Author Topic: TSC Retail Situations  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
TSC Retail Situations
« on: April 6, 2006, 02:45 PM »
After reading some people's comments on bare pegs at various stores, it got me wondering further about where everyone is having the best luck this year.  From the online reports, it looks like Target is most often ahead of the game in Star Wars collecting this year...and many Wal-Marts are behind, or empty.  Although I do think I've managed to find quite a few of my figures at Wal-Mart (I've only found the first three waves, no sign of Coruscant yet), I think I must have just been fortunate enough to stop in at the right times...because they have had bare pegs (or overtaken pegs) the rest of the year.  Looking back on what I've bought this year, I think this is how its broken down:

Carkoon Wave - Found at Wal-Mart
Hoth Wave - Wal-Mart (AT-AT Driver, Snowtrooper, Derlin, Veers) Target (R2-D2, Vader)
Geonosis Wave - Target (Poggle, Sun Fac), Wal-Mart (2 Clones, Scorch)

It kind of surprises me that overall I've found more at WM so far, because the pegs are literally empty every other time I've stopped there.  In fact, our closest WM now doesn't even have pegs for basic figures, instead filling those pegs with the smaller (regular) Transformers.  Plenty of SW Transformers, Unleashed BPs, and Force Battlers on the pegs though.  Our WM also doesn't carry Galactic Heroes so far.  In fact, they don't seem to be too crazy about action figures in general so far this year, as the ML pegs have been mostly bare (aside from a couple Black Panthers), they don't carry JLU or DC Superheroes thus far, no sign of Fantastic Four Classics or the X-Men lines, and a smaller action figure section overall.  Of the lines that actually have figures on the pegs at WM now, I think its something like this:

Power Rangers (large section)
TMNT (large section)
Transformers
GI Joe - Sigma Six
"The Batman" Animated Line
Superman Returns (just arrived this week)
Marvel Legends Showdown
Marvel Legends (very few figures right now)
Spider-Man Classics
Fantastic Four Movie

Overall, I enjoy shopping at Target much more.  Its actually one of the wife and I's favorite stores, to just shop for a variety of things.  Plus, we never seem to leave angry or frustrated just from the "shopping experience" like we do at WM.  Although they don't have the size/inventory of WM, our Target does carry a variety of action figure lines - more so than WM actually - and seem to be better at stocking, at least so far this year.  I'd probably skip WM altogether if I could, but it is quite a bit closer to us and easier to stop in at and check things out.  Our closest Target is further away, so its often picked over by the time I can get there.  One I've forgotten to mention is TRU, which hasn't really been too bad I guess.  They don't usually have a whole lot of Star Wars basic figures, but have had more than WM overall (they stick around longer at least).  They sometimes have some of the "other" lines stuff first (Titanium Ultra, Titanium figures) - even though I'm not necessarily interested in those things.  Also, they are the only place in town that carries the Fan4 Classics and X-Men lines from the Marvel side of things.  They also have a healthy stock of the DC stuff most of the time.  Anyways - back on the TSC subject, what stores have been the best to you this year?  Where do you prefer to shop?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: TSC Retail Situations
« Reply #1 on: April 6, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Good topic.  I'd usually say that Walmart has been my best place to find new waves, but really my toy run times have changed over the past year so that affects things.  Probably TRU (which has been a surprise) has been the easiest for me, but I think that's because less collectors seem to be hunting at the one I go to now (close to my work).

:P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 6, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Well, I really get 90% of my stuff at WM. I've completed the first 4 waves there. Out of the 22 scorches I got there were only 2 from Target. Out of the 40 or so U. clones I got only 2 from Target. Well..hehe, I've helped alot of WM
?haters? out with their collections by shopping at WM. Not to say that I'm not irritated with WM..because I am. Their retail plan locally/regionally? is to get fig. cases in every 2-3 weeks. that's just too long a wait for me. I don't remember the waits this long in other non-movie years >:(. Target , on the other hand, seems to get new toys BEFORE WM this year sometimes more than a week before WM does. Unfortunately, I never/rarely get anything from that store because I don't have the opportunity to go looking there during 'prime times' and at other times they're toy policies locally disagree with corporate's message to customers= I never get anything because their employees stick to a no-collectable love policy. Quoting their corporate words doesn't help worth a crap either- because of this it's a real depressing place to shop-I think they should have painted blue instead of red :(.  Imagine a store with a main goal to make a sale so customers will return yet they have a policy against that very function. So, there's a policy against collectibles/collectors...it's hypocrisy- who do they think funds those lines?! Especially when there's room to stock it, they have more in supply in the system but don't want to stock because of a policy?! Which, hurts somebody like me ..who can only go in there in the evenings at best ::). I guess if I could 'run' speedwalk to the toy aisle in the morning(not have a job) I would be getting more from them and complain less??

