Author Topic: What's your motivation?  (Read 2790 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
What's your motivation?
« on: April 4, 2006, 02:53 PM »
What gets you going in the morning?  Your job, significant other, kids, hobbies?  Just curious, so throw your thoughts out there.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: What's your motivation?
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Coffee.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Kids. Nothing else.

I get up at about 4-4:30 am each weekday just so I can get home earlier to be with them.
On my commute home, I frequently want to start ramming cars driven by beligerent drivers who don't have a clue what a safe following, passing or merging distance is. But I think of my kids, and I refrain.
I try to stay in shape and eat well in my current twilight years, just so I can squeeze a few more years out at the end to see my kids all grown and happy.
I refrain from overspending on frivolous stuff for me (read: Star Wars), just so I can overspend on frivolous stuff for them.
I don't complain about all the above (or at least not in front of my kids), because, though I say I do it all for my kids, it's really selfishly because they give me so much dang joy and I want to do it all.

Poor sap.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Read stormie's post and you'll find out my motivation as well.

Although stormie is a better person than me - I can't seem to quit smoking for my son...

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2006, 04:46 PM »
I don't have any special motivation... the alarm goes off, I wake up and that about does it.  Maybe the fact that I hate wasting days with 12 hour sleeping binges helps.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2006, 06:46 PM »
Fortune and glory, kid.  Fortune and glory.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 4, 2006, 08:05 PM »
So I can keep my grades from crashing and burning.  :)
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 4, 2006, 10:00 PM »
Aside from the kids who wake up at the crack of dawn, life. I don't drink coffe or nothin'
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2006, 12:03 AM »
I sat and thought of this for a good 20 minutes or so before I decided to post my answer:

The routine. Wake up. Go to shop. Work. Come home. Repeat. Exciting things are pretty sporadic for me, so really, it's all just me going through the motions each day, I suppose.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2006, 04:04 PM »
I guess the thing that gets me up is knowing that traffic is going to be bad on my way to work each day, so I better get moving quick so I'm not late to work!  And of course to try and be a good, responsible husband.

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #10 on: April 6, 2006, 12:13 AM »
So I can keep my grades from crashing and burning.  :)

Yeah, I'll go with that one. :)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: April 6, 2006, 12:46 AM »
Just thinking that I have to work toward something better, because life isn't supposed to suck as much as mine currently does.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 6, 2006, 10:47 AM »
I'll get a bit more serious here and say life.....My older brother died in a car accident less than 1/2 mile from home when I was 14.   :'(
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 6, 2006, 01:50 PM »
I guess I don't have any real motivation. I hit snooze 4 times, grab the wife somewhere, rollover and get up out of bed, scratch head. Look at self in mirror,hate it, smack face if the waking isn't there. Take a leak.Turn on shower...go tell son to turn alarm off and get up, make daughter get up-pull her out of bed if I have to ::). Get in shower-do that. Get out,get ready for work, pull kids out of bed again-holler if I must -let them know there will be hell to pay if I'm late for work because of them-(I had to write this down because it happens often enough). Nothing else changes unless variances like...telling a kid to take their shower because they forgot the night before ect..or taking out the trash on trash day ect.

So, I wouldn't say there's any REAL motivation ...I just do it, every workday, sigh*
Or maybe it's that I really don't think too far ahead about 'why'(motivation) I do anything.

Now...weekends..is different. I don't think about the kids. If it's fishing I get up real early or if fishing the river real late-depends on tides. If it's SW hunting same early as work only leave kids alone and hit the stores. Sometimes it's neither of those and there's more to the wife grab thing if I'm lucky..other than that- I'm not motivated and just sleep in(that doesn't happen very often on the weekend though :P)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 6, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I'll get a bit more serious here and say life.....My older brother died in a car accident less than 1/2 mile from home when I was 14. :'(

Sorry to hear that.  How old was he (if you don't mind me asking)?