Author Topic: Emperor Palpatine (Reclining) V2  (Read 3378 times)

Offline psyclonetrooper

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Emperor Palpatine (Reclining) V2
« on: April 11, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Some of you may remember the seated Emperor Palpatine I did a while back.  I created another version which is not too different than the previous one but it does have a few changes. 

Original Version can be seen here:  Emperor Palpatine Version 1

Version 2:

I will upload more images in the near future.

Version 2 Parts Used:

1. The chair, figure and hands are from POTF2 Final Jedi Duel Cinema Scene.
2. The head and outer cloak and clasp are from ROTS Emperor Palpatine Firing Force Lightning.
3. Arms are from OT Anakin
4. Hood is from POTJ Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi).
5. Unleased Darth Sidious base.

Steps:

1. The chair was removed from the base using a Dremel and sanded. The body was severed in two and readjusted so that it would sit in a reclined position. This took some sanding and reworking to get it just right. I took a lot off the bottom of the figure in order to get it to sit even lower. The arms were added.  The head was removed and not used. The outer cloak (ROTS) was split in the back and carefully glued (using ZAP) to the figure. The cloak is soft enough where you can begin glueing and work your way down making sure the robe sits well on the body. Some trimming will be necessary around the back, underside and near the hands.

2. The head is glued to the body.

3. The hands were painted the same tone as the face and attached to the arms. The arms are then attached using ZAP.

4. The hood was cut from the rest of the cloak and the clasp was added and painted flat black. Since the hood was smooth and the rest of the figure had texture I painted a piece of gauze to the hood and when it was partially dry I removed it. This left a fiberous pattern on the hood. Not great, but better than smooth.

5. Painted the base in semi-gloss black.

Tools Used:

1. Xacto knife
2. Dremel
3. ZAP glue
4. Flat charcoal spray paint (body), gloss black paint (base), Olive, red and light gray for hands.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Re: Emperor Palpatine (Reclining) V2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:44 PM »
very nice!  I'm really suprised we havent gotten something like this from hasblow yet.  With 2 red guards at his sides.  That would be cool!
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 11:18 PM »
That is an incredible looking piece.  I'm amazed at how well an Unleashed base fits in with the 3 3/4 scale pieces.  I still don't see how you got the character to "sit" with the hard plastic/rubber pieces.  I'm going to have to go over your recipe again.  Very nice!!

Offline psyclonetrooper

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 12:35 PM »
That is an incredible looking piece.  I'm amazed at how well an Unleashed base fits in with the 3 3/4 scale pieces.  I still don't see how you got the character to "sit" with the hard plastic/rubber pieces.  I'm going to have to go over your recipe again.  Very nice!!

Well, the figure (POTF Final Jedi Duel Emp) was already sitting but he was just positioned leaning forward in his chair.  What I did was separate the forward leaning torso from the sitting legs and turn it around so that his back was now facing forward.  This makes the figure appear to be reclining. 

Then, I needed to make him sit lower in the chair for two reasons.  One, his head would be too high and two, it looks better, to me, if he is slumped like in the movie.  So, I kept cutting some plastic off his butt until I thought he was sitting low enough.  After that was done I took the ROTS robes and began to glue them carefully to the body.  I started at the neck and worked my way down.  The robes are soft enough and the glue was strong enough to do it.

It's a lot harder to explain than to do but I hope I made some sense here. Not the best pic but the image below shows the cloak in a bit more detail. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:44 PM by psyclonetrooper »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 01:00 PM »
This is a great display piece, very professional looking.  I remember seeing your original version and admiring it.  This version is even better and really comes to life.  What a great addition this would be for Hasbro to offer it.

:)

Offline psyclonetrooper

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 02:35 PM »
This is a great display piece, very professional looking.  I remember seeing your original version and admiring it.  This version is even better and really comes to life.  What a great addition this would be for Hasbro to offer it.

:)

Thanks.  I've been wanting a reclining, snide, sarcastic Emperor on his throne for many years.  I was happy when they released the Final Duel but I didn't like the edge-of-the-seat pose. The chair is really nice though.  Anyway, I saw what Attakus did and just couldn't wait any longer.  I wish I could shrink the Attakus statue down to 1:18.  I love that piece.  I understand that it's not much fun to play with for the kids but dang he just looks so cool kickin back and being overconfident.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I don't know about this one. To me, he seems to be in a very unnatural pose. I mean try sitting in an upright chair with both hands on the arm rests and have you legs in the air. It's not an easy position to hold. Basically, he has his back set firmly against the chair but has his legs up in the air without support. It would seem better if his legs were shorten and made to have his feet on the ground.

The arms and body and head are alot better than the first attempt but in the first attempt you got the legs positioned better. I don't think its quite there yet.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline psyclonetrooper

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 04:45 PM »
I don't know about this one. To me, he seems to be in a very unnatural pose. I mean try sitting in an upright chair with both hands on the arm rests and have you legs in the air. It's not an easy position to hold. Basically, he has his back set firmly against the chair but has his legs up in the air without support. It would seem better if his legs were shorten and made to have his feet on the ground.

The arms and body and head are alot better than the first attempt but in the first attempt you got the legs positioned better. I don't think its quite there yet.

I agree, this bothers me too.  Another thing is, is that the arms are not resting completely on the arm rests.  However, these two issues are an easy fix but in order to do it I have to glue the figure to the chair and his legs to the bottom part of the chair.  I haven't done that because I don't want to ruin this chair.  I will do that as soon as I get another one.