This year is a flip flop from last. Last year I got everything at WM 1-2 weeks BEFORE Target did..now this year Target seems to get the product first. Makes me wonder if the manufacturer had alternating time release contracts annually between the 2 retailers?

Another thing that is just atrocious is the price wars-it like watching the numbers at the corner gas station change. Definately the first year I've ever seen the prices go up and down by that much difference AND frequency.

Notice, I didn't mention Kmart or TRU here-- their highest prices and frequent lack of availability have really made them non- factors here when thinking of a place to shop for SW(until their exclusives hit-when your then forced to visit them ::))

K-bee..who?

--Urb
« Last Edit: April 6, 2006, 04:50 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 6, 2006, 04:54 PM »
I guess if I could 'run' speedwalk to the toy aisle in the morning(not have a job) I would be getting more from them and complain less??

That reminds me of this time I had a broken ankle and had my crutches.  I went to Target at 8 like I do some mornings (usually in the summer since the university traffic is less and I can park closer to my lab) and this other collector saw me there and ran to the toy aisle to beat me there.  I stopped half way there because I was laughing so hard and he came back down the hall before I was there and told me "there nothing new there".  I just kept laughing.  I mean, I had a broken ankle, anyone in the city could have beaten me to the toy aisle.  To this day I still laugh about it. 

Anyway, I bought all my TSC at Target with a few army builders at TRU when they had the 4.99 sale and a few more army builders this Sunday with the 3 for 2 thing.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 6, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Wal-Mart has, by and large, been pretty useless this year so far.  There are three within a 30 minute radius, and each one of them follows the exact same pattern of case reciept and stocking trends:

MONTH ONE:  Wal-Mart gets one case of figures period.

MONTH TWO:  Other toy lines start to overtake the eight pegs where SW figures should be.  Now only four pegs for SW figures.  Wal-Mart gets one more case of the wave that shipped before the last case assortment.

MONTH THREE:  Figures are now down to three varieties (Sun Fac, Poggle, and Derlin) in multiples, although the peg space is now down to two pegs.  The army of Cliffs and Bugs overflow and WM doesn't get anything else but more Transformers.

MONTH FOUR:  Wal-Mart finally gets another case of the first assortment, but by this time, two more waves have come and gone from the other retailers.

Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

Toys R Us is equally useless, although they seem to go through the stock a bit quicker.  I actually saw an Utapau Clone for the first time since early February when I pulled mine from a case at Target there the other day, but it was amongst a fresh restocking of the Retail Death assortment (the one with all the Hoth and Geonosis figures everyone already has in bulk), so I left it behind in case one of the kids circling around that are could get one.  If you need Polis Massans, though, TRU has you more than covered at more than original retail price.

Target is pathetic here.  They get one case a month of the basic figures, and at least 20 cases a month of the other stuff (Transformers, Titanium whatevers, and those horrid "Unleashed" Battle Packs).  The figure pegs stay practically empty except for my old friends Bib and Barada, but everything else is well stocked and even more well restocked. 

So yeah, this whole artificial demand surrounding the "UGH" (never has a name been more accurate) promotion is actually secondary to the absolute drought of basic action figures on the pegs that is making the whole process of just getting one of each new figure to open a headache of the nth degree.  Thanks Hasbro, 11 years and you've learned nothing!  ::)

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 6, 2006, 06:36 PM »
I mainly go to my local flea markets and so far I have only gotten 6 TSC figures from wal-mart/the bay.
Clone Commander Appo.

SilverZ

« Reply #6 on: April 6, 2006, 06:45 PM »
Walmart has been a bit out of my reach lately, but my few trips to them have yielded little, and what is hanging on their pegs has mostly been Hoth wave leftovers. I've given up on them for now.

The reason I gave up on Walmart was Target, which, until the last several weeks, was on fire with new cases. Just unbelievably healthy. I've found all of the Saga waves at one Target or another. If I see remnants at one store, with a bit of persistence I can find the same cases at another nearby store. Even working to get items from the back has been a pleasant experience. But, all good things, you know...

I was on record saying that the Geonosis wave would cause a backlog of figures, and I was really shocked that it didn't come true. Instead, my Target luck has been killed by the unneeded Wave 2.5R2 case, with the Carkoon, Hoth, and Geo remix. It's spilling over the pegs here, and still hasn't stopped. It's been overshipped in obscene amounts, and is preventing the Coruscant (and the UGHs) from finding their way out of backrooms. The pegs can barely support a new case now, and they're drowning in Chewie, Poggle, and Darth Vader.

