on the ebay, but things have cooled off significantly there. If it doesn't matter to you, you could probably find a local collector who would trade you 2 other figures for it.

On the other hand, if you like the uniqueness of the stand, hey open it up! You'll never get it cheaper than you did.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Hmm, I'll think about it then. If I really could get two other figures for it, or maybe a VOTC or something... I might go for that. On the other hand, the stand is pretty cool :)

Is there any chance I could put up a thread in the trading forum seeing what people would offer for one and linking to my WTB list, but if I don't get any offers I like I could then "close" the thread and just keep him and open him?
« Last Edit: April 4, 2006, 02:07 PM by Mitsukara »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2006, 02:12 PM »
YES..there IS a chance AND I'm interested!

--Urb

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2006, 06:09 PM »
I'm going to wait, if possible, to decide exactly what I'm going to do with UGH Vader and my money until Friday... if you're reading this first, DarthSlothus, could you check your private messages?

Thanks for the input though :) I wish I could vac-metallize stuff somehow or that there was a kind of paint that could be bought like that... not only could I redo all my stands but that would be great for droid customs and such. Ah well, wishful thinking.

I'm not sure, but I don't suspect I'm going to keep him; if I did though, would I draw the wrath of thousands by opening him? I'd be very careful with the card and keep it of course, as I've been doing with my new aquisitions for a while. In his case I'd even keep the plastic that holds the figure in place.

For now UGH Vader gets set on a shelf where he can look pretty on his card and he won't get messed up. :) One way or another I definately need to get a better Vader or two than my ROTS Vader, though...
« Last Edit: April 4, 2006, 06:11 PM by Mitsukara »

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2006, 09:52 PM »
If you are looking for good vaders, I will throw in my two cents- I still love the POTF2 vader with removeable helmet. The one from the blue saga imperial trooper pack is good too- I have a couple extra of that guy because I wanted more of the other troops in the set-

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2006, 11:17 AM »
My Fav Vader is the Evo one.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2006, 02:02 PM »
Yes, Evolutions Vader looks to be the nicest and most articulated. 500th/Saga Vader comes close though.

I saw a review for those Imperial Forces Pack Vaders- "Emporer's Wrath" Vader molded in black plastic. The sculpting looks quite nice, and he'd look good on display I think. The articulation isn't all that exciting but it's okay.

I'm kidn of curious about Death Star Clash or whatever he was Vader- I think it was first in the '02-'04 Saga line? He'd look great battling Obi Wan for an episode IV display. That is, if I had a good Obi Wan... or at least the POTF2 one with the hood up.

Since the previous deal seems to have been negated, I'm still curious to see if anyone has some kind of offer for this Vader. If I don't figure something out in a week or so I might just open him though.

EDIT: Nix all that, looks like ol' Vader is getting traded after all. :)
« Last Edit: April 5, 2006, 03:44 PM by Mitsukara »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Yes, Evolutions Vader looks to be the nicest and most articulated. 500th/Saga Vader comes close though.

I hope you're not serious about that 500th Vader comment...

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2006, 04:02 PM »
His articulation isn't awesome, but his legs are pretty good. From what I've seen he is the second nicest Vader around; it's just that Evolutions Vader is a big step ahead.

The only other Vader that really seems to compare is VOTC Vader, and he looks kinda funny to me :P 500th Vader on the other hand is very impressive-looking.

Just opinion. *shrugs*

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 5, 2006, 04:46 PM »
You might be right on the articulation, but his helmet does not stay on nor can he hold his own lightsaber.

Even if he had fifty points of articulation - the two points above make him a horrible figure.