And TRU and KB are useless here now, too. On top of that, my closest TRU is closing down. So unless Walmart starts coming through, I have to stick with Target and hope those older waves that were stupidly refreshed clear out.

Hey DocP, where ya been?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 6, 2006, 10:40 PM »
For me it's been a mix bag where no place is a clear winner or loser.  Oddly enough I found 2 Cody's at a Walgreens.  My trip back to Illinois in February I found most of the Hoth wave at a Gordman's.  It's all been kind of weird for me and Saga2 this year.   

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 6, 2006, 11:04 PM »
Wal-Marts have sucked this year, after an incredible 2005. Out of 2 WMs that I frequent, there are either no figs at all, or one lonely Rieekan surrounded by Choppers, Titanium, etc.

Target has been hit or miss. They get new waves in, but the pegwarmers stick around while the better figs fly out. I've bought only the Carkoon wave from them so far.

TRU has been great this year, though they've had a shipping slowdown lately. I've picked up the Hoth wave and half of the Geonosis wave from TRU. A pleasant surprise when compared to the ROTS crapfest.

KB and K-Mart left town... we still have a KB, but they haven't had anything new since they got the VOTC ANH wave, so I pretend they don't exist.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 6, 2006, 11:33 PM »
I've completely given up on WM at this point.  I've ranted in other threads about how hard it is to find new stuff there.  DP - I love your comments on the WM stocking trends!!  Made me laugh you did.   :)

TRU?  Many have closed their doors where I live and the only one that's close is backlogged with 30-50 ROTS figs and caked with the Hoth wave.  I'm sure with their upcomming BOGO sale will result in more of the same wave as the pic suggests.

I get most of my stuff from Target.  I'm an early bird hunter so I have the pleasure of competing with the HW guys.  I've never had to run to beat them to the stuff - don't need toys that bad.  Most of the guys have this "first come first served" thing though which is nice.

KB?  Don't even think there's any left in my entire state.

K-Mart.  K what?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: April 6, 2006, 11:50 PM »
Most of my stuff has come from Wal-Mart. I'm always too late when I hit Target, so I usually don't bother with them anymore.

I haven't bought a Saga figure at TRU yet. They're about a month to six weeks behind everyone else when it comes to Star Wars.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 7, 2006, 01:56 AM »
Walmart, which is due to my career and schedule. I teach and am at school so I can only hit a local Target on my way to school. The others are too far out. I will say though that I have hunted hard at Wally and the first 3 waves I cleaned up there with, but Coruscant is harder. It is harder because you have ALOT more people out looking for Cody (and multiples I have found, I mean multiples like some wanting 6 to 10) AND you have the collector/scalper and the scalper out. So you have to hit a store at just the right time in order to score I think. 
I'm off track (no teaching) for 3 weeks now so I'll be back to hitting Targets so that works good for me as a balencing tools. Just in time for the VTSC!
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 7, 2006, 06:28 AM »
I guess if I could 'run' speedwalk to the toy aisle in the morning(not have a job) I would be getting more from them and complain less??

How the hell do you equate "not having a job" with being at a Target at 8am or a WalMart at 7am?

I've got a damn good job, that pays me quite well, and I can hit at least one WalMart and one Target both when they open on my way up to work.

What you really should be saying is "not have a job that requires me to be on the clock before 9am"
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 7, 2006, 09:47 AM »

K-bee..who?

Surprisingly, this has been my best source over the past 3 weeks.  I happen to know the specific time they unload a truck each Friday, and have been there for the 1 case of figures they receive each of the past 3 weeks.  3 weeks ago it was the Hoth/Geonosis mixed case, and for the past 2 weeks it has been Commander Cody and Coruscant.

:o
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 7, 2006, 10:20 AM »

How the hell do you equate "not having a job" with being at a Target at 8am or a WalMart at 7am?

I've got a damn good job, that pays me quite well, and I can hit at least one WalMart and one Target both when they open on my way up to work.

What you really should be saying is "not have a job that requires me to be on the clock before 9am"

Damn already...OK was that was a rough way to say it?! Note there's alot of I's in what I wrote? OK ok maybe I should have said 'unless I want to quit my job to get a new one that req's me to be on the clock before 8am(when my targets open)'. Well...I just figured with all the I's I put in there that folks would determine I wasn't talking about them :-\.

Wow, Dressel- I have not heard really anything from anyone getting anything good at KB toys lately. I guess what I hate is that... over the last few years their prices are so rough that it makes it tougher to spend there and...at least where I live, they get any waves really late like TRU/KMART anyway. :(